The Android thread

barney_rebel

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 13 2011, 07:46 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 11 2011, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Feb 11 2011, 12:38 PM)
I thought this thread was titled "The Android Threat"!

Welcome to 2029

It is called that if you work for the people that make the Blackberry.

You mean people still buy those things with they keyboard buttons that make it impossible to press a single button at a time?

My Android phone has a slide-out keyboard. I love it.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 13 2011, 06:16 PM)

Welcome to 2029

You mean people still buy those things with they keyboard buttons that make it impossible to press a single button at a time?

me too, but my hands are kinda smallish.

QUOTE (The Maples @ Feb 15 2011, 01:25 PM)

Welcome to 2029

If there is one thing I wished the EVO had, it would be a slide-out keyboard. I think the new one does, but it has a smaller screen, and I would not want to lose out on screen size.

QUOTE (the oaks @ Feb 16 2011, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (The Maples @ Feb 15 2011, 01:25 PM)

Welcome to 2029

If there is one thing I wished the EVO had, it would be a slide-out keyboard. I think the new one does, but it has a smaller screen, and I would not want to lose out on screen size.

Here's mine...bulky, not a huge screen, but great price

http://www.lgshineplus.com/

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 20 2011, 09:33 PM)
Have an android os phone?
Download the phandroid app for all of the latest info for all things droid.

Problem i have with these news apps is that a) they take up a hell of a lot of room cool.gif they're nothing short of being able to catch all your news feeds via RSS. I uninstalled all my news apps and just installed BuzzBox with my RSS sources.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 20 2011, 09:41 PM)

Problem i have with these news apps is that a) they take up a hell of a lot of room cool.gif they're nothing short of being able to catch all your news feeds via RSS. I uninstalled all my news apps and just installed BuzzBox with my RSS sources.

not familiar with rss

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 20 2011, 09:10 PM)

not familiar with rss

Im not sure how they work, but its like a news feed to news pages directly, without all the OTHER stuff a particular news service or paper has.....

Here some info...

What is RSS?

RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.

Why RSS? Benefits and Reasons for using RSS

RSS solves a problem for people who regularly use the web. It allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the sites you are interested in. You save time by not needing to visit each site individually. You ensure your privacy, by not needing to join each site's email newsletter. The number of sites offering RSS feeds is growing rapidly and includes big names like Yahoo News.

What do I need to do to read an RSS Feed? RSS Feed Readers and News Aggregators

Feed Reader or News Aggregator software allow you to grab the RSS feeds from various sites and display them for you to read and use.

A variety of RSS Readers are available for different platforms. Some popular feed readers include Amphetadesk (Windows, Linux, Mac), FeedReader (Windows), and NewsGator (Windows - integrates with Outlook). There are also a number of web-based feed readers available. My Yahoo, Bloglines, and Google Reader are popular web-based feed readers.

Once you have your Feed Reader, it is a matter of finding sites that syndicate content and adding their RSS feed to the list of feeds your Feed Reader checks. Many sites display a small icon with the acronyms RSS, XML, or RDF to let you know a feed is available.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 21 2011, 09:13 PM)

not familiar with rss

Im not sure how they work, but its like a news feed to news pages directly, without all the OTHER stuff a particular news service or paper has.....

Here some info...

What is RSS?

RSS (Rich Site Summary) is a format for delivering regularly changing web content. Many news-related sites, weblogs and other online publishers syndicate their content as an RSS Feed to whoever wants it.

RSS solves a problem for people who regularly use the web. It allows you to easily stay informed by retrieving the latest content from the sites you are interested in. You save time by not needing to visit each site individually. You ensure your privacy, by not needing to join each site's email newsletter. The number of sites offering RSS feeds is growing rapidly and includes big names like Yahoo News.

Feed Reader or News Aggregator software allow you to grab the RSS feeds from various sites and display them for you to read and use.

