Why the cape?

IChoseFreeWill

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 21 2011, 06:38 AM)
I thought it was more straightforward - the flashlight is because the lights are down and there are lots of cables around, different venues, different layouts backstage - they don't want to break an ankle before coming on.

The cape (more likely a jacket thrown over the shoulders) is probably because in some places it is pretty chilly until they get under the stage lights.

I go with this reason^^. I noticed at a few of the RR shows I've seen, that when he goes off to the side of the stage while Al & Neil do their solos he often has a blanket/cape like thing on. He sweats on the stage under the lights, and if he's off to the side he might be chilly.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 21 2011, 08:38 AM)
I thought it was more straightforward - the flashlight is because the lights are down and there are lots of cables around, different venues, different layouts backstage - they don't want to break an ankle before coming on.

The cape (more likely a jacket thrown over the shoulders) is probably because in some places it is pretty chilly until they get under the stage lights.

Thank you! I did not know it would be that chilly- maybe it was a colder day when it was filmed. And good point regarding the cables.

See? You can provide a good explanation without resorting to sarcasm.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Feb 21 2011, 09:20 AM)
QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Feb 21 2011, 02:15 AM)
Excuse my supreme nerdliness....but that is a Cloak of Elven kind...notice you could barely see him while he was wearing it...it renders the wearer virtually invisible to the naked eye...and telescopic eye for that matter.

Not that nerdy. I command thee to spend an aeon in your mother's basement, for there is no such word as "Elvin".

Geddy's a witch, hence the shawl which can be mistaken for a cape. Full Stop.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/bigron0050/willis.gif

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Feb 21 2011, 01:25 PM)
I knew I had this photo somewhere.......
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/paz2112/geddyfrank.jpg

biggrin.gif

GeddyFinal.gif

applaudit.gif that's great!

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Feb 21 2011, 01:47 PM)
Steve Howe, Chris Squire and Alan White of Yes - Capes

applaudit.gif

Capes were quite the thing back in the day old.gif

I remember my high school best friend's husband, the bass player in the local band, spray painted his boots gold and wore a black cape with red lining that she made for him... good ol' days... smile.gif

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 21 2011, 06:34 AM)
Wow, only one genuine answer out of 12 or so posts.

Did I tell y'all that I HATE sarcasm? Not to mention the fact that it does NOT work well online. Is it THAT hard to get a legitimate answer to a genuine question?

so not only was your question answered, you got a bucket load of humour as a bonus... what are you whining about??

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 21 2011, 07:34 AM)

Did I tell y'all that I HATE sarcasm? Not to mention the fact that it does NOT work well online. Is it THAT hard to get a legitimate answer to a genuine question?

I, however, thought the responses were funny and enjoyed the thread much more for them.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 21 2011, 07:34 AM)

Sarcasm my butt....every one of the responses you got are true!!!

QUOTE (tel @ Feb 24 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Feb 22 2011, 02:12 PM)
and whats with the bags on the shoes thing?

this anyone? confused13.gif

If you're refering to Neil, backstage at Rush in Rio DVD, I think it was because at one of the shows, there was alot of rain. Bags on the shoes, at least until he makes it to his kit, is likely to prevent moisture from gathering on the soles of his drum shoes.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 25 2011, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Feb 24 2011, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (tel @ Feb 22 2011, 02:12 PM)
and whats with the bags on the shoes thing?

this anyone? confused13.gif

If you're refering to Neil, backstage at Rush in Rio DVD, I think it was because at one of the shows, there was alot of rain. Bags on the shoes, at least until he makes it to his kit, is likely to prevent moisture from gathering on the soles of his drum shoes.

done and done,that figures wink.gif

I was told by an "insider" with the band that Geddy sometimes will get cold when he is off stage during the intermission and drum solo. So, he will have a blanket or overcoat with him just in case. He's a pretty lean guy, so that would make sense, especially after being under the hot stage lights for a couple hours. This was told to me by someone who regularly sits off stage on Geddy's side, and chats with him during those times.

I dunno...take that for what it's worth, I guess. confused13.gif

Archived