Red Rocks 8/16/10

Clue69Less

Thanks to the storm for blowing through in time for the show to go on! I enjoyed the show in a big way even though there were a bunch of technical glitches. The video screen crashed in the opening sequence, so the guys just started playing. I thought they sounded great most of the time. When they were on, they were really on and when they got off, they recovered quickly. But that sounds nit-picky. The soul and vibe was really great and I had a blast. I booted the entire show and we listened to a bunch of the second set on the drive home. It needs a little EQ but to my ears, it sounds really good. I'll get it tweaked and put it up on the Dime or Watergate. I'll be at the Wednesday show and plan to record that one too. Hopefully, the video production will work then.

Video issue, then Alex had some kind of guitar issue during the second song, but they hit their stride the rest of the show. Weather was perfect, crowd was GREAT, the guys . . . well, they still got it. 'Nuff said?

Wow, what a GREAT show. Ged & Alex were playing to the crowd and loving it. Geddy was kind enough to send out t-shirts for me and my kids during Neil's solo. Then my hubby caught one when they threw them into the audience.

Can't wait until Wednesday 2.gif

Yep, few snafus early. When the video went out, the whole place did a collective "WTF".

Geddy looked like he had some issues with the in-ears early; looked frustrated.

All was soon forgotten from about Freewill onwards.

Choked up at Subdivisions again... what can I say? My favorite band playing my favorite song in a place about as close to a slice of heaven as it gets.

Can't say I dug the crowd. A little too inebriated at the end for my liking. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the fast track to the beer line seems to go right in front of me and I get tired of it very quickly.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 17 2010, 03:14 AM)
Choked up at Subdivisions again... what can I say? My favorite band playing my favorite song in a place about as close to a slice of heaven as it gets.

Yes, Subdivisions was excellent! I'm sitting at my desk at work playing the first set through my little PC speakers and coworkers are coming by to marvel at the magnificance that is Rush. It only took me 4 years to get my bootleg rig working right... My face still hurts from smiling too much. Hearing Faithless was awesome. Now if they would just throw We Hold On into a set!

Hey I dig your avatar!

Edited by Clue69Less

My 11th time seeing "The Holy Triumvurate" and far and away the best performance yet. The snafu with the video at the start was no big deal, and I agree from Freewill on they were ON! Maybe it was just me in the 49th row but it seemed that during the first set anyway Neil was a little buried in the mix, but Alex was simply amazing. His solo in Marathon still is giving me goose bumps. Hope they mix it up a little tomorrow and switch a couple songs. I would love to hear my all time fav "Middletown Dreams."

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 17 2010, 03:12 AM)

Wow, what a GREAT show. Ged & Alex were playing to the crowd and loving it. Geddy was kind enough to send out t-shirts for me and my kids during Neil's solo. Then my hubby caught one when they threw them into the audience.

Any more word about whether or not Wednesday's show will be taped for DVD release?

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 17 2010, 01:14 AM)

this was happening alot during the Gibson show. obviously it's a very technical show and there is bound to be some hiccups, but they seem to be having more technical problems on this tour compared to previous tours.

Yep, few snafus early. When the video went out, the whole place did a collective "WTF".

Can't say I dug the crowd. A little too inebriated at the end for my liking. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the fast track to the beer line seems to go right in front of me and I get tired of it very quickly.

I do agree with you here on the beer problem had people using my seat as the aisle to go in and out. Had a drunk who didn't even know where his seat was and stood in my way the whole time.

The worst a woman who won a contest for the tickets,sound check, etc. She arrived late, missed the sound check and generally knew who they were but was not a fan. Her son had no clue who the band was and texted all night. sad.gif Wish I could've brought my friends Mikey & Patty down to those seats.

As for the band, no complaints, they played a killer show. trink39.gif cheer.gif 2.gif

I think they actually filmed last night's show too. Maybe they are doing both with the plan obviously being to get a comp of the two.

She arrived late, missed the sound check and generally knew who they were but was not a fan. Her son had no clue who the band was and texted all night.

Oh, that's not good. As someone who tried (in vain) for several weeks to get front row or close and ultimately ended up in a lousy spot, that's not something I like to hear. angry.gif

Hey I dig your avatar!

Thanks - that's an actual highway junction in Wisconsin, on US 18/151 out west of Madison. All the county highways there are lettered. I lived there for awhile and always used to smirk when I drove past it.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 17 2010, 04:12 AM)

1022.gif 1022.gif What a great 53rd Show Present!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif bncegrn.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (analog guy @ Aug 17 2010, 12:08 PM)
I think they actually filmed last night's show too. Maybe they are doing both with the plan obviously being to get a comp of the two.

I don't think they filmed Monday's show, considering that there wasn't a large camera boom set up like usual, but I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed the second show

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 17 2010, 12:41 PM)

The worst a woman who won a contest for the tickets,sound check, etc.  She arrived late, missed the sound check and generally knew who they were but was not a fan.

That just pisses me right the f**k off (and you know me, I don't generally swear on the board - so this must piss me off enough to say that). Seriously - let the people who are fans of the band get to meet them, go to the sound check, etc. Seriously, wtf.gif

The show was great, but it had its share of things that went wrong. Obviously the technical difficulties.

But also, there was a trainwreck about halfway through "The Camera Eye". Don't tell me nobody else noticed. I thought it was awesome to watch and hear them get back in sync, but still. Does anyone know for sure who messed up there? I was pretty sure Alex was playing it right, and Geddy messed up, and I couldn't tell who Neil was playing along with.

