Just got back from the show

Paulio91184

I just got back from the SOLD OUT 2.gif show at Jones Beach.......all i have to say is that anyone who thinks that this setlist is bad is absolutely crazy and the business end of your crackpipe must be hot to the touch. The show was absolutely amazing, yhe playing, the visuals and everything was just great. If you are debating wether or not to go, take my word for it and go!!

This was my 12th Rush concert - best Rush concert I have ever seen by the boys - it didn't hurt sitting dead-center in the 2nd row from the stage! Edited by laxnation

Got back from the show and it was great, as usual.

But, I've noticed for the past two tours the sound has progressively gotten muddled by extreme bass, and something else I cannot put my finger on yet. Alex's guitar and Geddy's voice struggle to make it past the barrage of noise. Only during Alex's solos can you hear detail.

Now, I know what everyone will say: "Doh! it is a concert" But when I heard them at Radio City on the R30th tour, and during the S&A tour at JB, it was near perfect. I don't know maybe it's just me.

I wish they would play at Radio City again.

Btw, what is with the $6.50 bottle of water!? Did it come with a pair of sticks, or a foot rub?

I really really liked the show and agree it's up there with the best Rush concerts I've seen... and yet I somewhat agree with the guy who said the first set was inferior. It was good, but it had a few songs I'm not crazy about and it was DEFINITELY not as good as the killer second set.

Highlights for me: Moving Pictures in its entirety, "La Villa Strangiato," and "The Spirit of Radio."

QUOTE (Netboy @ Jul 25 2010, 04:19 AM)

But, I've noticed for the past two tours the sound has progressively gotten muddled by extreme bass, and something else I cannot put my finger on yet. Alex's guitar and Geddy's voice struggle to make it past the barrage of noise. Only during Alex's solos can you hear detail.

Now, I know what everyone will say: "Doh! it is a concert" But when I heard them at Radio City on the R30th tour, and during the S&A tour at JB, it was near perfect. I don't know maybe it's just me.

Btw, what is with the $6.50 bottle of water!? Did it come with a pair of sticks, or a foot rub?

The sound at Jones Beach is never good. It's muddy and undefined, and the wind coming off the water has a lot to do with that. It's a nice venue but it's a bad place to go see a loud rock concert. It's why I refuse to see any of my favorite bands there unless I can get floor seats close to the stage, which I never do because the scalpers always get those seats first and I can't afford scalper's prices.

Of course, the boys will continue to play there every tour because it's a 14,000 seat arena and they sell it out every time.

QUOTE (Netboy @ Jul 25 2010, 03:19 AM)

I've been a little disappointed with the sound for the past several tours, too. Back when they were playing arenas, I used to be able to distinctly hear each instrument, but since 2002 when they moved to summer shows in "sheds," the sound hasn't been great, in my opinion.

I was thinking it was because Geddy has been plugging into the PA instead of using amps - unless he's "soloing" on his bass, I can't hear him distinctly enough in the mix - but it could be the venue I'm going to (SPAC, Saratoga, NY). Or perhaps arenas sound better for this kind of rock than ampitheaters do?

I'm not saying the shows suck or anything. Far from it! I'm still always psyched to see my favorite band and I have a great time.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 25 2010, 05:15 AM)
QUOTE (Netboy @ Jul 25 2010, 03:19 AM)

I've been a little disappointed with the sound for the past several tours, too. Back when they were playing arenas, I used to be able to distinctly hear each instrument, but since 2002 when they moved to summer shows in "sheds," the sound hasn't been great, in my opinion.

I was thinking it was because Geddy has been plugging into the PA instead of using amps - unless he's "soloing" on his bass, I can't hear him distinctly enough in the mix - but it could be the venue I'm going to (SPAC, Saratoga, NY). Or perhaps arenas sound better for this kind of rock than ampitheaters do?

I'm not saying the shows suck or anything. Far from it! I'm still always psyched to see my favorite band and I have a great time.

Im no expert, but in my personal experience, the sound in these sheds sucks. It just does. I mainly just have our places in Philly to compare, but the sound at the arena is WAY better than the shed. Every time, without exception.

It also took about three days for my ears to stop ringing (I was up front right under one of those huge vertical hanging speakers, and not far from direct line to Alex's amps).