A variety of RSS Readers are available for different platforms. Some popular feed readers include Amphetadesk (Windows, Linux, Mac), FeedReader (Windows), and NewsGator (Windows - integrates with Outlook). There are also a number of web-based feed readers available. My Yahoo, Bloglines, and Google Reader are popular web-based feed readers.

Once you have your Feed Reader, it is a matter of finding sites that syndicate content and adding their RSS feed to the list of feeds your Feed Reader checks. Many sites display a small icon with the acronyms RSS, XML, or RDF to let you know a feed is available.

In essence, a really powerful way to just cut the crap, save your bandwidth and click the links you want to read.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 21 2011, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 21 2011, 09:13 PM)

not familiar with rss

Here some info...

What is RSS?

In essence, a really powerful way to just cut the crap, save your bandwidth and click the links you want to read.

thanks for the info. It looks like i have a couple of apps that are rss and I just didn't know what they were called. I enjoy reading them but they don't seem as in depth as some of the more specialized sites/apps.

I just got the HTC Incredible 4G for AT&T. Awesome phone.

Also, for anyone else on AT&T, I found out they are blocking apps in the market like tethering and other useful stuff. To get around their block, put the phone in airplane mode, turn on your wifi to connect to your home network and then go to the market. Since it is going around their network, you can see all the apps via a wifi network. Don't use an AT&T hotspot, they block it there too.

I use PDANet a lot to tether my Incredible to my laptop so I can get net access while traveling in airports where it isn't free. RingDroid is an awesome app for creating ringtones from your music media files. Of course the BarCodeScanner is pretty cool and since this phone has a light, the Flashlight app is useful sometimes when you need a bit more light.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 25 2011, 09:43 PM)
Anyone else use the voice recognition when typing texts or emails?  It is almost perfect when I use it and I never have to type on the virtual keyboard.  Saves so much time and takes so much less concentration.

Not me! laugh.gif But I have really sloppy/lazy articulation so it doesn't work when I try it.

It is fun to try out once in a while, though. Reminds me of Star Trek. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 25 2011, 10:43 PM)
Anyone else use the voice recognition when typing texts or emails? It is almost perfect when I use it and I never have to type on the virtual keyboard. Saves so much time and takes so much less concentration.

I use the talk-to-text function quite a bit, and I like it a lot. It feels like sometimes I have to talk like a robot for it to recognize everything I say. Also, I have to think about what I am going to say sometimes so that I know every word will be recognized.

This is technology that will only get better with time.

What about Swype? Anyone use that to enter text? I really like it. I actually get fewer errors using Swype than if I used the regular tapping keyboard. And Swype recognizes just about every word I've typed. And I think its faster, too.

QUOTE (Ender @ Feb 26 2011, 08:15 AM)
Anyone else use the voice recognition when typing texts or emails?  It is almost perfect when I use it and I never have to type on the virtual keyboard.  Saves so much time and takes so much less concentration.

I use the talk-to-text function quite a bit, and I like it a lot. It feels like sometimes I have to talk like a robot for it to recognize everything I say. Also, I have to think about what I am going to say sometimes so that I know every word will be recognized.

What about Swype? Anyone use that to enter text? I really like it. I actually get fewer errors using Swype than if I used the regular tapping keyboard. And Swype recognizes just about every word I've typed. And I think its faster, too.

You might like Vlingo for that purpose. It's a great app.

My buddy tried out a pirated version of Swype and he had to reimage his phone...

QUOTE (Ender @ Feb 26 2011, 06:15 AM)

I feel like a technology noob for asking this, but:

What exactly is "Swype"? How does it work? I've seen it on the menu but never used it.

I have a question for all you Android-smart people...

Is there any way to get Flash Player downloaded onto the phone? I've tried going to the Adobe Flash website through the browser and no luck. Also searched for an app; nothing. It would be great to have it, though. Without it there are so many things I can't access!

Edited by CMWriter