Exercise, Diet & Health

Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 16 2011, 04:30 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 16 2011, 01:27 PM)
Those who know me, know I go to McDonald's way too often.  Mind you, we hardly eat any of the burgers, mainly breakfast items.

We have to stop.

I think their breakfast items aren't so bad. Just don't get the hash browns. But something like a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit (honestly) isn't that bad. Don't eat one every morning but every now and then should be fine. I treat myself to one of those every so often. They're good!

Probably 2-3 times a week. I try to share the hash brown with my son.

Now I have to cut back on these energy drinks. Way too many of those.

Good topic. As a 54 year old woman, this issue has become important to me mainly out of necessity. I've joined a gym but it's a struggle to enjoy it and I should go more often. I could be in better shape than I am, but I am in better shape than I was 10 years ago. Also, as I've aged, I can't tolerate certain foods anymore. Nuts give me severe heartburn, chocolate gives me monster headaches, and gluten products hurt my stomach, so I avoid those things. My drinking is also scaled back.

fists crying.gif

More fruits and veggies are in my diet now. I take supplements (multi-vitamins, Vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, fish oil, hemp oil, apple cidar vinegar, green drinks) and monitor my PH level. Prevention of future health issues is my goal also.

I also see an acupuncturist to keep things flowing properly.

Edited by rushforumnewuser

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Feb 17 2011, 07:26 PM)
Good topic.  As a 54 year old woman, this issue has become important to me  mainly out of necessity.  I've joined a gym but it's a struggle to enjoy it and I should go more often.  I could be in better shape than I am, but I am in better shape than I was 10 years ago.  Also, as I've aged, I can't tolerate certain foods anymore.  Nuts give me severe heartburn, chocolate gives me monster headaches, and gluten products hurt my stomach, so I avoid those things.  My drinking is also scaled back.                                                                                   
fists crying.gif

More fruits and veggies are in my diet now. I take supplements (multi-vitamins, Vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, fish oil, hemp oil, apple cidar vinegar, green drinks) and monitor my PH level.  Prevention of future health issues is my goal also.

I also see an acupuncturist to keep things flowing properly.

How often do you take all of those supplements!? That is a lot. One multi vitamin should be all you need. Fish oil is good too but be careful about how many vitamins and minerals you're actually getting vs how much your body needs. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, meaning, your body stores it and excess amounts (when built up over time) can be toxic.

What is it about the gym that makes it hard to enjoy being there? Sometimes, I would take a book and sit on the bikes and read and read and read. It helped me block out everything around me.

Edited by Janie

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 16 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 16 2011, 01:27 PM)
Those who know me, know I go to McDonald's way too often.  Mind you, we hardly eat any of the burgers, mainly breakfast items.

We have to stop.

I think their breakfast items aren't so bad. Just don't get the hash browns. But something like a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit (honestly) isn't that bad. Don't eat one every morning but every now and then should be fine. I treat myself to one of those every so often. They're good!

mcmuffin with cheese and a cup of coffee. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 16 2011, 03:33 PM)
I used to be hardcore though:

3-4 times a week at the gym
2 protein shakes a day
2 creatine shots a day
1 ZMA dose a day
1 multi-vitamin.

I probably spent $2000 a year on supplements. You get an edge, but not a huge edge. Just eat right.

it's better you gave up the high protein stuff. you're body only needs so much protein and the rest is filtered out. anything in excess puts alot of strain on your kidneys.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 16 2011, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 16 2011, 03:28 PM)
A few new steps I've added to my diet are taking a fish oil supplement (1000 mg) every night with dinner and taking a protein supplement right before hitting the gym since it's there where I work on building up and toning muscle. I'm using a protein powder that I mix with water. My trainer said she adds her protein supplement (also powder) to her oatmeal and includes some peanut butter. I was going to try that this morning but opted for a toasted english muffin instead. I do want to try this though because it sounds really good.

I've not been to a gym since about 1978 at primary school!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

i'll take a brisk walk and fresh air over a stench filled gym and sweat covered machines any day. i like to take brisk walks to the pizzeria. tongue.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 18 2011, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 16 2011, 03:33 PM)
I used to be hardcore though:

3-4 times a week at the gym
2 protein shakes a day
2 creatine shots a day
1 ZMA dose a day
1 multi-vitamin.

I probably spent $2000 a year on supplements.  You get an edge, but not a huge edge.  Just eat right.

it's better you gave up the high protein stuff. you're body only needs so much protein and the rest is filtered out. anything in excess puts alot of strain on your kidneys.

Yeah I quit all that long ago. Unless you're working out all the time, taking all those would cause more harm than good.

I did pick up a bottle of this the other day though. This stuff does wonders for you:

http://udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 16 2011, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (tkdryan @ Feb 16 2011, 08:05 AM)
I am not much of a runner,  My cardio comes from my Martial Arts ,, such as Forms,  and bag work,  and Sparring ,, Try hitting a bag Janie,, it releases a ton of energy and stress ,,, you wil feel it too,  try going for two minutes per round,, though make aure you are wearing bag gloves for your hands

I will admit that my upper body remains weak. I've never had really strong arms. I'm starting to concentrate on that. And you're right, working on your core muscles is very important. Another area I'm trying to focus on.

