Roger Taylor

Earthshine

I have to admit to not owning one Queen album. But I love the band and have been getting into them more and more.

Roger Taylor used the fabulous combination of Ludwig Drums and Paiste Cymbals ( later switched to Zildjian; still great) and had that distinguishable sound that other greats such as John Bonham, Cozy Powell and Ian Paice had.

Anyway, Roger is one of Britain's best drummers. Love his sound and approach!

Roger's a solid drummer, just as John Deacon is a solid bass player. I like them both.

But Britain's best??? I'm not entirely familiar with the British music scene, but surely there must be better. Bonham and Moon were two, back in the day, and I hope for the country's sake that better drummers than Roger have come along since.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Dec 10 2010, 09:30 AM)
Ringo is clearly Britain's best drummer... ph34r.gif unsure.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Dec 10 2010, 09:30 AM)
Ringo is clearly Britain's best drummer... ph34r.gif unsure.gif

eyesre4.gif

Let's not start with Ringo bashing. It's so tired. Oh yeah, Ringo is a very good drummer. I bet Roger Taylor would agree!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 10 2010, 02:41 PM)
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/51aDgwrORiL_SS400_.jpg

I love Fun In Space!!!! The album's ok too......BOOM BOOM!

Strange Frontier is quite good, let down by a wank-by-numbers version of Masters Of War.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 10 2010, 09:33 AM)
But Britain's best???  I'm not entirely familiar with the British music scene, but surely there must be better.  Bonham and Moon were two, back in the day, and I hope for the country's sake that better drummers than Roger have come along since.

Not the best. One of the best. I agree.

I realized his drumming prowess when they did that tribute to Freddy Mercury a few years back on usa television. Roger is a total pro. Amazingly versatile, dynamic, flawless live from what I've seen of his recorded performances. goodpost.gif

I like his style. Of course, he can sing his ass off while playing too, which is always impressive.

His trademark seems to be opening the hi-hat on every snare hit. Always thought that was an interesting quirk.

I'll never understand why they started using the Linn drum on Hot Space and later albums.... was totally shattered when I bought that record and heard the machines.

I'm sure he's a fine drummer but I've never really heard anything playing-wise that impressed so much as to say "wow listen to that!" The important thing is he's the right drummer for Queen. I've got to say I'm not a big fan of the drum sound on a lot of Queen's recordings. One of the best? Depends on how many that would include. I don't think I'd rank him in a top 10 of British drummers.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 11 2010, 07:33 AM)
Roger can play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhr5EpTpNgQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KqVt3MuOyc&feature=related

When I was 13 or 14, that tympani solo was the coolest thing ever. But the earlier part of the solo on the kit and the first clip show what a great drummer he was/is. Short, interesting drum solos always win the day for me.

Archived