Bass Players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

Am I crazy?

I got my bass about 3 weeks ago and I've been playing it via Rocksmith and really enjoying it.

The bass I bought is a Squier Affinity "Stop Dreaming and Start Playing" starter pack which cost roughly $300 and came with the guitar, a little amp and a case. Well.. I'm not really using the amp at all since I really just play it with Rocksmith.

Here is why I'm asking if I'm crazy...

I'm still within the Guitar Center holiday return period and my local GC has a Geddy Jazz for $500.

I can easily return this squier and pick up the Geddy for an extra $200. I'm kinda torn here.

Part of me says "Hell yeah! Grab the Geddy!" The other part says don't spend anything extra.

Decisions decisions!

Try out the Geddy. If it doesn't blow you away with how it feels and sounds, don't bother. Nothing crazy about wanting better gear (to a point, anyways...GAS can be crippling!) but there are definitely some Geddy Jazz Basses out there that aren't really any better than a good Squier, and some that are okay but not worth the extra dough.
  • Like 1

Am I crazy?

I got my bass about 3 weeks ago and I've been playing it via Rocksmith and really enjoying it.

The bass I bought is a Squier Affinity "Stop Dreaming and Start Playing" starter pack which cost roughly $300 and came with the guitar, a little amp and a case. Well.. I'm not really using the amp at all since I really just play it with Rocksmith.

Here is why I'm asking if I'm crazy...

I'm still within the Guitar Center holiday return period and my local GC has a Geddy Jazz for $500.

I can easily return this squier and pick up the Geddy for an extra $200. I'm kinda torn here.

Part of me says "Hell yeah! Grab the Geddy!" The other part says don't spend anything extra.

Decisions decisions!

You are not crazy. If you like it and it sounds good then it is good. However a Geddy for $500 is a real bargain too. Make sure it's not a dog first. If it's not that different from the Squier then get it. You've already spent the $300 so it's almost like a trade in for $200.

Well my basses:

-Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special (Primary)

-Hofner HI BBass (Backup)

I use my Hofner less since its pretty fragile in my mind and I don't want to mess it up, and im deciding on changing the tuning pegs...

The Squier is probably gonna be modified in the future with a new pickguard, neck, and bridge...

Amps:

-Acoustic B10 Bass Amp

-Unknown brand Bass Amp that says its 40, but its not! haha

I connect to the sound system, but im probably gonna buy a pre-amp soon and use that for the sound system...

Just thought I'd give a little update.. since upgrading to the Geddy I don't have an amp so I got one of these little guys from Monoprice for when I want to just noodle around on the bass without being hooked up to the PC and Rocksmith

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150102&p_id=611500&seq=1&format=2

It's nice because I can plug in and just hear myself playing through headphones :)

Now I need to find a little tuner I can plug into on the cheap. It's a pain to schelp the bass up to my PC just so I can get it in tune

I've had several Geddy jazz basses and I just can't get used to the necks. I keep wanting to love them, but end up trading them off or selling them. The best one I had was a sunburst Japanese model right after the sunbursts came out. Nice neck but the bass weighed over 9 lbs. and it was just killing my back.

Craigslist would probably be your better bet. Pawnshops tend to go by eBay prices which aren't the best deals. You can also check out Guitar Center's used site. As far as what to look for you really need to play them and listen to them but on the whole get at least a 10 inch speaker if you can find one and at least 50 watts. Especially if you play with any volume along with CD's or anything. Much below 50 watts is really pretty quiet. I had a 40 watt practice amp at one time and unless I sat right in front of it it was really not loud enough. And I don't practice really loud. Edited by EagleMoon

I disagree. 50 watts is pretty damn loud. If you're playing with a drummer then 50 would be a minimum. I have an Ampeg Bass 100 that's 100 watts and I use it when I play with others and don't go much past 6 or 7 on that thing when on stage or with a drummer jamming. I have a Fender Deluxe from the 70s and that's like 23 watts and it barely gets over 3 before it's too loud. I have a Marshall class 5 that's 5 watts and it can be played with a drummer. It's all dependent upon who makes it as to how wattage translates to volume. Wattage is a but of a misnomer. For about $100 you should be able to find a decent practice amp to jam with CDs. If you like rocksmith try checking out IK Multimedia's StealthPlug which is a USB to instrument cable that comes with Amplitube. I have one and it's great for learning things it jamming with my iTunes library. It's got its own phone jack. If you use a Mac you can run out of the Mac speakers or your DAW instead.

