Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

QUOTE (TwentyOneTwelve @ Feb 27 2011, 12:22 PM)
Very much hoping to get tickets for one of his UK tour dates in October which go on sale tomorrow.

Oh and that's a great shot WP! Still have yet to see BCC, hope to rectify this soon!

Cheers .... Here's a shot I got of Joe in Manchester last year at one of his own gigs....We got tickets for Cardiff later this year smile.gif

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Joe%20Bonamassa%20Manchester%2010/DSC_1300.jpg

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Mar 10 2011, 12:32 PM)
Very much hoping to get tickets for one of his UK tour dates in October which go on sale tomorrow.

Oh and that's a great shot WP! Still have yet to see BCC, hope to rectify this soon!

Cheers .... Here's a shot I got of Joe in Manchester last year at one of his own gigs....We got tickets for Cardiff later this year smile.gif

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Joe%20Bonamassa%20Manchester%2010/DSC_1300.jpg

Great picture, and that is a beautiful Les Paul!

trink39.gif

Edited by -Ender-

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 11 2011, 08:15 AM)

trink39.gif

Yeah, he looks good. But, poor Joe's gonna be a baldy by the time he's 40. sad.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 11 2011, 12:19 PM)

trink39.gif

Yeah, he looks good. But, poor Joe's gonna be a baldy by the time he's 40. sad.gif

You won't care as long as he keeps wearing his white jeans.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 12 2011, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 11 2011, 12:19 PM)

trink39.gif

You won't care as long as he keeps wearing his white jeans.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif Damn straight. He could be headless, for all I care.

QUOTE (Shifty @ May 6 2011, 08:29 AM)
Seeing JB next sat in a great little venue in Brisbane. Anyone seen this tour? What can I expect?
trink39.gif

Yeah I saw it make sure youre familiar with "Dust Bowl" he does like 4 or 5 tunes from as well as a few covers but i dont wanna give them away theyre pretty recognizable except for the one by Rory Gallagher I knew it but the people i was sitting next to didnt

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2011, 07:18 PM)
Sloe Gin is probably his best album but Dust Bowl is a fine return to form.

It actually took a little while for Dust Bowl to grow on me, but it really has in the last two weeks or so. There is a lot of astounding guitar playing, and the songs, a mixture of original and covers, are really strong.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing BCC in three weeks, and then seeing Joe again, solo, in November.

And lets not forget that BCC 2 comes out next month.

Its going to be a heavy blues/heavy metal kinda summer!

1022.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2011, 11:18 PM)

Only just got a copy of Dust Bowl, it's certainly the best since Sloe Gin.

Old JB Good, New JB Not as Good.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ May 30 2011, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ May 6 2011, 11:18 PM)

Only just got a copy of Dust Bowl, it's certainly the best since Sloe Gin.

Old JB Good, New JB Not as Good.

Where do you draw the line between old JB and new JB? If I had to do it, I'd say old JB stopped when he got rid of Eric Czar and Kenny Kramme. That was in 2005. For his next album, You and Me, he began working with Kevin Shirley.

His cd/dvd A New Day Yesterday Live and and Rockpalast dvd both feature him playing with Czar and Kramme, and they are exceptional. They are great players in their own right, and it seemed to me that Joe really fed off of that, and they all pushed each other hard.

When he started touring with Bogie Bowles on drums and Mark Epstien, and finally Carmine Rojas on bass, along with Rick Mellick on keyboards, the shows changed. The band really is there just to back up Joe. Rojas is an excellent bass player, but he's a pocket player. Bowles left and has been replaced by a heavier rock drummer, Tal Bergman.

Honestly, I think Joe's gotten better with each album. I've only been a fan for a little over a year, so that's been a lot to digest and such. It seems his song writing has gotten more polished and sophisticated. His playing and technique are amazing, and his voice is stronger than ever.

Glenn Hughes is so awesome. I love Joe B but it's great to hear Glenn Hughes again.

Here's one for you, sullysue. This is from BCC's show last night in San Diego. Note the white jeans...

That double necked Music Man is so f***ing bad-ass!! The 12 string headstock looks absolutely wicked with the 8 tuning pegs on top, and 4 on the bottom.

• Like 1

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 6 2011, 07:17 PM)
I listened to The Ballad of John Henry yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it. The only other album I've heard him play on is the BCC debut. From what I've heard so far, he seems like an excellent guitarist.

Definitely check out the albums Tony R mentioned above - Sloe Gin and Dust Bowl. I would also highly recommend Live From Nowhere In Particular, and Live From The Royal Albert Hall. Like so many other great musicians, Joe is at his best in front of an audience.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 03:00 PM)
Listening to Dust Bowl right now. I'm only on track 4, but I think it will be my favorite album of the year.

goodpost.gif

Wait until you hear The Last Matador of Bayonne.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 11 2011, 03:12 PM)
Listening to Dust Bowl right now. I'm only on track 4, but I think it will be my favorite album of the year.

goodpost.gif

Love it. The whole album is excellent.

I'm thinking about getting Blues Deluxe and Sloe Gin next. I've liked the samples I've heard.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 11 2011, 03:12 PM)

goodpost.gif

Love it. The whole album is excellent.

I'm thinking about getting Blues Deluxe and Sloe Gin next. I've liked the samples I've heard.

Blues Deluxe was the first Bnamassa CD I bought, and I loved it. The title track has some f the best guitar playing I've ever heard, and it was done "live" in the studio - no editing or overdubs, except they added the keyboard after the fact. I think it was either the first or second take.

Sloe Gin is great as well. Its a very strong mix of acoustic and electric. The title track is stunning, and the song Dirt in My Pocket is amazing, too. But the first two songs, Ball Peen Hammer, and One of These Days are probably my favorites.

You can't go wrong with the albums You and Me and The Ballad of John Henry, either.