Would you guys put Lerxt

Good,bad,andrush

on a list with the top 25 shredders of all time?

I have a friend who thinks the best guitarist in the world is the one who can shred the fastest. Obviously, he's wrong. He doesn't like Rush because he just can't get over Geddy's voice, and he's heard like two songs. He says Neil's the most overrated drummer in the world and that he doesn't deserve to be in the top ten, and that Geddy is not even a good bassist, and that Lerxt just sucks at guitar because he can't shred.

I showed him LVS at Pinkpop, and he said that was alright.

I don't know why I'm friends with this guy, haha, but either way, I am trying my best to convince him Lerxt is a top 10 guitarist in the world, and here are my reasons so far. I just need your opinions to see where he stands in the world of shredding, because unfortunately...I don't think he can play that fast compared to some hardcore metal guys. Here are my reasons:

1.Alex can play many types of guitars and can play very well in any genre.

2.His forty-year long career shows just how many styles he's covered, and his song-writing abilities are very unique and crafty.

3.He plays with a lot of emotion and plays very complex rhythms that have inspired many other guitarists.

4.His career has showed us he can play blues, jazz, country, folk, metal, pop, classic rock, spanish, classical, alternative, and many more, and most importantly prog, which is one of the most difficult forms of music.

5.He is probably a top 25 shredder, as evidenced by Working Man (Live), The Hemispheres Album, and his complex solos in Freewill, Natural Science, and The Analog Kid.

6.He's played some of the most emotional solos ever, such as the one in Limelight, Kid Gloves, LVS, Bravado, and The Pass.

I would. Just listen to how well he plays different styles. Listen to Hope, La Villa, and 2112. Just listen to how broad his spectrum is. And the man can shred if he needs to, but Alex doesn't have an ego. His goal is to craft the perfect texture and tone...not shred all over a song so he can prove to everyone how accomplished a guitarist he is.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 10 2011, 02:08 PM)
I would. Just listen to how well he plays different styles. Listen to Hope, La Villa, and 2112. Just listen to how broad his spectrum is. And the man can shred if he needs to, but Alex doesn't have an ego. His goal is to craft the perfect texture and tone...not shred all over a song so he can prove to everyone how accomplished a guitarist he is.

Thanks, I'm looking for comments like these smile.gif

Some people are just close-minded, I can't believe somebody would say Lerxt sucks. Even if you don't like prog, you've got to admit Alex is one of the best guitarists around. I mean come one! He rights music for the greatest rhythm section to have ever lived.

Lifeson is not a "shredder" by any known description or measure. "Shredder" is not a euphemism for "good guitarist" or "fast soloist."

Shredders are guitarists who make their name by playing blindingly fast, not just solos but riffs too. Lifeson does shred occasionally but it's certainly not what he is known for.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 10 2011, 02:18 PM)
Lifeson is not a "shredder" by any known description or measure. "Shredder" is not a euphemism for "good guitarist" or "fast soloist."
Shredders are guitarists who make their name by playing blindingly fast, not just solos but riffs too. Lifeson does shred occasionally but it's certainly not what he is known for.

This.

I wouldn't put Lerxst too high in the top 25 shredders, but more around the 20-25 area. He has his moments though, I'll admit that, but his style isn't based around shredding at all.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 10 2011, 01:18 PM)

Exactly........he wouldn't be in any "Top" shredders list IMO. He isn't a shredder at all.

Shredders basically write music that revolves around their chops. Alex doesnt fit into this category, even though, back in the day, he could rip it up when needed.

I'm sorry, but shredding is kind of overrated. Watching it live or from someone like Jimi Hendrix is different, but after a while it starts to show up all.. the... time... And then it loses its flavour.

Variety and originality over speed! Some of Alex's best solos (imo) have been when he just gradually builds it up and up until he's just flying over the fingerboard. But that's why it's so great! Because it catches your attention and grabs you. The LVS solo sucks me in every time. I could never get tired of it.

All good things in moderation. Why do you think so many young guitarists (like, high school/early college age) have issues getting into good jazz groups? They don't know how to work with a melody. They just know how to play really fast.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 10 2011, 07:13 PM)
I'm sorry, but shredding is kind of overrated. Watching it live or from someone like Jimi Hendrix is different, but after a while it starts to show up all.. the... time... And then it loses its flavour.

Variety and originality over speed! Some of Alex's best solos (imo) have been when he just gradually builds it up and up until he's just flying over the fingerboard. But that's why it's so great! Because it catches your attention and grabs you. The LVS solo sucks me in every time. I could never get tired of it.

All good things in moderation. Why do you think so many young guitarists (like, high school/early college age) have issues getting into good jazz groups? They don't know how to work with a melody. They just know how to play really fast.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Feb 10 2011, 07:13 PM)

And this is the reason why I say Alex is one of the top 25 shredders.

His shredding is always in perfect portions, it is fast, and it is complex, and most importantly melodic. He's not a shredder, you guys are right; but when he does it, he proves he could be amazing at it.

as stated, not a shredder. playing "different" kinds of guitars (as the op put it) is not really impressive. It seems like there is something to this unless you actually play. Acoustic, electric, 12 string guitars are not different enough to be a big deal and the bouzouki is something someone familiar with a stringed instrument would pick up quickly. I'm a lot more impressed with someone like Prince that has been known th play every instrument on his albums.

Having said that, Alex should be highly respected for his ability to create fantastic music. Most shredders cannot do this.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 10 2011, 09:25 PM)
as stated, not a shredder. playing "different" kinds of guitars (as the op put it) is not really impressive. It seems like there is something to this unless you actually play. Acoustic, electric, 12 string guitars are not different enough to be a big deal and the bouzouki is something someone familiar with a stringed instrument would pick up quickly. I'm a lot more impressed with someone like Prince that has been known th play every instrument on his albums.

Having said that, Alex should be highly respected for his ability to create fantastic music. Most shredders cannot do this.

Yeah, I play a whole bunch of instruments too. I agree with you. If you play one, it's not too difficult to play them all. But he shows a mastery over all of them, and all styles.

>Alex is one of the top 25 shredders.

>He's not a shredder, you guys are right

I think you accidentally your post.

I wouldn't place Alex in the top 25 shredders, but his speed isn't why I like his playing. Every solo he does is just "right" for the song and he makes so many different sounds that even after 35 or so years he is still fresh and interesting. Speed can be impressive, but it is hardly the measuring stick for great playing. If that was the case Eric Clapton would not be thought of as an exceptional guitarist.

QUOTE (TheWhalerfan @ Feb 11 2011, 01:28 AM)
I wouldn't place Alex in the top 25 shredders, but his speed isn't why I like his playing. Every solo he does is just "right" for the song and he makes so many different sounds that even after 35 or so years he is still fresh and interesting. Speed can be impressive, but it is hardly the measuring stick for great playing. If that was the case Eric Clapton would not be thought of as an exceptional guitarist.

Exactly. Ditto with Hendrix, Allman, Page (and pretty much every other guitarist that ends up ranking in the top 5 in polls)

QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 10 2011, 02:18 PM)

100 percent agree. Obviously, I love to listen to his playing, but shred never comes to mind as an adjective. That being said, as impressive as shredding is, I kind of get bored after a few minutes of it. I want some emotion and melody mixed in. The person who blended shred with smooth slow melodic and emotional playing for me was John Sykes.

Archived