Drummers!

CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (tascam @ May 31 2007, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 30 2007, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (tascam @ May 29 2007, 10:18 PM)
I still can't understand why anyone would spend so much money for such a gorgeous Collector's Edition DW drumset, and then spend $6.49 to put little blue blobs of goo on each drum to alter or shorten the natural and beautiful sound of each DW 'timbre matched' drum!

I say let the drums sing!

P.S.  Don Lombardi and John Good from DW would have a synchronized heart attack if they knew drummers were muting the sound of their prized Collector's Edition DW drums!!!

They aren't taking anything away from the tone of the drum. All they are doing is controlling the overtones, which if you play live a lot and record a lot, they enable you to quickly adjust ringing. Believe me, they save tons of time at sound check and in the studio.

I wouldn't worry about the guys from DW, they understand about controlling drum sounds.

What a surprise, launchpad67a..you disagreeing with me...go figure!

Any device that you add to a very expensive drum (especially when the tom tom probably itself cost well over $1000)...and the device that you are adding to that drum is Less than $10, just seems plain silly to me! Why not try a different head, or learn to tune the drum better etc.

Any time I record, play, or tune drums live or in a studio (or anywhere for that matter), I do everything I can to make the drums ring longer, stronger, and with as much tonality of the drum as I can...including overtones. If you can't make a drum sound good by either tuning it, or replacing the drum head and re-tuning it...then...you should get another drum.

Maybe you should think about putting some Moongels on your posts to help the mildly sarcastic overtones and opposing force to anything that I say or post to. That would be an appropriate use of Moongels...in my opinoin.

No need to be an ass. If you don't like putting stuff on your heads then don't. Picking a fight with someone who does adds nothing to this thread.

I still can't understand why anyone would spend so much money for such a gorgeous Collector's Edition DW drumset, and then spend $6.49 to put little blue blobs of goo on each drum to alter or shorten the natural and beautiful sound of each DW 'timbre matched' drum!

P.S.  Don Lombardi and John Good from DW would have a synchronized heart attack if they knew drummers were muting the sound of their prized Collector's Edition DW drums!!!

They aren't taking anything away from the tone of the drum. All they are doing is controlling the overtones, which if you play live a lot and record a lot, they enable you to quickly adjust ringing. Believe me, they save tons of time at sound check and in the studio.

I wouldn't worry about the guys from DW, they understand about controlling drum sounds.

Any device that you add to a very expensive drum (especially when the tom tom probably itself cost well over $1000)...and the device that you are adding to that drum is Less than $10, just seems plain silly to me! Why not try a different head, or learn to tune the drum better etc.

Any time I record, play, or tune drums live or in a studio (or anywhere for that matter), I do everything I can to make the drums ring longer, stronger, and with as much tonality of the drum as I can...including overtones. If you can't make a drum sound good by either tuning it, or replacing the drum head and re-tuning it...then...you should get another drum.

Maybe you should think about putting some Moongels on your posts to help the mildly sarcastic overtones and opposing force to anything that I say or post to. That would be an appropriate use of Moongels...in my opinoin.

You have some kinda Complex going on. You need to relax man.

Funny how your reply was exactly what I knew it would be...regardless of what I wrote. I just f***ing knew it!

You're all hung up on adding something "cheap" to something "very expensive", but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Re-read what I wrote and show me why I deserve a reply like that!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 31 2007, 03:28 PM)

Funny how your reply was exactly what I knew it would be...regardless of what I wrote. I just f***ing knew it!

You're all hung up on adding something "cheap" to something "very expensive", but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

I can say the same thing about you...lp!

I knew you'd disagree with me...I just knew it!

Re-read what I wrote...that should clear things up!

biggrin.gif

By the way...How unbelievably mature of you to resort to calling me a profane name. My teenage daughter has more respect for people in her smallest finger than you have in your whole body!!!

And you call yourself a Moderator? Geez! Grow up, dude!

Edited by tascam

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 31 2007, 12:32 PM)
Does any drummer on here have any Roto Toms? If so what do you think of them.

Never owned a pair personally, but they're a popular seller at the store I work at. They offer an "affordable" way for somebody to get that high pitched tom sound without having to special order any add-on toms. The biggest "complaint" I've gotten from customers about them, though, is that they keep breaking the heads on them, but that's mostly due to the customer being an idiot and tuning the head to the tightest possible setting.

