New RUSH Fans...

Presto-a RUSH fan!

Hello New Rush fan,

I just wanted to let you know how lucky you are to embark on the musical journey that is being a RUSH fan. I became a RUSH fan on 06-08-90. I had heard the RUSH classics like "Tom Sawyer" and "Spirit of Radio" but really that was about it. I was a year out of high school and a bunch of my friends were going to see RUSH. I looked at it as a time to hang out and get high. I also looked forward to the fabled Neil Peart drum solo that some friends that knew more about RUSH than I did, told me about. So I go to the concert and I am literally blown away. And not just from the copious amount of weed I smoked. I couldn't believe how amazing they were. Being a fan of mostly hard rock and heavy metal I had never heard a band so amazing live. And of course the drum solo was unbelievable.

I immediately went out and bought Presto. At that time it was cassettes and I listened to that one until it was wore out. I wanted, no needed, to hear more. So I went and bought a new Presto and added Moving Pictures. While at the music store I noticed that RUSH had what seemed to be a million albums. A friend of mine who also was blown away at the concert and already had Presto, bought Fly By Night. We both started listening to them and every time we got together we would introduce the other to the amazing new songs we had discovered. This continued thru the 14 RUSH albums and 3 live albums that were out at the time.

This started my love affair with RUSH that has lasted to this day. The beauty of being a new RUSH fan is that you get to go on a musical journey as you buy each new album. Within about 3 months I owned all the RUSH albums that were available at that time. What an amazing thing to find a group that you love and then find out that they have so much music available to love. Now my post high school days are all remembered by different RUSH albums. When Roll The Bones came out we went to Hamilton, Ontario to see the first concert for the tour. (I live in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio about 40 mins south of Cleveland, Ohio) What an amazing time and an even better concert.

Basically I just wanted to let any new RUSH fans who have just discovered this wonderful treasure that you are in store for an amazing journey and I am so envious of you! For whatever reason it took you so long to discover RUSH or maybe you're just a youngster who is just getting into music, I just want you to know how lucky you are to have found this 3 man super group from Canada!

Best wishes on your journey!

Marc

Edited by Presto_a RUSH fan_06-08-90

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst i concure with all that you say unfortunately new rush fans have long since missed out on the glory years but hopefully there will still be plenty of great music in the future also. wink.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 08:35 AM)
whilst i concure with all that you say unfortunately new rush fans have long since missed out on the glory years but hopefully there will still be plenty of great music in the future also. wink.gif

Stop being a miserable old fart Tel -

I agree with Marc - anyone who discovers RUSH today has an amazing amount of quality and varied music to become engrossed in ..

Just becasue we were lucky enough to be around at the time doesn't mean others can't enjoy the legacy - I have become besotted with Pink Floyd recently and I know I will never see them live and especially at their prime .. but I am expanding my collection despite this ..

Music isn't just about being there - that's called luck

2.gif

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 02:35 AM)

Oh, please.

They're still in their glory years. The glory years never ended.

I love hearing people praise the band for being progressive, for being experiemental - "just listen to Hemispheres, man! they explore so many musical themes, it's awesome!" - but as soon as they experiment with something you don't like, you change your tune.

It's been 30 years since Moving Pictures. They've progressed. That's why they call it Progressive Rock. Get over it.

Same as it ever was.

I first heard 2112 in '78 and was a fan instantly. I then had 5 albums to discover. After a federally imposed vacation from '86 to '93 I then had several more albums to discover.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. That's why I listen in spurts.

So to speak.

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Oct 5 2010, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 08:35 AM)

Stop being a miserable old fart Tel -

I agree with Marc - anyone who discovers RUSH today has an amazing amount of quality and varied music to become engrossed in ..

Just becasue we were lucky enough to be around at the time doesn't mean others can't enjoy the legacy - I have become besotted with Pink Floyd recently and I know I will never see them live and especially at their prime .. but I am expanding my collection despite this ..

Music isn't just about being there - that's called luck

2.gif

It's all perspective, and there is a lot of luck involved.

I'm truly glad I was around when Rush were putting out a new album every year or year and a half, and each one was something new and incredible. I seriously miss those times. However, the new fan gets the advantage of a huge catalog to choose from of so many great albums, and the band is still touring, even if we don't know for how much longer. Also, the band has some respect now that they didn't have back then, even if the RRHOF treats them like shit.

