RUSHAHOLIC icon FAIL

ghostworks

I just posted my 1,501st post (yay! me) - however - that also means I've moved into 'RUSHAHOLIC' status which means my icon has changed (boo! icon).

user posted image

^ How one of the most unquestionably horrid images associated with Rush has come to be the icon for this milestone defies logic.

Is their any recourse? Can a moderator simply 'shut off' the icon in my profile (or better, rid TRF of the thing entirely?)

I'm a graphic designer by trade - I'd be happy to redesign the 'RUSHAHOLIC' icon at no cost.

Let's fix this thing!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 11 2010, 01:14 PM)
Out of curiosity, what is wrong with the image?

You can't be serious.

Rush have had their share of 'odd' album covers and associated images (Hemispheres, Signals, Presto come to mind) but Hugh Syme generally hits it out of the park.

The first and last time I expect to encounter a 'dragon' anywhere near Rush is in the song Madrigal.

The dragon/dinosaur image (in the icon) is quite base in its execution and meaning. It's not clever, it's not intriguing, it's not funny.

It's the best a 7 year old could do if asked to 'draw an animal that reminds you of a band your mom and dad listen to'.

Embarrassing.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 01:09 PM)
I just posted my 1,501st post (yay! me) - however - that also means I've moved into 'RUSHAHOLIC' status which means my icon has changed (boo! icon).

user posted image

^ How one of the most unquestionably horrid images associated with Rush has come to be the icon for this milestone defies logic.

Is their any recourse? Can a moderator simply 'shut off' the icon in my profile (or better, rid TRF of the thing entirely?)

I'm a graphic designer by trade - I'd be happy to redesign the 'RUSHAHOLIC' icon at no cost.

Let's fix this thing!

Wow. Pretentious much?

It's a partying dragon. RushAHOLIC. It's all in fun.

Sheesh. Sorry to sully your beautiful profile with it.

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 06:36 PM)
The first and last time I expect to encounter a 'dragon' anywhere near Rush is in the song Madrigal.

I take you don't like Different Strings then?

Or the One Little Victory concert clips?

Personally, I love the Dragon

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 11 2010, 01:45 PM)

user posted image

Let's fix this thing!

Wow. Pretentious much?

rofl3.gif

It's not the end of the world... wink.gif

I just can't reconcile 'Rush' and 'partying dragon' together.

The band has always had a goofy side, that's not lost on me - this is one goof that's lazy at best.

The fact that I'm a graphic designer compounds the issue - I'm predetermined to be sensitive to every color, font, layout, etc. A lazy concept paired with a pedestrian layout is as obvious (and painful) to me as a splinter under the nail.

And even if we just toss that all out ^ (who really cares whether I like dragons or design album covers) - really, let's just let that all go.

At the end of the day, the icon sucks.

Regardless of its Rush relevance, it's terrible.

I can think of at least 100 images, icons and symbols that could evoke 'RUSHAHOLIC' without ever coming within a mile of the most-hated graphic design job in the bands entire history.

Couldn't you?

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 11 2010, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 06:36 PM)

I take you don't like Different Strings then?

I told you I didn't like dragons... biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 11 2010, 01:45 PM)

user posted image

Let's fix this thing!

Wow. Pretentious much?

rofl3.gif

I just can't reconcile 'Rush' and 'partying dragon' together.

The band has always had a goofy side, that's not lost on me - this is one goof that's lazy at best.

The fact that I'm a graphic designer compounds the issue - I'm predetermined to be sensitive to every color, font, layout, etc. A lazy concept paired with a pedestrian layout is as obvious (and painful) to me as a splinter under the nail.

And even if we just toss that all out ^ (who really cares whether I like dragons or design album covers) - really, let's just let that all go.

At the end of the day, the icon sucks.

Regardless of its Rush relevance, it's terrible.

I can think of at least 100 images, icons and symbols that could evoke 'RUSHAHOLIC' without ever coming within a mile of the most-hated graphic design job in the bands entire history.

Couldn't you?

Any examples of some other Rushaholic-related Rush images? Let's see 'em. We have no plans on changing that icon, but I'd still like to see what you have in mind.

And for the record, I was never crazy about Rush adopting that whole dragon thing either, though I guess it was cool for the young kids who had Rush fans as parents -- maybe it helped those kids get into Rush too.

When we were making that icon almost six years ago, that dragon holding the drink seemed a good fit. I still think it's fine for what it is -- a post level icon. Graphic designer or not, it's just a post level icon. It's not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 11 2010, 02:31 PM)
get posting! maybe you can make it to the next level faster and then you'll be rid of the dragon confused13.gif

biggrin.gif

let's see what's in store for me:

user posted image

^ 2112 - the only Rush album that rates lower for this is RTB in my book (so - not much to look forward to there...)

user posted image

^ aha!

I'm a drummer, so I guess I'll aspire to 'PROFESSOR' - how many posts is that, again?

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 11 2010, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 11 2010, 02:23 PM)
it's just a post level icon. It's not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

LMAO!!!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 02:13 PM)

Yeah, we agree on that. smile.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Aug 11 2010, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 11 2010, 02:23 PM)
it's just a post level icon. It's not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

LMAO!!!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Aug 11 2010, 02:13 PM)

Yeah, we agree on that. smile.gif

wink.gif

Here's the thread where all the levels are listed. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=337

And I's still curious as to what other Rushaholic images you had in mind.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Aug 11 2010, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Jaye @ Aug 11 2010, 01:15 PM)
WTF, this is a joke, right?

I take offence at your anti-dragon thread. angry.gif

*Glances at Jaye's signature*

Hmm... I wonder why....

tongue.gif

wub.gif

QUOTE (Nathan @ Aug 11 2010, 08:30 PM)
I don't mind the Dragon, but I do think the grey icons look the most dated of all of them.

Silver, silver! We have bronze, silver and gold icons, yes? wink.gif

Uh, to be honest, I never really paid a lot of attention to that icon. But then I am not a graphic designer.

So what says "Rushaholic"? A photo of the band in a drunken stupor? I'm thinking that might be a little tough to find. Plenty of other bands, sure, but this is Rush.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/RUSH%20Forum/debbiedowner.gif

Downerholic.

You could just spamalot to get to the next level.

I say there's nothing wrong with Nebbish the dragon and it's a fine icon. The Rush In Rio poster that features that darned dragon has prominently hung in my previous and current home for the last 7 years, so I can say unequivocally that I'm not bias. As was once written in my high school yearbook: Let Party!

Bob Barker rates this thread:

tongue.gif

Archived