Picked these up

marblesmike

I got these today to add to my new but growing vinyl collection. I'll be curious to see who recognizes the non-Rush items smile.gif

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7784/0824002041.jpg

I still need FBN, CoS, Signals, and everything from HYF up to have the full Rush catalog. Any record hunting tips besides ebay or online? Anyone know of any good NJ/Philly area record stores with used vinyl.

I've done Princeton Record Exchange too.

As I recall, that place on rt 18 in East Brunswick has a lot of vinyl. I'm just trying to remember the name of it. It's right across the street from the mall. It's wedged right in between rt 18 and Old Bridge Tpk. For the life of me, I can't remember the name. Is that joint still even open?

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Aug 25 2010, 12:27 AM)
As I recall, that place on rt 18 in East Brunswick has a lot of vinyl. I'm just trying to remember the name of it. It's right across the street from the mall. It's wedged right in between rt 18 and Old Bridge Tpk. For the life of me, I can't remember the name. Is that joint still even open?

I saw Opeth at the Starland Ballroom, which I believe is right near where you mentioned. The only reason I bring it us is because I was talking to Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth after the show, who is a big record collector. He was showing me some of the records he picked up at a local vinyl store in the area. Might be worth a trip up there to investigate, especially if someone can figure out what it's called.

I recognize that Taco Bell bag drool1.gif

I knew someone would notice that :-D Some say it is gross, but I definitely think it is the best of the fast food chains. For $2 or $3 you can really get stuffed.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 25 2010, 12:50 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Aug 25 2010, 12:41 AM)
Is that a coupon for Primo's Hoagies?  MMMmmmm smile.gif

No Primo's Water Ice, in Westmont, NJ. But Primo's Hoagies are good :-)

MMmmmm water ice. Westmont! A lovely stop on the high speed line smile.gif I remember when the Westmont Theater showed movies.. A very famous actor was once an usher there.. he was from Collingswood.. smile.gif

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 25 2010, 12:38 AM)
I saw Opeth at the Starland Ballroom, which I believe is right near where you mentioned.

IIRC (and mind you, I've never been there), Starland Ballroom is on Jernee Mill Road, right off Bordentown Ave. It's not far from there; take Bordentown to 18 and make a right (northbound). You'll pass the mall on your left and Red Lobster and Denny's on the right. It's immediately after that. I haven't lived in the area in like 6 yrs, so if you'd be traveling, you might want to ask a local if it's still there.

Word to the wise: don't go looking for it. I just looked it up. It was called Record Setter, and here's what the internet has to say about it:

"Do you remember Record Setter??? It was this little purple house on Route 18 across the street from the mall in East Brunswick. They had some really cheap and amazing vinyl finds. Then about 6-7 years ago it got bought out by another private owner and it was nothing but used video games. Now it's just a sad little empty purple house. What a shame."

Guess it's not there anymore.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 25 2010, 02:12 AM)
One Size Fits All?

Yup. my favorite Zappa album for sure! So far I have that and Apostrophe. Everything Zappa did from Overnite Sensation to Joe's Garage IMO is amazing. What a genius.

Zappa records are usually expensive in most record shops, and until yesterday, I'm not sure I saw One Size Fits All.

Come on you Philly/NJ natives -- any good record stores?

I read about one called Vintage Vinyl up in the north Jersey area that's supposed to be really good. Maybe that's the one Akerfeldt was talking about.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 25 2010, 11:37 AM)
I read about one called Vintage Vinyl up in the north Jersey area that's supposed to be really good. Maybe that's the one Akerfeldt was talking about.

Vintage Vinyl isn't bad; it's kinda hit or miss. Sometimes you find something awesome (that's where I got the Japanese Different Stages), but sometimes their selection is lackluster. It's ridiculously easy to find, though; it's right on Rt 1, immediately south of the Parkway.

If you're in the area anyway, there are a few more around there. There's Curmudgeon in Edison, maybe. I haven't been there in over 15 years.

UPDATE: Just checked their webpage. Looks like they moved to Somerville.

I wonder if that means Sound Exchange is no longer there. Nope. Just checked. You could hit 2 record stores right down the road from each other. Main Street in Somerville.

There was also another one in Edison, I think. I can't find it so I think it closed. To the best of my recollection, it used to be near Old Post Road, right off of 1.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 25 2010, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 25 2010, 02:12 AM)
One Size Fits All?

Yup. my favorite Zappa album for sure! So far I have that and Apostrophe. Everything Zappa did from Overnite Sensation to Joe's Garage IMO is amazing. What a genius.

Zappa records are usually expensive in most record shops, and until yesterday, I'm not sure I saw One Size Fits All.

