When Alex gets mad...

rugen

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:06 PM)
QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:16 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 18 2010, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 14 2010, 12:18 PM)
http://a.imageshack.us/img85/1619/alexstopportnoy.gif

what songs from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures have they not covered? facepalm.gif

Mike Portnoy: woa I wish rush wuz stil maken music so we cud covr mor"

Ged: we have made ten albums since moving pictures y'know..

Mike Portnoy: Thoz r not as gud, tey suk. If it not long one long song, it bad.

LOL....yeah, this pretty much hits it. Dunno how someone can be somewhat famous and STILL come off as a total poseur, but Portnoy manages. I cringe in the documentary every time I see his statement about how he lost interest with Rush after Moving Pictures. Just about everything Rush has put out since MP beats Dream Theater's best work by an order of magnitude.

Peace,

Ron

I understand where you're coming from, but how does this make him a "poseur". He likes pre-Moving Pictures, but how many people on TRF also feel that same way? Maybe there's also people who only like everything AFTER MP. Does that make them posers? Of course not, how silly! It's all opinion on what you enjoy and wha you do not.

I also disagree about later Rush being better than Dream Theater's best works. I dunno... some of DT's songs REALLY make the hair on my arm stand up. Like Portnoy, I am a bigger fan of Rush's early material, particularly their longer songs. But I enjoy ALL Rush, and can honestly listen to the three gods play their whole discography in one night, given the option. Now, because I prefer their older stuff, that makes me a poser?

Am I missing something here? confused13.gif

Come on, guys...instead of debating on the better band, let's just all enjoy the music! This is turning into a Metallica vs. Megadeth argument clone.

I wasn't saying anything about DT songs being bad (though I'm pretty sure you were just responding to Ron), I like some of their albums myself. I was just pointing out how Mike seems to worship every song pre-MP(and MP), but he hates anything post-signals (and signals). Coincidentally, Signals was the end of Rush epics.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Aug 18 2010, 08:09 PM)

I wasn't saying anything about DT songs being bad (though I'm pretty sure you were just responding to Ron), I like some of their albums myself. I was just pointing out how Mike seems to worship every song pre-MP(and MP), but he hates anything post-signals (and signals). Coincidentally, Signals was the end of Rush epics.

Yes, I was just responding to Ron. Sorry about that, I shouldn't have quoted you. It was his comments that I disagreed with.

I can see where Portnoy would be coming from. I don't know a terrible amount of DT knowledge, but based on the albums and songs I've heard, most are epic pieces and others are just pure instrumentals. This was heavily reliant on most of Rush's work from COS through Hemispheres. I'm no genious at DT, but I think Portnoy formed DT.. I could be very wrong there though. But if that is indeed the case, it's no wonder DT took a turn in that "direction".

However, Signals is indeed a favourite of mine although you could clearly see a change in direction. I think that's what Mike didn't like.

But hey, if he's getting spotted sitting in at a Rush concert (which actually happened for this tour), he's a cool guy in my book! haha

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 14 2010, 01:53 PM)
Maybe this was the show Varian went too. He's probably shouting, "ALEX! Janie and I LOOOOOOVE you!!"

http://a.imageshack.us/img180/7444/alexstop.gif

Maybe he got tired of the guy screaming "WTF happened to Jacob's Ladder???????" all night long unsure.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:06 PM)

what songs from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures have they not covered? facepalm.gif

LOL....yeah, this pretty much hits it. Dunno how someone can be somewhat famous and STILL come off as a total poseur, but Portnoy manages. I cringe in the documentary every time I see his statement about how he lost interest with Rush after Moving Pictures. Just about everything Rush has put out since MP beats Dream Theater's best work by an order of magnitude.

Peace,

Ron

I understand where you're coming from, but how does this make him a "poseur". He likes pre-Moving Pictures, but how many people on TRF also feel that same way? Maybe there's also people who only like everything AFTER MP. Does that make them posers? Of course not, how silly! It's all opinion on what you enjoy and wha you do not.

