Leaving BU2B off of CA?

rushgoober

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Oct 15 2010, 04:41 PM)
BU2B is an awesome song and deals with a very relevant and important topic, if people want to side step it, ignore it or say they are uncomfortable with it then it is because of their own conflicitions with their faith. Too many don't want to hear about or address real issues and would rather hear some irrelevant happy song which doesn't upset anyone or make a relevant point.

Personally I think Neils lyrics are spot on and I love all of S&A.

Clockwork Angels is shaping up to be one of the best Rush albums of all time IMO

no sometimes people just want something a little more uplifting or some feel good type music because alot of people are going through tough times right now and have always been. unemployment, lost their house, not in the best of health etc....sometimes we just want to roll our windows down and crank a tune like red barchetta to take us away from some of the craziness. i'm not getting that here. i guess if someone doesn't like it there's plenty of other music out there to listen to. i for one am discovering lots of great music so life goes on.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 15 2010, 05:14 PM)
BU2B is an awesome song and deals with a very relevant and important topic, if people want to side step it, ignore it or say they are uncomfortable with it then it is because of their own conflicitions with their faith. Too many don't want to hear about or address real issues and would rather hear some irrelevant happy song which doesn't upset anyone or make a relevant point.

Clockwork Angels is shaping up to be one of the best Rush albums of all time IMO

no sometimes people just want something a little more uplifting or some feel good type music because alot of people are going through tough times right now and have always been. unemployment, lost their house, not in the best of health etc....sometimes we just want to roll our windows down and crank a tune like red barchetta to take us away from some of the craziness. i'm not getting that here. i guess if someone doesn't like it there's plenty of other music out there to listen to. i for one am discovering lots of great music so life goes on.

TMMB is just expressing an opinion like you and Rushgoober have done many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times on Caravan and BU2B.

beathorse.gif

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Oct 15 2010, 02:41 PM)
BU2B... deals with a very relevant and important topic, if people want to side step it, ignore it or say they are uncomfortable with it then it is because of their own conflicitions with their faith.

laugh.gif

If you say so, but that doesn't apply to me at all.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 14 2010, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Oct 14 2010, 11:49 AM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

If people find find BU2B and Faithless offensive.... well.... I dont know what to say. They happen to be kind of spot on to the way I myself feel. Sorry.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Oct 15 2010, 05:28 PM)
Guess you find thinking for oneself to be a bad thing since that seems to be the primary "message" of the lyrics.

Well this thread should be indicative that thinking for yourself is something that I obviously do NOT think is a bad thing. wink.gif

I wish that was the primary message of a song like BU2B and Faithless, but it goes beyond that to me and actually puts down people who view things in a certain way. Then again, not everyone will interpret their songs in the same way. When I say that I find it depressing, preachy and cynical, that's how I'm viewing it. Other people cheer it on as they did Faithless as it really being right on and in line with their views. That's fine, and they're entitled. I just don't see it that way.

Faithless is one of the few Rush songs that seems to be completely expressing Neil's personal view. It's obviously stating what he thinks and feels so therefore I don't see why anyone who doesn't share this viewpoint should be offended.

I simply don't see why someone chooses to be offended just because someone else has a different point of view. I don't see it as putting anyone down. It's just self-expression. You're choosing to take it that way because it's in opposition to how you feel when it's not attacking anyone's view at all.

If people find find BU2B and Faithless offensive.... well.... I dont know what to say. They happen to be kind of spot on to the way I myself feel. Sorry.

They both represent the complete opposite of my own personal views, and I still think they rock. Well BU2B does... Faithless is "meh"

don't be sorry. some of us will like and some of us won't. it makes the world go 'round. laugh.gif

I doubt many find BU2B offensive- including the detractors in this thread. Mostly what they've been saying is they are tired of hearing that particular theme.

I guess I made my peace several albums ago that while Neil's point of view is often the opposite of mine, at least it's an intelligent conversation. Of all the "anti-religion" songs, BU2B is the one that MOST lines up with my way of thinking. He's not taking a broad shot at organized religion in this song, but a shot a certain brand of Christianity that attempts to tie a person's suffering or reward to their actions, something the Bible specifically does not teach. So I can get on board with the general sentiment in this song, though the "watchmakers loves us all to death" is a bit of a broader shot at all believers. Still, I appreciate the theme of the song. Mostly, I think it just rocks, though.

"Faithless", I don't think is well written lyrically. It comes off (IMO) sounding like he feels the chorus is clever, when it really isn't. "I don't believe in belief" is not a groundbreaking truth for an atheist, nor is it an effective argument for unbelief. Clearly believers believe in belief and atheists don't. I still think Faithless is a decent enough song, but it's the weakest on S&A, imo, more due to it's mid tempo and lack of energy than its lyrics.

Now "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice" IS clever, and one of my favorite lines from a Rush song.

I think BU2B needs to be heard in context with the rest of the album! You don't know what the outcome of the entire movement is going to reflect until you here it. Yes, right now its about some guy that has had a fallen out with his religious upbringing but you don't know how's it's going to end. All I know is that the song Rocks, both on the recording and Live! regardless, If the first two songs are any indication of Clockwork Angels, I'm going to be very pleased, because both songs have great musicianship, lyrics, and power. It's 2.gif at their best!

It's heavy and it's rocks! What more do we want?

1022.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 15 2010, 06:14 PM)

see, now, I can see two different sides of that. There are times when I want to lose myself in "dreamland" so to speak and forget my troubles, listening to songs that have nothing to do with my current troubles. Sometimes, like lately, I want to listen to an angry, mad at life and the "watchmaker" kind of songs like BU2B and just immerse myself in it and BE mad. just my own 2 cents. I personally LOVE both new songs, BU2B especially. But that may have something to do with the fact that I'm Pagan and the way I became Pagan confused13.gif

QUOTE (Astromancer @ Oct 16 2010, 03:12 PM)
OP, go listen to natural science. IMHO, you're f*cked in the head and BU2B is a badass, heavy, inspiring tune that speaks the truth.

Uncalled for. We're talking about taste in music here, not debating life and death matters. You went way overboard there.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 16 2010, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 16 2010, 04:42 PM)
Why is everybody so bitchy today? All over the board. It's kind of sad. eh.gif

maybe it's the weather getting colder and the sun setting earlier? i'm listening to frank sinatra hour on the radio so everything is good in my world. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You're listening to somebody other than Rush? ohmy.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 16 2010, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Oct 16 2010, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Oct 16 2010, 04:42 PM)
Why is everybody so bitchy today? All over the board. It's kind of sad. eh.gif

maybe it's the weather getting colder and the sun setting earlier? i'm listening to frank sinatra hour on the radio so everything is good in my world. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

You're listening to somebody other than Rush? ohmy.gif

i had some wine before along with some good food. the mood was right plus i like to play air drums to frank. biggrin.gif

Archived