Official Joe Bonamassa Thread

Maverick

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 12 2011, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 11 2011, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 03:00 PM)
Listening to Dust Bowl right now. I'm only on track 4, but I think it will be my favorite album of the year.

goodpost.gif

Wait until you hear The Last Matador of Bayonne.

Love it. The whole album is excellent.

I'm thinking about getting Blues Deluxe and Sloe Gin next. I've liked the samples I've heard.

Blues Deluxe was the first Bnamassa CD I bought, and I loved it. The title track has some f the best guitar playing I've ever heard, and it was done "live" in the studio - no editing or overdubs, except they added the keyboard after the fact. I think it was either the first or second take.

Sloe Gin is great as well. Its a very strong mix of acoustic and electric. The title track is stunning, and the song Dirt in My Pocket is amazing, too. But the first two songs, Ball Peen Hammer, and One of These Days are probably my favorites.

You can't go wrong with the albums You and Me and The Ballad of John Henry, either.

I already have The Ballad of John Henry and I love it! Can't wait to get some more of his albums. Anyone who thinks that all "new music" is bad needs to listen to him. One of the best modern guitarists, right up there with Page and Hendrix imo.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 13 2011, 12:11 AM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 12 2011, 08:42 AM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (-Ender- @ Jun 11 2011, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 11 2011, 03:00 PM)
Listening to Dust Bowl right now. I'm only on track 4, but I think it will be my favorite album of the year.

goodpost.gif

Wait until you hear The Last Matador of Bayonne.

Love it. The whole album is excellent.

I'm thinking about getting Blues Deluxe and Sloe Gin next. I've liked the samples I've heard.

Blues Deluxe was the first Bnamassa CD I bought, and I loved it. The title track has some f the best guitar playing I've ever heard, and it was done "live" in the studio - no editing or overdubs, except they added the keyboard after the fact. I think it was either the first or second take.

Sloe Gin is great as well. Its a very strong mix of acoustic and electric. The title track is stunning, and the song Dirt in My Pocket is amazing, too. But the first two songs, Ball Peen Hammer, and One of These Days are probably my favorites.

You can't go wrong with the albums You and Me and The Ballad of John Henry, either.

I already have The Ballad of John Henry and I love it! Can't wait to get some more of his albums. Anyone who thinks that all "new music" is bad needs to listen to him. One of the best modern guitarists, right up there with Page and Hendrix imo.

People who say there is no good new music are sadly mistaken. Whether its new music from new bands, or new music from old bands, there is plenty of good music out there from the 90's and 2000's.

I'm not sure where Bonamassa fits in the gallery of greats, except to say he definitely deserves to be mentioned among the greatest of all time.

I need to listen to The Ballad of John Henry more. There is so much of it I can get from the Royal Albert Hall cd, but then there is great stuff on the album that he did not play live, including Jockey Full of Bourbon.

And don't forget about his Black Rock album, which came out in 2010. There is some great stuff on there, including Blue and Evil, When the Fire Hits the Sea, Athens to Athens, and a killer cover of Jeff Beck's Spanish Boots.

Can't wait for the new album Driving Towards The Sunlight. Here's a live version of the title track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rugv5A4-TMg

His voice on this song is perfect and its fits the music very well.

Its kind of weird that there's no solo in this song and he was talking about not having any hits. I really don't think he's selling out but I'd hate to see him move in that direction. Still, I love this song and if its a sign of what's to come then I won't be disappointed with the album.

Joe Bonamassa will put out his 13th studio album Driving Towards The Daylight on May 21.

Produced by Kevin Shirley, the album includes contributions from Aerosmith guitarist Brad Whitford (guitar), Blondie Chaplin (guitar), Anton Fig (drums and percussion), Arlan Schierbaum (keyboard), Michael Rhodes (bass), Carmine Rojas (bass), Jeff Bova and The Bovaland Brass, Pat Thrall (guitar) and Whitford's son Harrison Whitford (guitar).

Driving Towards The Daylight includes five Bonamassa-penned originals, including Dislocated Boy, the title track, I Got All You Need, Heavenly Soul and Somewhere Trouble Don't Go.

Other tracks include Joe's versions of Tom Waits' New Coat Of Paint, Bill Withers' Lonely Town Lonely Street and Bernie Marsden's A Place In My Heart. On the album closer, Jimmy Barnes sings lead vocals on his 1987 hit Too Much Ain't Enough Love.

Read more: http://thefreewheeler.proboards.com/index....1#ixzz1rAXowqJ0

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Apr 7 2012, 02:33 AM)
Got to photograph Joe in Birmingham the other night and have to say he was jolly good ...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Joe%20Bonamassa%20Brum%2031-3-12/DSC_1800.jpg

Love that guitar. I guess they call it the Bonaburst. I love the Firebird headstock on a Les Paul.

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Apr 7 2012, 03:33 AM)
Got to photograph Joe in Birmingham the other night and have to say he was jolly good ...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/Joe%20Bonamassa%20Brum%2031-3-12/DSC_1800.jpg

Was he playing Slow Train there?

Here's a little something interesting:

Since Rush released Snakes and Arrows in May of 2007, Joe will have released 5 solo albums, 2 BCC albums, and one album with Beth Hart, all before Rush releases Clockwork Angels.

What's that you say? Rush released two live DVD's and CD's in that time as well? Ok. Joe has released 2 live CD's, to live DVD's, and a live DVD and CD with BCC as well.

I'm not dumping on Rush. They were cranking out an album a year for a lot of years. But we all know they've really slowed down. It's great to have artists like Joe who have the energy and the talent to crank them out in rapid succession, and keep us all well entertained while we wait the several years for new Rush material.

QUOTE (Django @ Apr 7 2012, 12:03 PM)

He was indeed new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Wartypig @ Apr 7 2012, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Django @ Apr 7 2012, 12:03 PM)

He was indeed new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I recognized the position of the capo, and the chord he was fretting. That is a sweet guitar.

The picture is also excellent! You should consider putting it on his Facebook fan page, if you are on Facebook. He might make it his profile picture.

trink39.gif

Edited by Django

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2012, 07:30 AM)
Anyone pick up the new DVD/Blu-Ray?

Palladia has been running this show, and it is now on my DVR, minus the opener. I'll watch it tonight and report back!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 7 2012, 01:49 PM)
The first 2 parts of the studio documentary are on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qm-p862KZQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3IBUCsdmY&feature=channel

So far the short samples sound great! I wouldn't be surprised if its even better than Dust Bowl.

The title track sounds excellent, as well as the blues number they were playing. Sounds Zeppelinesque to me, and since Zeppelin stole directly from the greats, it means it's authentic.

laugh.gif

I'm surprised to see Brad Whitford there. I don't recall ever hearing Joe mention him. But he's certainly a great player.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Apr 7 2012, 01:49 PM)
The first 2 parts of the studio documentary are on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qm-p862KZQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3IBUCsdmY&feature=channel

So far the short samples sound great! I wouldn't be surprised if its even better than Dust Bowl.

The playing he was doing at 3:13 in the second video was filled with bad intentions.

ohmy.gif

Just found this thread, I haven't strayed far from the Rush end of things since I registered!

Joe is one of my favourite artists, the man is a modern day guitar god. I went to see him last year, and I was just completely blown away.

So excited for the new album, it sounds brilliant, as is Joe's way of course! cool.gif

Looks like Joe is doing an acoustic (and I'm guessing solo) tour for a few dates this summer. One of the shows will be recorded and released as a DVD. Edited by Django
  • Like 1