To me though, they seem to be a little "too" high pitched. Hence the reason why I never owned a set. Right now, I own four of Tama's Octobans, but I'm looking into ordering some DW Rata Toms (their equivalent of the octoban) so I have a matching finish with the rest of my kit.

QUOTE (tascam @ May 31 2007, 11:04 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 31 2007, 03:28 PM)

I can say the same thing about you...lp!

I knew you'd disagree with me...I just knew it!

Re-read what I wrote...that should clear things up!

biggrin.gif

By the way...How unbelievably mature of you to resort to calling me a profane name. My teenage daughter has more respect for people in her smallest finger than you have in your whole body!!!

And you call yourself a Moderator? Geez! Grow up, dude!

Um, where did he call you a profane name? no.gif He is just explaining something to you - you should listen and learn something - LP knows his shit bro.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 31 2007, 01:32 PM)

Last night, at my lesson, I discovered a set of 3 rototoms on sale, used, for $89.00. I really want to pick them up...

I bought my set 15 or so odd years ago. I love them!! The closest I`ll come to Copeland`s Octobons 1022.gif

Unfortunately, with my current setup, I don`t have any room for them sad.gif

I don`t feel like climbing the Empire State Building to start my rolls on the 6' Roto-Tom.

I still set them up, and jam on them like back in high school. (playing those crossovers wink.gif

Ya`ll take care

I like my PDP kit. I have a 7 piece kit Black to Cherry fade. I have the DW Double Kicker 7000 and 900 series hardware. I love the hardware, it is very sturdy. I have Paragon Cymbals too. I really like the sound of those as well. This was purchased without my knowledge. My wife gave me this set as a gift for Christmas 2006. I have had three other sets in my life. The best of those was a low end Pearl Export Series. Those were destroyed by the Plaintiff in a divorce case. This set was about $3,000.00 counting the extras and cymbals. Paragons - I have the Splash-n-Stack 10" splash , 14" hats, 16" crash, 22" ride, 18" crash.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb248/robertkincaid96/Drums001.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb248/robertkincaid96/Drums002.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb248/robertkincaid96/Drums003.jpg

Very nice drumset robertkincaid96. The story behind it is even nicer! You must know that even though you have a Pacific drumset (owned by the DW factory)...your Pacific drumset is much closer to a Collectors Series DW drumset that you might realize!

The PRECISE same "American Rock Maple logs grown in the forests of the Northeastern United States" are used in both DW Collectors series drums as well as the Pacific Drums (or PDP). In fact, I was told by a customer service rep from DW that the trucks stop in Oxnard, CA and drop off half of the "American Rock Maple logs" to the DW factory in Oxnard, and then continue on down to Baja, CA and drop off the remaining "American Rock Maple logs" to the Pacific factory. Basically, IT'S THE SAME WOOD IN THE DW DRUMS AND THE PDP DRUMS!!!

I've been following this thread for awhile...I love looking at drums and I learned a lot about them when I used to date a drummer years ago.

Launchpad67a: Love your Black and gold drums--very sharp looking

and I love your comments here--very spot on! yes.gif

Robertkincaid96: Love your black to cherry fade drums! So sweet

looking! I'd love to see them in person! smile.gif

I wonder why all the drummers who post in this thread don't show pictures of their drum setups? confused13.gif I see them making remarks on others peoples drums, but they haven't posted pictures of their drums! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif dazed025.gif

QUOTE (robertkincaid96 @ Jun 24 2007, 08:58 AM)
I like my PDP kit. I have a 7 piece kit Black to Cherry fade. I have the DW Double Kicker 7000 and 900 series hardware. I love the hardware, it is very sturdy. I have Paragon Cymbals too. I really like the sound of those as well. This was purchased without my knowledge. My wife gave me this set as a gift for Christmas 2006. I have had three other sets in my life. The best of those was a low end Pearl Export Series. Those were destroyed by the Plaintiff in a divorce case. This set was about $3,000.00 counting the extras and cymbals. Paragons - I have the Splash-n-Stack 10" splash , 14" hats, 16" crash, 22" ride, 18" crash.

Very nice. You tilt your crash a lot. That would drive me absolutely nuts.

I guess the crash is tilted a lot. I changed the set up a little since that photo. I moved the crash to the far right and moved the ride over to the left. I guess it is a little behind where Neil plays his. I could not put it where Neil does because I like my tom there. My wife bought me more cymbals than I have ever had.