In terms of luck, I've missed out on almost every band I love, which is mostly 60's and 70's stuff, in terms of seeing them live at least. Even the bands that survived I either saw and realized they were way past their prime, or I avoided because I didn't want to see them as a shadow of who they were in their glory days.

Since I generally greatly prefer studio music to live music, though, I'm happy. Still, there are some bands I sure would have loved to see in their heyday - mostly Pink Floyd & The Grateful Dead in the late 60's / early 70's. I still plan on going to the Monterey Pop Festival, Woodstock and seeing Pink Floyd at the UFO club in 1966/1967 once time travel is invented...

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 07:36 AM)

Oh, please.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

As much as I love Rush, and I will certainly go and see them any chance I can, they are not in their glory years.... no.gif

QUOTE (GreedHasNoConscience @ Oct 5 2010, 08:46 AM)

Oh, please.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

As much as I love Rush, and I will certainly go and see them any chance I can, they are not in their glory years.... no.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know, the band ended in 1981, right? Give me a break. No band has put out such consistently good music for as long as Rush.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 10:52 AM)

Oh, please.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the band ended in 1981, right? Give me a break. No band has put out such consistently good music for as long as Rush.

Didn't Geddy just say this tour alone (time machine) they have not played better live together?

Long live Rush!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 5 2010, 08:03 AM)

Oh, please.

Didn't Geddy just say this tour alone (time machine) they have not played better live together?

Long live Rush!

I have to agree in concert at least they are better then ever, and the music is interesting and I continue to find stuff to like about them. If I didn't, I wouldn't look forward to each new release and tour.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:03 AM)

Oh, please.

Long live Rush!

Exactly.

Cling to the past as much as you like, there is a quality that only comes with time and experience, and they are a better band now than they were 30 years ago because they keep learning, they keep expanding their talents and they never stop moving - figuratively speaking.

That's not to say that every album has been better than the last, but it's foolish to say that the band peaked in 1980 because once you hit a peak, everything is downhill. Nonsense.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 11:52 AM)

Oh, please.

Fight though you may, you will always be in the minority on this one.

Most agree that Rush's best period was 3-5 years on either side of the Moving Pictures release.

And sounding great in concert and putting out timeless music are two entirely different things. Not saying that I don't like Rush's new stuff, but the stuff that many would consider "timeless" or "classic" is about 2-4 songs on any given release today. In other words, at best third of the album.

Whereas for Moving Pictures, it was the entire album that was considered in that elite category, hence the reason IT got picked to be played in its entirety.

So is any band ever more than their most popular album then? Is it too much to expect people to consider a band's collective work and sum of their output rather than cling to one album that was released 30 years ago? Or to cling to one period that lasted a mere 6 years?

I may be in the minority, but I maintain that this band has been going strong, with very few missteps <cough> virtuality virtuality </cough> along the way for five times as long as that period of time that so many cling to.

it is fun being a new fan, first concert and being blown away, still have more albums to pick up and they are still recording

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2010, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 5 2010, 11:52 AM)

Oh, please.

Fight though you may, you will always be in the minority on this one.

Most agree that Rush's best period was 3-5 years on either side of the Moving Pictures release.

And sounding great in concert and putting out timeless music are two entirely different things. Not saying that I don't like Rush's new stuff, but the stuff that many would consider "timeless" or "classic" is about 2-4 songs on any given release today. In other words, at best third of the album.

Whereas for Moving Pictures, it was the entire album that was considered in that elite category, hence the reason IT got picked to be played in its entirety.

In terms of quality of new material, I gotta say that their glory years are generally well behind them, even though S&A showed they are still capable of pulling out some great songs sometimes. Add to that the fact that they only put an album out every 5 years or so. Hard to call that glory days when previously they were cranking out consistent classic albums every 12 to 18 months.

So in terms of new music, their glory years are long gone. Playing live they may be better than ever musically, but Geddy's voice is certainly not what it once was.

That said, the recent resurgence of popularity and respect for the band in the last few years is a whole different matter. One could easily say they're in their glory years just for that, and the band seems to be having more fun than they ever have.

Edited by rushgoober

Wow, why does a thread celebrating the discovery of Rush by new fans immediately turn into the usual "Old Rush Good New Rush Bad" argument? old.gif confused13.gif

I agree that Rush's overall peak moment was probably around MP/PoW, but Rush is still doing extremely well compared to my other favorite bands from that era:

Yes - Founding member thrown under the bus; now a glorified tribute band.