I also disagree about later Rush being better than Dream Theater's best works. I dunno... some of DT's songs REALLY make the hair on my arm stand up. Like Portnoy, I am a bigger fan of Rush's early material, particularly their longer songs. But I enjoy ALL Rush, and can honestly listen to the three gods play their whole discography in one night, given the option. Now, because I prefer their older stuff, that makes me a poser?

Come on, guys...instead of debating on the better band, let's just all enjoy the music! This is turning into a Metallica vs. Megadeth argument clone.

Have you READ some of the things Portnoy has had to say about Peart and Rush over the years? Here's an example from 2000:

...Dream Theater, Skid Row, Mr. Big and alot of the other musicians and bands involved on that tribute sell ALOT more records outside of North America than Rush does...Once you go to Europe or South America or Japan or wherever, Rush is not popular at all...

Of course, this was before Rush did go to South America and fill several 60K-seat stadiums. It's Portnoy's willingness to so prolifically criticize music that is so vastly better than anything that DT has written since about 1994 that makes Portnoy a poseur in my book. He wants his band to be the second coming of Rush so bad and seems constantly put off that they haven't made it.

Peace,

Ron

Edited by Ron2112

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Aug 19 2010, 05:20 AM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Aug 18 2010, 07:06 PM)

Peace,

Ron

Have you READ some of the things Portnoy has had to say about Peart and Rush over the years? Here's an example from 2000:

...Dream Theater, Skid Row, Mr. Big and alot of the other musicians and bands involved on that tribute sell ALOT more records outside of North America than Rush does...Once you go to Europe or South America or Japan or wherever, Rush is not popular at all...

Of course, this was before Rush did go to South America and fill several 60K-seat stadiums. It's Portnoy's willingness to so prolifically criticize music that is so vastly better than anything that DT has written since about 1994 that makes Portnoy a poseur in my book. He wants his band to be the second coming of Rush so bad and seems constantly put off that they haven't made it.

Peace,

Ron

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I see your point tongue.gif

I don't follow these kinds of things, I just listen to the music as it comes my way.

I still love DT's songs, and I respect Portnoy as a fantastic drummer, but I start to get bummed when he says that Mr. Big is better than Rush rofl3.gif

And like DT should be ones to talk about selling out large arena-wide audiences. Rush perform purely on their own and attract these audiences on a nighty basis; DT can't get this kind of seating unless they're OPENING for a band like Iron Maiden. Funny how that works eh lol.

And, just like in South America now, Rush are also EXTREMELY popular in Japan. So all of Portnoy's predictions went down the drain when he bashed a band of his that he idolized growing up. Doesn't make much sense, does it? But alas, the world turns.

QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Aug 18 2010, 11:33 AM)
This should be a Rockline question for Alex at this point.

I'll take unruly fans for $500, Alex.....

Then again, the band dosen't even remember when they last played certain songs on tour so I guess this incident is lost in the memory as well by now.

Au contraire, Geddy has said (seriously) that Alex has a very good memory, especially when remembering specific shows from their tours. I wouldn't be surprised if he remembers this incident. I forget which interview this was in, but it was fairly recent (2008 or so).

Someone on the YT page posted this comment:

"He was mad at the woman that got thrown out. She was right ahead of me. She wasn't doing anything really bad... was just walking to chat etc with some other woman in the front row who was more center. She was pretty toasted, for sure, and kept majorly bumping into another gal. The other person complained to security. Alex saw, and got Michael in the loop on it. And then she got a talking to. As soon as she forgot, and moved back to talk to the person in the center, they threw her out."

The next person posted this:

"@Chasela511 ........I was right behind that Chick .....there were ongoing problems with her throughout show......Alex even had his personal security guy come down off stage and talk to her......

The first thing he said to her was "you gotta go".....then she pleaded her case and he let her stay..."

