Down vs. Black Label Society

GeddyLeeRoth

Which is the better band?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better band?

• Down
    • Black Label Society

Who do you think is better? Interesting matchup; they both revolve around a metal superstar from previous metal icons from the 80's and 90's, they have both helped carry the torch for metal in the 2000s, and they both rely heavily on playing Sabbath-based riffs. Different sound and over-all style for sure, but very unique as well.

BLS is not even in the same league as DOWN....

I've never heard of Down. When I first saw the thread title I thought it was referring to System Of A Down. Anyone got a good clip?

Anyway, I think Zakk is easily the most overrated guitarist in metal. Same runs, same tone, same annoying pinch harmonics...big yawn. Based on that, I'll vote for Down without actually hearing them.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 22 2011, 04:00 PM)
I've never heard of Down. When I first saw the thread title I thought it was referring to System Of A Down. Anyone got a good clip?

Anyway, I think Zakk is easily the most overrated guitarist in metal. Same runs, same tone, same annoying pinch harmonics...big yawn. Based on that, I'll vote for Down without actually hearing them.

not to mention the pointing to Dime all night onstage, and all those really stupid fist bumps...

lame

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 22 2011, 04:00 PM)

Get NOLA

yer in for a sabbathy treat

Wow, I'm surprised Down is running away with this. Not much love for BLS. I'll go with Black Label. Yeah, NOLA is a classic, but Stronger Than Death, 1919 Eternal, Blessed Hellride and Mafia all f--kin crush. None of Down's follow-ups have done that much for me. And you guys wanna bash Zakk, fair enough, but Phil is a totally underachieved, drug addled, shadow of his former self. Anywho, nice posts! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 23 2011, 01:31 AM)
As much as I hate BLS music, I'll take Zakk over Anselmo anyday. That guy is one of the biggest douchebags I've ever seen. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

well Phils clean hes on. but Ill always take Pepper, Kirk, and Rex over BLS anyday

QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Feb 23 2011, 01:51 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Feb 23 2011, 01:31 AM)
As much as I hate BLS music, I'll take Zakk over Anselmo anyday. That guy is one of the biggest douchebags I've ever seen. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

well Phils clean hes on. but Ill always take Pepper, Kirk, and Rex over BLS anyday

I saw Down about a year ago (I went cuz I f***ing love the Melvins and they were playing too) and Phil just came across as such a cocky and arrogant asshole. I do like Bower and Kirk though.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 22 2011, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Feb 22 2011, 06:43 PM)
System Of A Down by a mile. Zach is so overrated it isn't funny.

Not System of a Down...

Down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_(band)

Oops. laugh.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Feb 23 2011, 07:40 AM)
Never heard down. Checked them out but Zakk still wins for me.

yeah that piano video is awesome

hahaahhahhahahh

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 23 2011, 03:18 PM)
BLS by a mile, just listen to the Order of the Black -- fantastic!!!!

Hmm, OOTB didn't do that much for me. Maybe I should revisit it. If anybody wants to pick up their first BLS album, I would definitely recommend 1919 Eternal.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Feb 24 2011, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Feb 23 2011, 03:18 PM)
BLS by a mile, just listen to the Order of the Black -- fantastic!!!!

Hmm, OOTB didn't do that much for me. Maybe I should revisit it. If anybody wants to pick up their first BLS album, I would definitely recommend 1919 Eternal.

Here are the songs I think are killer, give these another shot:

Godspeed Hell Bound

Crazy Horse

Riders of the Damned

Archived