Next, I saw Geddy nearly fall over during a song, while he was using pedals.

Neil almost lost it during "La Villa Strangiato" on one fill, but he saved it just in time. He's good!

And my final thought for the post, was it just me or did Neil just look terrible? I think he had a rough day. He did end up looking like he was enjoying himself though. Hopefully he looks better tomorrow night after resting today and tomorrow! I'll be much closer for this show, I can't wait!

Yeah, there was an issue in The Camera Eye - it was right before the London part of the verse; somebody wanted to keep going with the main riff. Not sure who's fault it was, but I can actually kind of understand it because the arrangement was a bit weird; they were chopping a lot of things down and it was throwing everyone else off a bit too.

Also, "Virtual Aimee" was triggered late on the first chorus of TSS.

Hey Analog....

That's why my hubby won't go to a show at RR...way too many stoners, drunks, and they don't give a shit if they ruin your night or not....spilling beer, falling on top of us, flicking cig butts in our hair...

So...no RR for us as long as there are a bunch of losers that go to the shows...

I drive 8 hrs to get to there, and don't want to have my night ruined by idiots that won't remember a damn thing about the show...LOL!

Rush1

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Aug 17 2010, 03:13 PM)
But also, there was a trainwreck about halfway through "The Camera Eye". Don't tell me nobody else noticed. I thought it was awesome to watch and hear them get back in sync, but still. Does anyone know for sure who messed up there? I was pretty sure Alex was playing it right, and Geddy messed up, and I couldn't tell who Neil was playing along with.

And my final thought for the post, was it just me or did Neil just look terrible? I think he had a rough day. He did end up looking like he was enjoying himself though. Hopefully he looks better tomorrow night after resting today and tomorrow! I'll be much closer for this show, I can't wait!

The Camera Eye glitch sounded to me like Geddy coming in late and my son agrees. I'll listen to the boot again tonight and see if I can pick it out. But the recovery was quick. Neil looked grumpy early on and thought it was due to the video screw up because he was scowling at the tech when it died.

I listened to the boot all day and can't wait to see/hear them again tomorrow night. Picked up the new Prog today - awesome!

2.gif

I have to say...

This was my 23rd (?) show, and it's the first time I can remember Neil making a mistake... During The Camera Eye he started in on a part a full measure early, and for a couple of seconds there was chaos onstage. It was the closest to a train wreck I've ever seen at a Rush show.

I think there were alot of technical difficulties. It seemed like both Geddy and Alex were having monitor issues throughout the night; Alex broke a string in Time Stand Still; he was hitting the wrong chords in Marathon, and several solos were very sloppy, especially YYZ.

I love these guys, and I'm glad to see that they are human and DO make mistakes. I was surprised at how many there were this night, though, and I can't help but wonder if there was something going on behind the scenes... A little too much wine before the show maybe...?

QUOTE (Slipperypick @ Aug 17 2010, 09:16 PM)
I think there were alot of technical difficulties. It seemed like both Geddy and Alex were having monitor issues throughout the night; Alex broke a string in Time Stand Still; he was hitting the wrong chords in Marathon, and several solos were very sloppy, especially YYZ.

Now, I wouldn't say "very" sloppy. It wasn't his best night on a couple songs though. I have to say, they played 2112 better than I have EVER heard it, live or studio. They were right on.

A couple of photos. Taken from Row 18, extreme stage right.

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt313/mrose1977/Rush/subdivisions.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt313/mrose1977/Rush/band2.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt313/mrose1977/Rush/band1.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt313/mrose1977/Rush/neil1.jpg

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 17 2010, 12:41 PM)

I do agree with you here on the beer problem had people using my seat as the aisle to go in and out. Had a drunk who didn't even know where his seat was and stood in my way the whole time.

The worst a woman who won a contest for the tickets,sound check, etc. She arrived late, missed the sound check and generally knew who they were but was not a fan. Her son had no clue who the band was and texted all night. sad.gif Wish I could've brought my friends Mikey & Patty down to those seats.

As for the band, no complaints, they played a killer show. trink39.gif cheer.gif 2.gif

Sounds like you had one hell of a night. I've always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks. I've got a friend in Denver who wants me to fly out and see a show but we can never seem to get our schedules straight. Some day....

There should be a law about people winning those seats who aren't big fans or worse. I totally hear you. I don't know how many times I've seen the same thing. I know that's how it goes but come on! People win something like that and they go just to go. It makes me want to f***ing cry sometimes. Oh well....

I'm glad you had a great show. I've been trying to get back to the front row for 15 years but can't seem to get closer than 5th. There's nothing like being up front at a Rush show. A lot of deserving and loyal fans will never get that chance. A damn shame. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Aug 17 2010, 11:35 AM)
QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Aug 17 2010, 03:12 AM)

Can't wait until Wednesday  2.gif

Any more word about whether or not Wednesday's show will be taped for DVD release?

Curious minds want to know.......lol!!!!! wink.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif It sounds like you had another WONDERFUL RUSH concert experience, nobodys hero!!!!! trink39.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Srgsx @ Aug 18 2010, 08:25 AM)
The show was great although it was clear the guys were not having a great time. Even on an off night they still sound great !

I thought Alex and Geddy were fine, they seemed to have fun. Just Neil during the first half seemed a bit frustrated.

I'm sure tonight will be even more incredible, for one they should have any bugs worked out, another thing they'll be more rested, and last because I'll be 35 rows closer than a couple nights ago. laugh.gif