And my butt.

I think I will always have my trouble spots!

My fav exercise for the gluts(BUTT)

Lie on your back hands at your side,

you want your knees bent so your feet are flat on the ground

dig your heels into the ground and push your hips toward the ceiling , then back down to starting position, this also works the hamstrings

do 6 20 second intervals with 10 sec rest between each set

Try to do as many as you can in each interval, but dont sacrifice form, push hips upward till you feel your gluts are tight as possible

( note walking might feel funny the next day)

My guilty fast food pleasure is Dunkin Donuts. Not just coffee but I love their bagels. I love their egg white sandwhiches, which are on the "healthy" menu though I can guess they are full of salt and processed crap. The muffins are yummy too. Though I love eating "clean" as Janie pointed out, I can't give up the Dunkin! I eat there a LOT less than I used to and try to look at it more as a treat now, even the coffee as they presweeten any of the flavored coffees.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 18 2011, 10:26 AM)
I have this door device you hang on any household door and you do pull-ups. I think I paid like $50 for it and it does wonders.

the pullup is the one exercise i dislike the most. i think because i can't do many of them. i haven't done a pullup in years and probably won't do one for the rest of my life if i have a say in it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 18 2011, 12:00 PM)
My guilty fast food pleasure is Dunkin Donuts. Not just coffee but I love their bagels. I love their egg white sandwhiches, which are on the "healthy" menu though I can guess they are full of salt and processed crap. The muffins are yummy too. Though I love eating "clean" as Janie pointed out, I can't give up the Dunkin! I eat there a LOT less than I used to and try to look at it more as a treat now, even the coffee as they presweeten any of the flavored coffees.

i like that eggwhite veg on flatbread sandwich with a cup of coffee. check out the sodium on that sandwich. i think i need to stop eating them.

http://www.dietfacts.com/html/nutrition-fa...white-55476.htm

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 18 2011, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 18 2011, 10:26 AM)
I have this door device you hang on any household door and you do pull-ups.  I think I paid like $50 for it and it does wonders.

the pullup is the one exercise i dislike the most. i think because i can't do many of them. i haven't done a pullup in years and probably won't do one for the rest of my life if i have a say in it. tongue.gif

There are a few exercises I call "complete exercises":

- pullups

- pushups

- squats

- situps

You do those and you cover virtually every muscle

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 16 2011, 02:28 PM)
A few new steps I've added to my diet are taking a fish oil supplement (1000 mg) every night with dinner and taking a protein supplement right before hitting the gym since it's there where I work on building up and toning muscle. I'm using a protein powder that I mix with water. My trainer said she adds her protein supplement (also powder) to her oatmeal and includes some peanut butter. I was going to try that this morning but opted for a toasted english muffin instead. I do want to try this though because it sounds really good.

Here's my morning protein shake:

8 oz water

8 oz milk

2 scoops protein powder (Vanilla)

1 scoop chopped oats (I put them into an electric chopper/processor to turn them into a rough powder form)

1 teaspoon Orange flavoured, sugar free, Metamucil

Perfect meal replacement meal. Can cut in half if need be for those not looking for so much.

As for me, I've been active almost my whole life. I've been involved in road cycling (numerous century days), running, triathlons, power lifting, Scottish Highland Games (heavy events, throwing the caber is one of the events), Tae Kwon Do, etc.

Unfortunately, I've also gone through some serious health issues and have had to take time off here and there. Currently, I'm focusing on some personal matters so my triathlon training is suffering. But, I had already figured this would be an off year and I'll just exercise as I'm able to.

If people are looking for information, guidance, etc. I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge with them. I've had some great coaching over the years. Everything from world ranked athletes working with me, strength and conditioning coaches for sports teams, to highly respected collegiate and US Olympics coaches.

trink39.gif

I gotta get off the muffins... I'm not gaining weight currently, in fact I am losing weight... dunno why. But I heard they aren't very healthy for you, which sucks because when Im in clinic, I like grabbing a muffin in between clients, to get that carb rush right before I see my next one.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Feb 20 2011, 07:00 PM)
I gotta get off the muffins... I'm not gaining weight currently, in fact I am losing weight... dunno why. But I heard they aren't very healthy for you, which sucks because when Im in clinic, I like grabbing a muffin in between clients, to get that carb rush right before I see my next one.

Muffins are awesome. I like the "morning" ones the best, the ones with the carrots and raisins and stuff -- they're tasty and sweet and filling. But yeah, full of empty carbs and fat.

But one or two a week won't kill you.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Feb 20 2011, 06:00 PM)

They're made of white flour typically which isn't good for you. My wife makes mini banana muffins which are a weakness of mine. Especially when warmed. Just like blueberry mini muffins. banghead.gif