Fender makes small bass combos that will totally get you what you want, and for not much money, but maybe just over $100.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

If you're gonna be playing with a drummer, be packing at least 100 watts. You won't have to overrun your amp so much. I have a full Hartke setup. 250 watt head and a 4X10 cab... I like to make my band a little nervous. Keep up with me, guys. :haz:

Two thumbs up on the Mexi-Jazz. And Precision. Take your preference. I've had two Mexi-Jazzes. Sold the first (a '95 I bought new), won't make that mistake again. I have a 2003 with a tortioseshell pickguard and strung with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys... perfect. They'll probably stick me in the oven with this thing when I'm done for.

Nice price. I have never come across a quiet Orange amp. They have their own wattage rating too.

I'm pretty proud of myself.. I basically have the 2 main riffs of Another One Bites The Dust down pat.

Probably one of the easiest iconic bass riffs ever but still.. it's an accomplishment! (even if my finger technique is WAY off.. I can still hit the notes :P )

I can also do the intro of Money (Pink Floyd) but my technique is horrible.. I don't yet have the strength in my pinkie to do it properly.

• Like 2

I need a little help here.

I've decided to get my bass "Setup" at a local shop and I need a little input.

There are 2 places fairly nearby that I'm trying to decide between.

The first place gets AWESOME reviews.. and when I called the guy I could tell he was more than qualified.. BUT he charges $65 for a "basic setup" and he said he's running about a week out.. and he doesn't take reservations. You drop your guitar off and he puts it in line.. and when your number pops up, he does your guitar.

I could tell this dude would do a great job.. and from the sound of things he's the most thorough of the people I called. But the 'vibe' was rather cold.. though in no way objectionable

The 2nd place I'm considering is a store that I went into today, met the owner and got a REAL NICE vibe from the place. And he only charges $25 for the setup ... and he runs a 1 day turnaround usually. My reservation with this guy is it doesn't seem like he's into detailing the bass like the first guy said he would. But this place is much cheaper and faster.

Which would you choose?

Question #2

I bought my bass (Geddy Signature) 2nd hand from Guitar Center and I have no idea what kind of strings are on it or how old they are. They don't seem 'dead' to me but everything I hear is that I should get new strings with the setup. My fingers are pretty much used to the strings now.. I don't get any ripping pain when I play around anymore... so what would youz guys suggest for strings for a beginner?

I can easily order a set of RS66LD but is that the best choice for a beginner who is still building up finger strength?

Your input is mucho appreciated!

Well, knowing the gauge that's on it will help a little because that will determine overall string tension which is what affects dexterity. Rotosounds are nice but expensive. I use GHS Boomers. They are similar to Rotos but cheaper and seem to last longer for me. Fender makes good strings too as do D'Addario. Geddy's ship with .045-.105 gauge which is fairly common. Though I think Geddy himself uses a .100 E string, or at least he used to. A little less tension but also a little less bottom.

As for someone to set you up (if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself) you get what you pay for. You may take it to Mr. $25 only to have to take it to Mr.$ 65 later. If the guy seems cold he just may do a lot of these and doesn't know you yet. Also guys who are good can be a little crochity. If he has a waiting period that means he's good because everybody takes their guitars to him. You should find out what his basic setup includes and compare that to what the $25 setup includes. At the very least it should include a fresh restring, intonation, truss rod adjustment and perhaps a strobe tuning.

The other thing to consider is that you may take your bass in for a set up but that doesn't mean it'll be set up correctly for you. Everyone should eventually learn how to set up their own instruments. One wealth of knowledge is the Talkbass Forum. There are some awesome people there and if you have any questions about I almost anything you can find the answers there. A good place to buy bass strings is www.bassstringsonline.com Really good prices. Rotosounds aren't that expensive. I usually use DR strings. I just love the way they feel and sound. Finding bass strings that work for you can be a bit of a process. I've tried lots of brands over the years. Some strings work better for certain basses than for others. But if you're just starting out the tech can measure the strings and tell you what gauge they are. Then you can get some in that gauge or close to it if you like them.
  • Like 1

I need a little help here.

I've decided to get my bass "Setup" at a local shop and I need a little input.

There are 2 places fairly nearby that I'm trying to decide between.

The first place gets AWESOME reviews.. and when I called the guy I could tell he was more than qualified.. BUT he charges $65 for a "basic setup" and he said he's running about a week out.. and he doesn't take reservations. You drop your guitar off and he puts it in line.. and when your number pops up, he does your guitar.

I could tell this dude would do a great job.. and from the sound of things he's the most thorough of the people I called. But the 'vibe' was rather cold.. though in no way objectionable

The 2nd place I'm considering is a store that I went into today, met the owner and got a REAL NICE vibe from the place. And he only charges $25 for the setup ... and he runs a 1 day turnaround usually. My reservation with this guy is it doesn't seem like he's into detailing the bass like the first guy said he would. But this place is much cheaper and faster.

