What was the last truly great album?

Tick

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was tough to answer 'cuz since I became a fan in '81 I would listen to every record that came 'til I knew it note for note up until CP.

But in the past few years I'm finding it hard to listen to the stuff after PoW.

And I'm a huge fan of P/G but I wouldn't consider it a masterpiece...So I'm going...

Signals.

hard to say now isn't it?

P/G?

Power Windows?

SIGNALS!!

Hold your Fire has it's moments. Turn the Page, Force 10, TSS.

Presto just lost me. Where's the progressive element that we all loved? NOPE

The latest stuff is hit and miss. Some good and more throwaways than I care to recall.

The last truly great album is........

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE #1

Geddys' ode to Holocaust Victims

The loss of loved ones. Afterimage (sick instrumental)

FEAR

Distant is classic odd meter mixed with pop intentions. Excellent

Body Electric... our relationship to the technology we create?

Kid Gloves... quirky rocker about growing up and dealing with the world around us.

Red Lenses- Neil going Neil on the topic of the color red and making it contemporary to the times. Love the climax after the solo section.

BETWEEN THE WHEELS.

BETWEEN THE WHEELS.

BETWEEN THE WHEELS.

SIGNALS#2

Beat's Power Windows because Geddy played bass on most of the choruses.(If I remember right)

MOVING PICTURES may be the ultimate cross between their progressive intentions and their mainstream sensibilities. Possibly their best album overall.

God I love this band.

My 2 cents after a couple of cold ones.

Good Night TRF

trink38.gif schla03.gif

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 19 2011, 09:21 AM)
Vapor Trails.
and it will go down as one of their best.

Oh, and Gabrielle Drake was better than Nick...

Oh no it won't tongue.gif

My daddy refuses to listen to it, and I look up to my dad - he's 6'2" and I'm 5'3" - I respect his judgement.

QUOTE (JPRushHed @ Feb 19 2011, 02:21 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

According to rateyourmusic, where several hundred, and often thousands of people vote on each Rush album, VT is parked pretty much at the very bottom as second to last, only being marginally beaten by T4E as the album widely considered to be their worst. The people have spoken. The results are all there for anyone to see. SOURCE

So I will give you that the album may go down for YOU as one of their best, but according to the population at large who've listened to Rush albums... yeah, not so much. no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 07:52 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

According to rateyourmusic, where several hundred, and often thousands of people vote on each Rush album, VT is parked pretty much at the very bottom as second to last, only being marginally beaten by T4E as the album widely considered to be their worst. The people have spoken. The results are all there for anyone to see. SOURCE

So I will give you that the album may go down for YOU as one of their best, but according to the population at large who've listened to Rush albums... yeah, not so much. no.gif

orig. post asked for individual opinions, not the masses and not your skewed version of what you think everyone else should feel... wtf.gif

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Feb 19 2011, 06:53 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

orig. post asked for individual opinions, not the masses and not your skewed version of what you think everyone else should feel... wtf.gif

laugh.gif again.

he's entitled to express his opinion, as am i.

he was saying that VT will "go down as one of their best." i was merely commenting that, with some hard facts and figures to back it up, that is simply not the case. for him personally it might be the case, but in general, not even close.

and just because i'm opinionated and express my opinions doesn't mean for a second that i think everyone else or anyone else should feel anything. everyone is entitled to feel about rush and any given album whatever they like. i hold no illusions that my opinions will ever change anyone else's opinions, just as i know other people's opinions won't change how i feel. should that stop us from expressing our opinions and engaging in discussion?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 02:02 PM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

he was saying that VT will "go down as one of their best." i was merely commenting that, with some hard facts and figures to back it up, that is simply not the case. for him personally it might be the case, but in general, not even close.

and just because i'm opinionated and express my opinions doesn't mean for a second that i think everyone else or anyone else should feel anything. everyone is entitled to feel about rush and any given album whatever they like. i hold no illusions that my opinions will ever change anyone else's opinions, just as i know other people's opinions won't change how i feel. should that stop us from expressing our opinions and engaging in discussion?

I've seen JPRushHed posting over at Counterparts, I think he's a Troll smile.gif

Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

Well they've also got Hold Your Fire and Snakes & Arrows rated higher than the absolute classic that is the first album. So I don't know what that proves other than the general population gets it wrong as often as they get it right.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Feb 19 2011, 08:38 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

Well they've also got Hold Your Fire and Snakes & Arrows rated higher than the absolute classic that is the first album. So I don't know what that proves other than the general population gets it wrong as often as they get it right.

understood, but i would never claim that Rush or Hold Your Fire will "go down as one of their best." the votes are in, and it simply is not the case, even though i personally disagree vehemently with a lot of people's assessments about those two albums.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 10:44 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

understood, but i would never claim that Rush or Hold Your Fire will "go down as one of their best." the votes are in, and it simply is not the case, even though i personally disagree vehemently with a lot of people's assessments about those two albums.

that poll was rigged. they had illegals casting votes. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 10:02 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

History will not show Vapor Trails as one of the greatest albums of there career. Its up to the real fans to determine these things for themselves.

I personally think S&A is vastly overrated but I'm happy it brought much success to my beloved Rush.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 19 2011, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 10:02 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

laugh.gif again.

History will not show Vapor Trails as one of the greatest albums of there career. Its up to the real fans to determine these things for themselves.

I personally think S&A is vastly overrated but I'm happy it brought much success to my beloved Rush.

Rock on! atickhum.gif

yea that's great it put money in their pockets but i wanted something i could listen to and enjoy. they had great early on success and this gave them the room to do anything and still have people turn out for the shows.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 19 2011, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 19 2011, 10:44 AM)
Vapor Trails.

laugh.gif

In what universe?

that poll was rigged. they had illegals casting votes. tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Archived