Bass Players!

CygnusX-1Bk2

22 hours ago, Wandering Hermit said:

Can someone tell me what kind of axe this is? A what is up with the frets?

Looks like a Dingwall, with fanned frets.  From the link below...

The idea of fanned frets is, in essence, to combine the baritone or bass guitar with the regular guitar in one instrument. Fanned frets enable strengthening the tone of the lower strings by giving them a longer speaking string length. They can also enable a high string that can be tuned higher than is possible on a conventional guitar by giving it a shorter vibrating length, enabling a higher-tuned string that won't break under the tension.

The theory here is that the lowest strings and the lowest notes make a stronger, fuller sound by giving them extra vibrating length, and the upper strings get a brighter, clearer sound by giving them a shorter vibrating length.

The best example is Dingwall bass guitars, whose low "B" string has a scale length of 37 inches (940 mm), while a conventional bass guitar with a low "B" string has a scale length of 34 or 35 inches (864 mm or 889 mm)

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/6085/what-are-the-benefits-of-guitars-with-fanned-frets

Dingwall Leland Sklar signature bass guitar

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goose said:

Looks like a Dingwall, with fanned frets.  From the link below...

The idea of fanned frets is, in essence, to combine the baritone or bass guitar with the regular guitar in one instrument. Fanned frets enable strengthening the tone of the lower strings by giving them a longer speaking string length. They can also enable a high string that can be tuned higher than is possible on a conventional guitar by giving it a shorter vibrating length, enabling a higher-tuned string that won't break under the tension.

The theory here is that the lowest strings and the lowest notes make a stronger, fuller sound by giving them extra vibrating length, and the upper strings get a brighter, clearer sound by giving them a shorter vibrating length.

The best example is Dingwall bass guitars, whose low "B" string has a scale length of 37 inches (940 mm), while a conventional bass guitar with a low "B" string has a scale length of 34 or 35 inches (864 mm or 889 mm)

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/6085/what-are-the-benefits-of-guitars-with-fanned-frets

Dingwall Leland Sklar signature bass guitar

Other than the 12 fret mark, that is one gorgeous bass. I can't stop looking at these. The curve on the bridge end in particular and the jack placement. Sick!!!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wandering Hermit said:

^ Thanks goose. I'd never seen that before. Have you played one of these and if so is it hard to get used to fanned frets?

I don't play bass...I'm not even a musician really.  I'm a drummer.  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:16 AM, Wandering Hermit said:

^ Thanks goose. I'd never seen that before. Have you played one of these and if so is it hard to get used to fanned frets?

It would be nice to try a bass with fanned frets for just to hear and feel how it is. It could take a while to get accustomed to those frets, but anything that gives more low end... :wub:

• Like 1