WHEN WILL VAPOR TRAILS BE REMASTERED

thebigguyconnor

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 5 2010, 11:50 PM)
yeah the two "remixes" cleaned them up, but also took out all the bottom end and IMO took all the life out of the songs. It was like they said "let's take these VT songs, and make them sound like Presto"

I LOVE the remixes versions of both songs, and I cannot listen to VT. I think the remixes aren't perfect, but they are probably about as good as you can do, as I believe some of the issue is with the source signals.

I'd pay $50 for a remixes VT just to avoid having a Rush album I'm force to skip.

I'd pay more for a total re-record.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 6 2010, 08:14 AM)
Who's responsible for the album's poor quality? How could this possibly happen with a group like Rush? Btw, I only listened twice before jettisoning it out of my music collection.

From what I've read, the band was more focused on actually becoming a band again than the quality of the recording. Which is not to say they weren't interested in making a quality recording- but they booked the studio for months and months in hopes they could finally gel and get something good out of it. In fact they did, as the songs seem very solid, imo. As has been noted, the sonic quality is the problem.

I think when you've spent months after months living with some songs and recorded tracks, you being to grow accustom to them and not really be able to view the product objectively. Unless you step away for a bit, you just hear what you're used to, which is what your ear expects, which then sounds pleasant.

This is the peril for every album*, but it was likely exacerbated by the sheer amount of time the band lived in the studio working on this project and growing accustom to the way it sounded.

*I've experienced this to a far lesser degree- one of my favorite song that I've ever recorded just falls flat when I listen to it now, and it's all because of the way it was mixed- I thought it was awesome at the time, and now I just wish it hadn't been put on the CD at all.

From an article in Classic Rock Presents Prog a few months ago stated that the Rush Catalog is going to be reissued in 2011...... hopefully in 5.1, I would imagine VT will be included in that.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 6 2010, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 6 2010, 08:14 AM)
Who's responsible for the album's poor quality?  How could this possibly happen with a group like Rush?  Btw, I only listened twice before jettisoning it out of my music collection.

From what I've read, the band was more focused on actually becoming a band again than the quality of the recording. Which is not to say they weren't interested in making a quality recording- but they booked the studio for months and months in hopes they could finally gel and get something good out of it. In fact they did, as the songs seem very solid, imo. As has been noted, the sonic quality is the problem.

I think when you've spent months after months living with some songs and recorded tracks, you being to grow accustom to them and not really be able to view the product objectively. Unless you step away for a bit, you just hear what you're used to, which is what your ear expects, which then sounds pleasant.

This is the peril for every album*, but it was likely exacerbated by the sheer amount of time the band lived in the studio working on this project and growing accustom to the way it sounded.

*I've experienced this to a far lesser degree- one of my favorite song that I've ever recorded just falls flat when I listen to it now, and it's all because of the way it was mixed- I thought it was awesome at the time, and now I just wish it hadn't been put on the CD at all.

Thanks, Jeff. It's hard to fathom professionals like themselves let this happen. It's mind-boggling.

I think the band themselves should foot the bill for the remaster. They have admitted in interviews that it was their fault that a clipped recording got released.(it's not like they wouldn't get their money back when everyone buys it). With all the millions of dollars they have been making on tour the last few years the least they can do is give us fans of VT a decent sounding CD. Rush are usually picky about anything sub-standard so it is beyond me why this hasn't been done yet. I don't think it would even take that long with the master tapes so that isn't an excuse. I love this band as much as anybody(been a huge fan since 83) but even I have to question some of the decisions they make?

QUOTE (presto123 @ Nov 6 2010, 01:03 PM)
I think the band themselves should foot the bill for the remaster. They have admitted in interviews that it was their fault that a clipped recording got released.(it's not like they wouldn't get their money back when everyone buys it). With all the millions of dollars they have been making on tour the last few years the least they can do is give us fans of VT a decent sounding CD. Rush are usually picky about anything sub-standard so it is beyond me why this hasn't been done yet. I don't think it would even take that long with the master tapes so that isn't an excuse. I love this band as much as anybody(been a huge fan since 83) but even I have to question some of the decisions they make?

I don't think they'll ever officially/publicly re-release this album. In doing so, it would stand out as an obvious/significant aberration which would often be viewed by many as a big steaming pile of sh!t in an otherwise impressive, historical track record.