Genesis - Probably done, from Phil's most recent comments.

Pink Floyd - Probably done.

Marillion - Still recording and touring, but not in the US.

Rush may not still be in their "glory years," but they're definitely enjoying a kind of renaissance these days. Their live energy on the TM tour has been infectious, and the fan response extremely strong at the two shows I've seen.

And Rush is about to embark on a freaking full-blown concept album with steampunk/sci-fi overtones! Even if you don't love the first two tracks, at least give Rush props for retaining such ambition at this point in their career.

Anyway, I really don't understand why some New Rush Haters feel constantly compelled to tell everyone how much Rush sucks now compared to the "good old days." old.gif beathorse.gif old.gif

Back to the OP's original thought.....new RUSH fans.

It doesn't matter what period you discovered RUSH or what album you think they peaked on or your perception of their glory years. As a new fan just haven't had to decide that yet, which leads to a pure listening experience, with your bias conclusions to come later. My advice to new RUSH fans.... Listen to all their music, starting from the beginning....and enjoy the ride.

If you are a fan who has newly discovered RUSH, then you can re-live all the periods, album by album and then make your own personal conclusions.

I was able to take the journey 'real time' from Hemispheres on but can never take that 'new experience journey' again.

The OP is saying that we should all be envious of new RUSH fans and their ability to take that journey through all the RUSH albums regardless of it being in the time the albums were released.

I have seen it first hand....my 16 yr. old son is a new RUSH fan. I gave him every RUSH cd, in order, and we both listened to them together, in order.

My son was able to take the RUSH journey. I was able to live vicariously through him. It was 'new fan' envy for me and a 'new fan' time travel experience for him.

o.k to clarify,i am not a new rush hater and i have said many times even a poor rush album is better than most of the fodder we see released these days.

however (imo ) and i expect the opinions of the majority here rush do not produce the quality they did 75-80 (the glory years)again my op.

test for echo was piss poor,vapor trails was not much better and s&a was very much a mixed bag.

i am however encouraged by bu2b and caravan and LOOK FORWARD VERY MUCH to the new album.

QUOTE (tel @ Oct 5 2010, 12:08 PM)
o.k to clarify,i am not a new rush hater
test for echo was piss poor,vapor trails was not much better and s&a was very much a mixed bag.
i am however encouraged by bu2b and caravan and LOOK FORWARD VERY MUCH to the new album.

Yeah, you're not a new Rush hater, you just don't like anything they've done for the past 14 years rofl3.gif "piss poor" and "not much better"... awesome.

Oh, but the two new tracks are encouraging! z7shysterical.gif

I'm a new Rush fan and am enjoying immensley discovering all the music they have already put out. I love it when i discover a band that has already released so many albums - so much to explore!

It's great as i listen to a different album every night, and my favourites keep changing. I still have more to discover.

Right now i'm saving so i'm ready if they tour the UK next year as i really want to see them.

Having not seen them before, what sort of venues will they play in the UK Large arenas and stadia? Somewhere like Wembley or the O2?

I am a relatively new fan (for a little over a year). It took me a while to get all their studio albums (I have everyone except Feedback) and now I am working on getting live albums. Its great to hear all the stages they went through over the last 35 years. 2.gif

QUOTE (RUSHMAN999 @ Oct 5 2010, 02:08 PM)
Damm i have not been on for a while but cant understand why everyone is so negative about what rush have done these guys are living legends in the uk yes.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RdqUIvhN4jo/SwkU_1DL3qI/AAAAAAAAGw4/EuWN79PBCwE/s320/curb.jpg

Half empty or half full?

It seems to be the eternal question here on TRF.

It's true, they aren't nearly as tight as they were in the eighties. You watch an 80's video of YYZ or La Villa Strangiato or Cygnus X-1 and you'll be crying that you didn't see them more often in their prime.

Still, they're not bullshitting their way through the new stuff - they're still producing great albums that I genuinely love to listen to. It's true that today they are still GODS of intense, explosive music, but if you don't believe they've lost it a little, take a look back. So crisp, so punchy, so flawless. They've got bigger sound, better technology, and have more bells and whistles today, but back in the 70's/80's, their perfectly coordinated technical skills were a sight and sound to behold.

I wish I could have actually seen them then. It's extremely depressing that I can only see them through old videos recorded long before I was born. sad.gif