If i was working for security at Rush's concerts, i would throught out each person who's talking during a song. A Rush concert, it's like when you are going to the church, you don't talk when the priest talk... dazed025.gif

Well, we've beaten this subject up pretty well, but just as the fervor is beginning to fade, here's one I haven't seen referenced. It's during Vital Signs (see link below). Alex can clearly be seen at 0:52 saying (my best guess) "Settle down", from right at the edge of the stage, and again at 0:59. You'll agree that he says this with authority, and to me, he's as peeved as we've all seen in the CTTH video. I was right there, row 1; and he was right in front of me. However, I must have been in a trance watching Neil at that moment. Shame on me. At 1:06, Alex has moved back to what I'll call his 'central position', and this next instance I clearly saw, but I couldn't tell what he said (to stage left personnel), but I knew it had substance at that very instant. In the video, it appears he says, "She's gone". About ten seconds later (not seen in the video, but I saw this out of the corner of my eye, to my right), a Praetorian-shirted man grabbed the perp, and dragged her out (Her being the female that has caused so much discussion). So when Alex gets mad, well, things happen!

(Side note: I've heard it was Michael Mosbach, and I've heard it was someone else removing her from row 1).

My compliments to MickAv8r, who posted this video. And, of course, I thank Rush (the band as well as all involved) for helping to make the show as enjoyable as possible. I'm so impressed that Alex managed to do all he could, while performing, to make things right.

I agree about "Settle Down" the first time, SIT Down or Sit NOW it looks like the second time, and as I posted before, when he shouts to someone offstage I'm pretty sure it's "She's drunk!". But if she was removed by the end of Vital Signs, why is Alex still mad in CTTH??? And what was she doing?? Is she the one screaming insanities at Alex during the accoustic solo??

What's up with all the crazy crowd stories this week??? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Nim2 @ Aug 14 2010, 06:20 AM)
It is clear he says "Stop. Please stop".

What was Alex pissed about though?

Indeed. He was irritated but not pissed.

I know there were a bunch of you at Red Rocks on Monday night, but from what I saw, Alex was not a happy camper when he broke a string on "Time Stand Still."

He literally stood there holding the guitar waiting for the tech to bring him another guitar and it didn't seem fast enough.

Once he obtained his other guitar he kicked it in and all was good again.

Very nice and entertaining! I would love to see Geddy's intereactions with the crowd sometimes... Edited by RUDT

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 22 2010, 01:40 AM)
QUOTE (Nim2 @ Aug 14 2010, 06:20 AM)
It is clear he says "Stop.  Please stop".

What was Alex pissed about though?

Indeed. He was irritated but not pissed.

I know there were a bunch of you at Red Rocks on Monday night, but from what I saw, Alex was not a happy camper when he broke a string on "Time Stand Still."

He literally stood there holding the guitar waiting for the tech to bring him another guitar and it didn't seem fast enough.

Once he obtained his other guitar he kicked it in and all was good again.

From what I have heard and also personally seen, Alex doesn't seem to be at all happy with his guitar tech this tour.

QUOTE (Working2112 @ Aug 14 2010, 12:03 PM)
What happened to that kid that made the Banner saying You Guys Are The Wurst with a sausage on it?  I cannot find the thread with the picture of it.

I saw the banner at the Chicago Show on 7/5 and it looked like Alex said something to him and I never saw the banner again.

That was me. I had that sign at Milwaukee and at Chicago 7/5. Alex never said anything to me. I was fourth row, and held it up a couple of times. I don't like holding up signs very long if they're blocking somebody's view. During the final song I was in the aisle and tried to step into front row but was pushed back by venue security. Somebody in front row took my sign and held it up.

A similar, though smaller, sign was confiscated from me by venue security in Wichita the other night. Rush crew thought it was funny enough that they stuck it on Alex's monitor. It said, "You Guys Are All WIENERS In My Book" and you can see it here: LINK

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Aug 22 2010, 11:58 AM)
Yeah... He wasn't too happy when his guitar kept quitting in Limelight at the Air Canada Center!!!! YIKES!!! Fire in his eyes when he looked at the tech!! angry.gif  biggrin.gif

He was seriously pissed at the ACC show, second set. He was really goofy during Tom Sawyer, then this odd feedback started. He tried switching guitars but it kept up. Then at the start of Limelight his guitar cut out entirely for much of the intro. He was livid, and stayed in a clearly foul mood for much of the Moving Pictures section. I think it was around 2112 that he started to come alive again, sort of still angry, but taking that anger and focusing it into his playing.

It should be mentioned that when this happened, Geddy stepped up BIG TIME and just started ripping on the bass, making himself more the center stage spotlight. What a professional and a showman he is!

Edited by chrxtopher