WHEN WILL VAPOR TRAILS BE REMASTERED?

When all Rush fans can go a year without asking. wink.gif

Because they are probably more focused on creating new stuff and forging ahead in their current direction than fixing the mistakes of the past. And remember, there are plenty of fans out there who think VT is great the way it is, and if it did/does get remixed then there will be plenty of fans who still don't like it.

I really, really want to see this album remixed- but if given a choice between that or them pouring the necessary energy into CA to make it great- I pick CA, and so will the band.

And before someone says it- a remix isn't just writing a check. They wouldn't let a remix out the door without being heavily involved in the process.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Nov 6 2010, 02:47 PM)
And remember, there are plenty of fans out there who think VT is great the way it is,

Like me. I listen to VT on a number of systems - iPhone, iPad, and a MacBook Pro (built-in speakers). None of these produce the hissing, popping or clipping enough that I can hear it.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 6 2010, 05:38 PM)
And remember, there are plenty of fans out there who think VT is great the way it is,

Like me. I listen to VT on a number of systems - iPhone, iPad, and a MacBook Pro (built-in speakers). None of these produce the hissing, popping or clipping enough that I can hear it.

Yeah but play it through a really good car stereo system and it sounds like a radio dial turned slightly off its frequency.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Nov 6 2010, 01:23 PM)

I don't think they'll ever officially/publicly re-release this album. In doing so, it would stand out as an obvious/significant aberration which would often be viewed by many as a big steaming pile of sh!t in an otherwise impressive, historical track record.

If that is the case then they wouldn't have advertised the OLV and Earthshine remixes as "remixes" on Retrospective 3. Plus they've already publicly admitted that they're not happy with the production of VT.

You're wrong on all counts.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Nov 5 2010, 09:57 PM)
EASILY their worst album. I wish they'd lose the master tapes so that disaster could be lost to history.

bd.gif While I also put VT at the bottom 5, it could EASILY rise to the middle if there were quality remixes/remasters of these songs. Perhaps even re-takes on Geddy's vocals...

But I'd never go so far as to suggest DELETING an entire album. Not even FBN nor COS nor T4E nor VT.

What dost thou thinketh, man? bd.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 6 2010, 04:38 PM)

I don't hear it either. I say leave it alone. Great album.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Nov 7 2010, 01:05 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Nov 6 2010, 04:38 PM)

I don't hear it either. I say leave it alone. Great album.

Add another to the ranks of those who love VT as is.

And it has been over 8 years... if Rush had remastering VT as a priority, they would have done it by now.

yeah the two "remixes" cleaned them up, but also took out all the bottom end and IMO took all the life out of the songs. It was like they said "let's take these VT songs, and make them sound like Presto"

I disagree. I think the remixes sound terrific, particularly the opening of "One Little Victory," where I can now hear bass parts I didn't even know existed in the original!

And it doesn't sound as lacking-in-balls as Presto. Nothing I know does.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 7 2010, 05:09 PM)

I disagree. I think the remixes sound terrific, particularly the opening of "One Little Victory," where I can now hear bass parts I didn't even know existed in the original!

And it doesn't sound as lacking-in-balls as Presto. Nothing I know does.

Whereas Presto still sounds nice without balls, Vapor Trails sounds shite with too many balls. I think VT should donate some of its balls to Presto confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mikal2112 @ Nov 6 2010, 06:15 PM)
I have Vapor Trails on vinyl and it sounds much better than the cd version.

Hmm... will have to look into that. Perhaps the clipping sounds blend in with the dust noise tongue.gif

Just kidding, I love vinyl, but I wish they'd just master it properly. Test for Echo has a great mix, if VT sounded like Test for Echo it would rock!

QUOTE (thebigguyconnor @ Nov 7 2010, 06:47 PM)
QUOTE (Mikal2112 @ Nov 6 2010, 06:15 PM)
I have Vapor Trails on vinyl and it sounds much better than the cd version.

Hmm... will have to look into that. Perhaps the clipping sounds blend in with the dust noise tongue.gif

Just kidding, I love vinyl, but I wish they'd just master it properly. Test for Echo has a great mix, if VT sounded like Test for Echo it would rock!

Old vinyl sounds great mainly because the audio was RECORDED on analog tapes. Take an album from 2002 recorded digitally and put it on vinyl...that doesn't really make it sound better no.gif It's still a digital recording played in an analog format.

Archived