Come on you Philly/NJ natives -- any good record stores?

Cool beans.

I'm a big fan of FZ from Hot Rats up to about 1980 or so, particularly anything done with Terry Bozzio and Patrick O'Hearn in the band.

I have that FZ vinyl. Love it! His stuff from mid-'70's to early '80's was dynamite.

...And, you found the best early Rush album on vinyl. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Aug 26 2010, 09:25 AM)
I just recently reaquainted myself with vinyl after a 17 year haitus. I have aquired a nice little collection but sadly I have no Rush (yet).

as you can see, I love vinyl LP's, I prefer vinyl over CD's for many of the bands I choose to listen too and really to me, if the album was recorded in the analog days and released on vinyl, it is meant to be played on vinyl. Newer releases on CD alone (or released on limited vinyl pressings) all sound like crap to me mostly and so I rarely listen to a CD.

here's my vinyl, good luck with your collection

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/h6ksa1/Mobile%20Uploads/mms_picture-50.jpg

In Philly there is the Philadelphia Record Exchange on 3rd and South st.

Also try Beautiful World Syndicate on Passyunk ave.Lot's of vinyl there.

Repo Records on south st. used to be good too.

Aka(?) Records on 2nd and Market has some vinyl too.

Google these and call them.I'm not sure if Repo is still around.

FZ records should be cheap...don't ever pay more than $10 for most titles.The early ones are harder to find clean,but honestly most Zappa albums are abundent and should be found for cheap.

Come to think of it I really need to upgrade my rush vinyl,they've been played to death.

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Aug 26 2010, 12:03 PM)

FZ records should be cheap...don't ever pay more than $10 for most titles.The early ones are harder to find clean,but honestly most Zappa albums are abundent and should be found for cheap.

Come to think of it I really need to upgrade my rush vinyl,they've been played to death.

this is helpful, since i just moved to center city philly!!!

the only one i already know of is Repo, which is still around.

QUOTE (spok @ Aug 26 2010, 10:58 AM)

as you can see, I love vinyl LP's, I prefer vinyl over CD's for many of the bands I choose to listen too and really to me, if the album was recorded in the analog days and released on vinyl, it is meant to be played on vinyl.

I agree 100%. Which is why I own in excess of 600 LPs spanning from early '60s to the present; the only CDs I own are from the '90s to the present.

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 28 2010, 10:33 AM)

Anything decent at Repo is really overpriced. They had Zappa's Overnite Sensation priced at around $20 when I was there a few weeks ago. At of all the ones listed, Repo is the worst, followed by Aka. Aka used to have a great vinyl selection, but they've really scaled back. BWS and Philly Record Exchange are pretty good though. There's another BWS in West Philly I think at 49th and Pine or something like that. You can google it. Also, I got the above mentioned records at Long in the Tooth near Rittenhouse Square. Decent prices and decent selection. Finally, I know of a place called Hideway Music in Chestnut Hill. A lot of stuff is overpriced, but they have a good selection and a "3 for $10" section in the back which has some nice finds.

Man I'm really looking for a nice copy of Signals and am having a lot of trouble!

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Aug 28 2010, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Aug 28 2010, 10:33 AM)

Anything decent at Repo is really overpriced. They had Zappa's Overnite Sensation priced at around $20 when I was there a few weeks ago. At of all the ones listed, Repo is the worst, followed by Aka. Aka used to have a great vinyl selection, but they've really scaled back. BWS and Philly Record Exchange are pretty good though. There's another BWS in West Philly I think at 49th and Pine or something like that. You can google it. Also, I got the above mentioned records at Long in the Tooth near Rittenhouse Square. Decent prices and decent selection. Finally, I know of a place called Hideway Music in Chestnut Hill. A lot of stuff is overpriced, but they have a good selection and a "3 for $10" section in the back which has some nice finds.

Man I'm really looking for a nice copy of Signals and am having a lot of trouble!

Cool.Long in the Tooth is the one I forgot to mention.Never been there but always hear good things about that place.Honestly I haven't been in town to shop for vinyl in awhile.Too bad Repo is tanking 'cause I used to find amazing stuff there really underpriced(talking rare obscure 70's prog Lp's.)A lot of these stores are really struggling to stay afloat.

Yeah there is a BWS in West philly and it's good too.Both stores have a fairly fast turnaround so it's good to check back often.

I'm itching to buy some vinyl-watch out. tongue.gif I need a mint Hemispheres bad!

Honestly I think with patience a lot of still sealed copies of Rush Lp's can be found online at reasonable prices,but it's more fun to get your hands dirty sometimes.

Archived