Misheard RUSH lyrics

PriestOfSyrinx

First of all: I'm new here (posting-wise), so hi to all fellow RUSH-maniacs!! bekloppt.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

I always misheard the following line from The Fountain of Lamneth:

"The sky is pitching violently" as "The sky is bitching violently"

laugh.gif

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Irenicus @ Oct 19 2010, 08:42 PM)
First of all: I'm new here (posting-wise), so hi to all fellow RUSH-maniacs!! bekloppt.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

I always misheard the following line from The Fountain of Lamneth:

"The sky is pitching violently" as "The sky is bitching violently"

laugh.gif

Welcome!

Love your avatar

"Mein furher I can walk" laugh.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 19 2010, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Oct 18 2010, 09:34 PM)
For the longest time I thought "all pre-ordained, a prisoner in chains was "All through your days, a prisoner in chains"

Really??? I never knew that ohmy.gif

Wait, seriously?

Oh. blush4.gif

For awhile, in Animate I misheard "Polarize me" as "Pulverize me"

So technically, my misheard lyric would translate to "Annihilate me" or "Reduce me into very little particles"

I also thought "Goddess in my garden" was "God is in my garden"

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Oct 19 2010, 11:20 PM)
For awhile, in Animate I misheard "Polarize me" as "Pulverize me"
So technically, my misheard lyric would translate to "Annihilate me" or "Reduce me into very little particles"

I also thought "Goddess in my garden" was "God is in my garden"

I thought Geddy was saying "Christmas of the pagan mother". Didn't seem to make much sense.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Oct 18 2010, 08:10 AM)
Just the other day, my friend posted on my FB wall that he thought the lyrics to Tom Sawyer were "and the Space Invader gets by on you," and was surprised when he looked up the lyrics and found out he was wrong.  biggrin.gif

I was watching an old episode of Futurama, one where they take turns talking to the "what-if" machine. Fry asked what if life were more like a videogame. And so we're presented with a scenario where several mostly classic 80's videogames make cameo appearances:

Asteroids

Donkey Kong

Mario Brothers

PacMan

Qbert

Space Invaders

Near the end, Earth is being invaded by Space Invaders, and it's up to Fry to save the planet. He used to rule at Space Invaders, so he puts his lucky helmet on, cranks up some music, and proceeds to kick butt. The song thats getting airplay while he's shooting 'em up? --

Tom Sawyer

"...and the space he invades, he gets by on you..."

Get it? Space invaders, space he invades. It happens quickly, but when I caught it, it sure made me smile inside. Then it made me mad for a sec: "Wait a minute, are you saying that nerdy videogamers listened to Rush while dominating?" Then I laughed again, cuz I realized, "why yes, yes indeed, that IS how it went down back then." At least in my case.

Ah, videogames, Dungeon and Dragons, and Rush in the 80's. Brings back memories of how me and my 7th to 9th grade circle of friends killed time together. th1245.gif

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Oct 20 2010, 06:43 AM)
I was watching an old episode of Futurama, one where they take turns talking to the "what-if" machine. Fry asked what if life were more like a videogame. And so we're presented with a scenario where several mostly classic 80's videogames make cameo appearances:

Asteroids
Donkey Kong
Mario Brothers
PacMan
Qbert
Space Invaders

Near the end, Earth is being invaded by Space Invaders, and it's up to Fry to save the planet. He used to rule at Space Invaders, so he puts his lucky helmet on, cranks up some music, and proceeds to kick butt. The song thats getting airplay while he's shooting 'em up? --

Tom Sawyer
"...and the space he invades, he gets by on you..."

Get it? Space invaders, space he invades. It happens quickly, but when I caught it, it sure made me smile inside. Then it made me mad for a sec: "Wait a minute, are you saying that nerdy videogamers listened to Rush while dominating?" Then I laughed again, cuz I realized, "why yes, yes indeed, that IS how it went down back then." At least in my case.

Ah, videogames, Dungeon and Dragons, and Rush in the 80's. Brings back memories of how me and my 7th to 9th grade circle of friends killed time together. th1245.gif

I believe this is the scene you're talking about: http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index....&videoId=162725

biggrin.gif

confused13.gif comp26.gif What you're doing. I always thought that Neil wrote the F- word in the lyrics but it actually was:

You'd better do some talking or you'd better do some WALKING now!

Easy one for me. During "New World Man" -

"He's a writer, an arranger, and a young boy bearing arms."

"He's a writer, an arranger, and a young boy Barry Bonds."

th1245.gif

QUOTE (NewWorldMan1971 @ Oct 25 2010, 10:42 AM)
Easy one for me. During "New World Man" -

"He's a writer, an arranger, and a young boy bearing arms."

"He's a writer, an arranger, and a young boy Barry Bonds."
th1245.gif

That's a mishear on steroids! laugh.gif

Ouch...Sorry... bolt.gif

Just heard (mis-heard) another one earlier today, from "Beneath, Between, & Behind:"

Should be:

"Beneath the noble birth

Between the proudest words

Behind the beauty, cracks appear"

I heard:

"Beneath the noble birth

Behind the beauty, cracks a beer"

cool.gif

QUOTE (NewWorldMan1971 @ Nov 5 2010, 09:49 PM)
Just heard (mis-heard) another one earlier today, from "Beneath, Between, & Behind:"

Should be:
"Beneath the noble birth
Behind the beauty, cracks appear"

I heard:
"Beneath the noble birth
Behind the beauty, cracks a beer"

cool.gif

i thought it was "beneath the nobile birds" until now tongue.gif

I screwed up this line in "New World Man" for, oh, about 20 years:

"He's a writer and arranger. . ."

I thought it was:

"He's a rider and a ranger. . ." blush4.gif

Years ago when I first heard "Limelight," during "with insufficient tact" I heard "with some fishing tack." confused13.gif

Despite the fact that I now know the real lyrics, I still sing "with some fishing tack" really loud because I like those lyrics.

Now I've just learned to go memorize the lyrics before I decide to belt them out.

QUOTE (thing2jordan @ Oct 19 2010, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 19 2010, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (The_Enemy_Within @ Oct 18 2010, 09:34 PM)
For the longest time I thought "all pre-ordained, a prisoner in chains was "All through your days, a prisoner in chains"

Really??? I never knew that ohmy.gif

Wait, seriously?

Oh. blush4.gif

I had to look it up because I thought I was crazy after other people having the same misconception...

http://www.lyricsbay.com/freewill_permanen...yrics-rush.html

...Okay. I guess I'm sane. It is preordained.

But yeah, for YEARS I always sung "All through your days" ...

Back in the day when all I could afford was 90 minute cassette tapes and didn't know the names of the various parts of 2112, I always thought the lyric was

"We are the beasts, of the devil's first series"

also

"We're on the trail to Bangkok, all bored with time and expense".

Purchasing the Rush albums one by one on vinyl soon put an end to misheard lyrics.

In Countdown, I know the words are "excitement so thick, you can cut it with a knife"

but I keep singing, "excitement so thick you can spread it with a knife" anyway. Like it's peanut butter or miracle whip or nutella or fluff or something...

wacko.gif