OK, I'll bite...

First off, I'm not a drummer, but I always like to dabble in drums and have a set kicking around for recording and tension release. This is my old 1984 Tama Royalstar in wine red satin finish. The snare and 6" tom are actually Superstar. I got it used in 1989 and always kept it for sentimental reasons. Not the greatest sounding kit for recording - the deep mahogany shells are very boomy, but I am partial to mid-80's Tamas. They remind me of my youth smile.gif.

http://www.comnet.ca/~permanentwaves/royalstar.jpg

QUOTE (robertkincaid96 @ Jun 24 2007, 08:58 AM)
I like my PDP kit. I have a 7 piece kit Black to Cherry fade. I have the DW Double Kicker 7000 and 900 series hardware. I love the hardware, it is very sturdy. I have Paragon Cymbals too. I really like the sound of those as well. This was purchased without my knowledge. My wife gave me this set as a gift for Christmas 2006. I have had three other sets in my life. The best of those was a low end Pearl Export Series. Those were destroyed by the Plaintiff in a divorce case.  This set  was about $3,000.00 counting the extras and cymbals. Paragons - I have the Splash-n-Stack 10" splash , 14" hats, 16" crash, 22" ride, 18" crash.

Wow, those are beautiful! Thanks for the pictures. My wife is outstanding in the gift-giving department as well. I got a beautiful red brass free-floating piccolo (Pearl) snare for my birthday a couple of years ago.

I'm in the market for some drums now, so this discussion is finally relevant to me! smile.gif I figured that since I was basically in retirement from the music biz, I'd never be able to justify new drums to just bang around on at home, but now that I'm gigging again, I guess it's another story.

I keep seeing these Pacific kits and they're beautiful and I haven't learned enough about them to know where the differences are between them and the Collectors Series.

Tascam - Hey buddy! Good to see you around. I keep meaning to catch up with you. Thanks for the info on these drums. What else can you tell us? It's been a while since I shopped for drums. I want some pro-level stuff, but if I can get the same quality by purchasing some Pacific drums, I will. How would you say the Collectors compare to Yamaha's best, Pearl's Masterworks, etc. ? I've played Pearl forever and feel comfortable buying another Pearl kit, but I also love the thought of something totally new. I really like the Yamaha stuff, but I don't know if the other companies have passed them by. Like I said, it's been a while.

Ok, here are some pics of my drums. Sorry for all the pics. I went a little nuts with them. By the way, my drums are late 80's Pearl MLX (current Masters equivalent) ala my other hero, Jeff Porcarro. Everything except the shells (mounts, rack, hardware, etc.) are pretty new....except for my Zildjian '21 Rock Ride that I got in 7th grade and have used it ever since.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/DSC01648.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/drum_room.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/DSC01642.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/DSC01645.jpg

Cleaning time!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/DSC01614.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/Drums_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/Drums_2.jpg

A view of the recording setup...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/KirkDS/DrumRoom/DSC02439.jpg

Edited by KirkDS

Hey Kirk! Glad to see you and your BEAUTIFUL drums here in this topic! They are just gorgeous drums!!! I think the finish on your Pearl MLX is just jaw-dropping! Love them!

Here is a link to the Exotic Series of Pacific's line of drums that will also make your jaw drop.

http://www.pacificdrums.com/lxe/lxe.htm

Some of these exotic finishes are PRECISELY the same as the big brother DW Collector series finishes and are priced at about 1/4 the cost. You find the same maple wood shells, the True-Pitch tuning rods, the STM Pro tom mounts, DW Clear coated heads, and really, really sturdy 900 series hardware on both Pacific LXE series and on the DW Collector Series drums.

In fact, I was also told by a customer service manager at DW that an 18 wheel semi pulls into the Oxnard, CA plant with a shipment of North American Maple Logs (to be used for the shells), drops off half of the truck at the DW plant...and continues down to Baja, CA and drops off the remaining half of the NA Maple logs at the Pacific plant. It's the EXACT same North American Maple wood in both DW Collector's Series Drums, as well as Pacific Drums.

I own a few PDP sets, as well as DW Collector Series sets. I am so pleased and would urge you to check out the PDP kits at a local drum shop or GC. (Although, the high end PDP LXE kits aren't usually on display at GC...they have to special order them...a good drum shop usually has a few for you to try out!)

