Gerry Rafferty

Tick

Baker Street. Right Down The Line.

He had some really nice tunes. R.I.P. rose.gif

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 20:52

Gerry Rafferty dies, aged 63

The Scottish singer and songwriter Gerry Rafferty has died following an illness. He was 63.

The Paisley-born musician was best known for his 1972 hit Stuck in the Middle With You with his band Stealers Wheel.

He tasted more success in 1978 with the song Baker Street which reached number 3 in the UK charts and number 2 in the US.

The song was recognised by musicians rights organisation the BMI at an awards ceremony London last October, for having been played over 5 million times worldwide.

Stuck in the Middle With You came to prominence again in 1992 when it featured in Quentin Tarantino's Resevoir Dogs .

Rafferty, who battled alcoholism for many years, was admitted to hospital in Bournemouth in November with suspected liver failure.

He is survived by daughter Martha, granddaughter Celia, and his brother Jim.

Merged tick's and HA&S' threads. Posted at almost the exact same time. Tick wins!

The guitar solo in "Baker Street" was one of the first I tried to learn when I first picked up the guitar. Of course I was too inexperienced to pull it off, but it still inspired me to try.

RIP, Gerry.

sad.gif

He had some great songs. Baker Street and Right Down The Line are lifelong classics.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 4 2011, 05:17 PM)
AAAAGHH!!!! Denied by the tickster. But they're both 10:02!!!! I demand a recount.

But, it's your benevolent dictatorship, so I'll just slink off and be a good little bitchboy. Your highness.

When threads are merged, all posts, even the original posts, are sorted chronologically. I have no control over which one remains as the lead post -- the board determines that. Tick won fair and square. yes.gif

You bloody peasant...

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

RIP Gerry, you'll be missed rose.gif sad.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 4 2011, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 4 2011, 10:22 PM)
RIP

Had some great songs

Worked with Billy Connolly too in the old days

that's right, the Humblebums.

My favourite tune of his. I had it on 7", lost it, got it recently again for 50p.

and don't forget, Stealers Wheel ("Stuck in the Middle with You").

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 4 2011, 10:35 PM)
AAAAGHH!!!! Denied by the tickster. But they're both 10:02!!!! I demand a recount.

But, it's your benevolent dictatorship, so I'll just slink off and be a good little bitchboy. Your highness.

When threads are merged, all posts, even the original posts, are sorted chronologically. I have no control over which one remains as the lead post -- the board determines that. Tick won fair and square. yes.gif

You bloody peasant...

(tugging my forelock as I type with one finger)

Reminds me of a bloody awful/splendid joke:

"Sire, sire, the peasants are revolting!!"

"Oh, they're not that bad."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 4 2011, 10:35 PM)

You bloody peasant...

Typical home-decision if you ask me. If TRF was based in Illaungraffanavrankagh in County Clare, I'd have won. Oh yes.

Your majesty.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 4 2011, 05:13 PM)
Merged tick's and HA&S' threads. Posted at almost the exact same time. Tick wins!

The guitar solo in "Baker Street" was one of the first I tried to learn when I first picked up the guitar. Of course I was too inexperienced to pull it off, but it still inspired me to try.

RIP, Gerry.

That was a great solo from a great song! RIP.

It was a couple years ago that Rafferty "disappeared" after admitting himself to a hospital. People were trying to find him for months, and he was presumed dead. But he was fine.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jan 4 2011, 11:17 PM)
"Baker Street" is one of those songs that takes me back to my youth. It conjurs up very good memories. How sad that he's gone. sad.gif

Yeah, every time I hear that song, I think about the book The Stand (by Stephen King). I was reading that book when Baker Street was popular and it always seemed to come on the radio during reading time.

RIP Gerry.