Which would you choose?

Question #2

I bought my bass (Geddy Signature) 2nd hand from Guitar Center and I have no idea what kind of strings are on it or how old they are. They don't seem 'dead' to me but everything I hear is that I should get new strings with the setup. My fingers are pretty much used to the strings now.. I don't get any ripping pain when I play around anymore... so what would youz guys suggest for strings for a beginner?

I can easily order a set of RS66LD but is that the best choice for a beginner who is still building up finger strength?

Your input is mucho appreciated!

Let's start with... how bad is your bass set up now?

Things to check.

1. How high are the strings off the frets at the 17th fret? That is your "action" and can be affected by your truss rod (how straight is the neck) or your bridge height.

2. If you have a digital tuner, tune your strings. Dead on? Now play a harmonic on the 12th fret (or play the 12th fret octave if you can't do harmonics). Still in tune? If not, your intonations need to be set up. That means that the 12th fret is not the exact middle of the string (from nut to bridge) like it should be.

3. Look straight down the length of your neck. Pretty straight? Maybe a very little bow away from the strings? Use the straightness of the strings to guide you. A little bow (very little) is perfect. If it is exaggerated, you need a truss rod adjustment. If it is dead straight or worse, back bow (bows toward the strings) then you need a truss rod adjustment.

If everything is pretty close the $25 guy is probably fine. If it's pretty far off, I'd go with the $65 guy.

I broke a truss rod in my Ric 4003. Not a fun repair (did it myself) and it took quite a while. Be careful.

A good tech will use feeler gauges to measure the string height rather than eye it up. Same thing with bow in the neck. There is no such thing as "set up for you" vs set up properly. The height of the nut should correspond to the bridge height and should share the same radius which cannot be done without the proper tools: feeler gauges, neck radius gauge and a straight edge ruler.

A novice should NEVER make a truss rod adjustment. It takes time to be done right. I would not suggest someone who has never really done a full setup to do one on a Geddy. Intonation is one thing but setting a neck is something different. A novice can damage a neck by overturning or turning the wrong direction. Not to mention getting to the truss rod screw is a pain in the a$$ on a Geddy.

If you haven't tried adjusting a crappy guitars truss rod it is best to have a pro do it. Cutting corners is not good unless you don't mind braking things to learn.

• Like 1

A good tech will use feeler gauges to measure the string height rather than eye it up. Same thing with bow in the neck. There is no such thing as "set up for you" vs set up properly. The height of the nut should correspond to the bridge height and should share the same radius which cannot be done without the proper tools: feeler gauges, neck radius gauge and a straight edge ruler.

A novice should NEVER make a truss rod adjustment. It takes time to be done right. I would not suggest someone who has never really done a full setup to do one on a Geddy. Intonation is one thing but setting a neck is something different. A novice can damage a neck by overturning or turning the wrong direction. Not to mention getting to the truss rod screw is a pain in the a$$ on a Geddy.

If you haven't tried adjusting a crappy guitars truss rod it is best to have a pro do it. Cutting corners is not good unless you don't mind braking things to learn.

Two things. I like my basses with lower action than the standard. That is for me. It is not wrong, just different than the standard. I know another guy who like his action high because he plays punk, uses a pick and doesn't want the strings to rattle on the frets (I love the fret rattle). We're both right and neither is a standard set up.

Oh, and the height of the nut corresponds to the height of the bridge but more so to the first fret. Unless your bridge is super far off you check your nut height by it's relationship to the first fret.

Agreed you can damage a truss rod (I've snapped one and I've been doing it a while) but if your bass is relatively new and close to good I don't think there is any harm in giving it a 1/4 - 1/2 turn to see if you can get it a little better.

Congrats on the proper pick guard Snaked! Does it play a lot better after the set up?

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

Two things. I like my basses with lower action than the standard. That is for me. It is not wrong, just different than the standard. I know another guy who like his action high because he plays punk, uses a pick and doesn't want the strings to rattle on the frets (I love the fret rattle). We're both right and neither is a standard set up.

Oh, and the height of the nut corresponds to the height of the bridge but more so to the first fret. Unless your bridge is super far off you check your nut height by it's relationship to the first fret.

Agreed you can damage a truss rod (I've snapped one and I've been doing it a while) but if your bass is relatively new and close to good I don't think there is any harm in giving it a 1/4 - 1/2 turn to see if you can get it a little better.

Congrats on the proper pick guard Snaked! Does it play a lot better after the set up?

I'll let you know when I get it back.

The guy I took it to said about a week.. he does all his work "First come, first served" and has several customers in front of me.

I'm excited though.. as long as I get it back in the best possible condition it can be I'll be happy.