Hope this helps.

Edited by tascam

QUOTE (tascam @ Jun 27 2007, 12:40 PM)
Hey Kirk! Glad to see you and your BEAUTIFUL drums here in this topic! They are just gorgeous drums!!! I think the finish on your Pearl MLX is just jaw-dropping! Love them!

Here is a link to the Exotic Series of Pacific's line of drums that will also make your jaw drop.

http://www.pacificdrums.com/lxe/lxe.htm

Some of these exotic finishes are PRECISELY the same as the big brother DW Collector series finishes and are priced at about 1/4 the cost. You find the same maple wood shells, the True-Pitch tuning rods, the STM Pro tom mounts, DW Clear coated heads, and really, really sturdy 900 series hardware on both Pacific LXE series and on the DW Collector Series drums.

In fact, I was also told by a customer service manager at DW that an 18 wheel semi pulls into the Oxnard, CA plant with a shipment of North American Maple Logs (to be used for the shells), drops off half of the truck at the DW plant...and continues down to Baja, CA and drops off the remaining half of the NA Maple logs at the Pacific plant. It's the EXACT same North American Maple wood in both DW Collector's Series Drums, as well as Pacific Drums.

I own a few PDP sets, as well as DW Collector Series sets. I am so pleased and would urge you to check out the PDP kits at a local drum shop or GC. (Although, the high end PDP LXE kits aren't usually on display at GC...they have to special order them...a good drum shop usually has a few for you to try out!)

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tas!

So, would you say the sound quality of the Pacific matches the Collectors? Seems like it would if the shells are identical. If all the other stuff is identical, then what's the point of buying the Collectors? Are there subtle differences? Maybe you can't get gold/brass coated hardware with the Pacific?

Wow Kirk, those are some pretty shells!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 20 2007, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ May 5 2007, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ May 5 2007, 08:16 PM)
Decided to setup and practice in the small room the other day and thought I'd take a few new pics.

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/images/st_drums3_web.jpg

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/images/st_drums_web.jpg

woah! drool1.gif

edit: i see u have moon gels too! 1022.gif

Yeah, the MoonGels really work well. I had never used them until recently. I was sent a pack to try out and I like them!

I have never used them....found that I've been liking the more resonation & purity of drums. Moon Gels are the best in the business due to the ability to be reusable. Such a great invention. I still think that the inventor was eating cereal & had just gotten the "octopus' toy inside, he threw it up on the ceiling, it hit one of his drums & he heard the control of resonation.....Beats the old trick of taping a 1" square piece of paper towel to the rim....

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jun 13 2007, 09:13 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ May 31 2007, 01:32 PM)

Last night, at my lesson, I discovered a set of 3 rototoms on sale, used, for $89.00. I really want to pick them up...

Pick them up....Brand new Remo's run around $225 or so (haven't checked the $$$ in a while)....They are a great item to have to add to a drumset. You can easily adust the pitches with a quick tune plus if you ever want to do some stuff like Terry Bozio (Spox)....you can have fun with that too!

I used to own them but my setup was too busy to add any more so I sold them (I had several-(2) 6", (2) 8", 10", 12", 14")...man, that brings up some memories......

QUOTE (robertkincaid96 @ Jun 24 2007, 09:58 AM)

PDP drums are awesome for the $$$...When I was working at GC, we decided to match them up to an older DW & they were exceptionally close in sound. Word that I got was that when DW took what they need for stock, they'd shipped the rest to PDP. PDP had the pick of the litter (so to speak) & would choose nothing less than 95% perfect wood. From what I've heard & seen, I'd be inclined to agree.....

I was watching the Live Earth concert and noticed a bunch of "expensive" drum sets that had Moongels on them (wonder why this is that professional drummers are using them?).

Took some screen shots.

Drummer from Snow Patrol at Live Earth

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/images/LE_moongels1.jpg

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/images/LE_moongels2.jpg

Drmmer from Duran Duran at Live Earth

http://www.mikekreidel.com/temp/images/LE_moongels3.jpg

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jul 9 2007, 02:10 PM)
(wonder why this is that professional drummers are using them?).

Since this is a Rush fan site...and since Neil doesn't use moongels on his toms, does it really matter if other drummers use moongels on their drums?