I guess some of it is pure volume too (someone who knows more explain) - you can during those concerts put your fingers in your ears, not all the way, and it will start to bring things down to be "clearer" - I dont know the science. Of course standing up front with your fingers in your ears isnt the best way to enjoy your favorite ban, nor impress them that youre enjoying the show smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 25 2010, 07:53 AM)
It also took about three days for my ears to stop ringing (I was up front right under one of those huge vertical hanging speakers, and not far from direct line to Alex's amps).

Funny you mention this since I bring earplugs to all concerts but for some reason, the sound (though loud) didn't seem *that* loud. But now my left ear is still fuzzy because the speakers on the left must have been closer than I thought. dazed025.gif ughhh

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 25 2010, 02:36 AM)
had a few songs I'm not crazy about

and I'd bet they are the ones that I want to see and hear.... Nothing wrong with the set in my eyes.. 1287.gif

Jones Beach is fickle.....it can either be the best or worst sounding show you've ever heard...when i saw jethro tull the sound was incredible, last night was eh.....you are right about the wind though....i like the environment there though which makes it worth it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 25 2010, 03:49 AM)
QUOTE (Netboy @ Jul 25 2010, 04:19 AM)

The sound at Jones Beach is never good. It's muddy and undefined, and the wind coming off the water has a lot to do with that. It's a nice venue but it's a bad place to go see a loud rock concert. It's why I refuse to see any of my favorite bands there unless I can get floor seats close to the stage, which I never do because the scalpers always get those seats first and I can't afford scalper's prices.

Of course, the boys will continue to play there every tour because it's a 14,000 seat arena and they sell it out every time.

Actually the sound has been terrific at all four concerts that I have seen this year at Jones Beach. Some people are just soooo stubborn.

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 25 2010, 08:33 AM)

and I'd bet they are the ones that I want to see and hear

Why would you automatically assume that?

I'm sure there are Rush songs you don't like, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion they're favorites of mine.

I hit the Jones Beach show last night & it was fantastic! I bought a ticket from a fellow forum member. We got there about 3 hours early & BBQ'd in the parking lot- great to see Rush in the summer!!

As far as the show went, honestly, the 1st set took a while to get rocking- I'd have to check the setlist again, but it was around Freewill I believe that I really started to enjoy the show. I like the other songs (every Rush song in fact), but again, for me, the show really picked up a little ways through the first set.

Highlights for me- Caravan, Marathon, The Camera Eye (fantastic!) & La Villa.

Great show overall!

As to showing up without a ticket & trying to buy one at the window, I saw a lot of dissappointed people having no success landing a halfway decent seat.

Edited by jacob's ladder

I am audio engineer who hasn't seen Rush live in decades. They've always had great sound when I saw them, and I have heard several complaints now about the sound for this tour (particularly the low end) from several different venues. This surprises me a bit because the guy who mixes them is Brad Madix. He's not a chump. Anyway, there's really no excuse for muddy or annoying bass or lack of mix clarity at this level especially when you're mixing a 3 piece. Rush has got to be one of the easiest bands to mix live. Very few live mics on stage and no monitors to worry about mucking up the FOH sound. 1 guitar. Little in the area of live vocal mics? Easy.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jul 25 2010, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (TullSkull @ Jul 25 2010, 08:33 AM)

and I'd bet they are the ones that I want to see and hear

Why would you automatically assume that?

I'm sure there are Rush songs you don't like, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion they're favorites of mine.

You are so right...

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 25 2010, 11:09 AM)
Oh. It's another one of these threads schla03.gif

Oh, its another one of those posts. sarcasm.gif

I brought this up a while ago. Im annoyed that they dont play many indoor arenas anymore. The last 2 shows I saw outside dont sound anywhere near as good as the many times I saw them indoors.

Not only that but the light show doesnt look as good either. I wish they would just do a winter tour so that they can avoid playing these outdoor places.

Since the sound is able to escape into the air, what they do is crank everything up a little more, and it results in a messy sound. Indoors they can play at a normal volume, but its loud since the sound cant escape, but it results in a much cleaner sound with even more punch to it. Miss the days when I can feel Neils bass drum in my bowels.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 25 2010, 03:33 PM)
I brought this up a while ago. Im annoyed that they dont play many indoor arenas anymore. The last 2 shows I saw outside dont sound anywhere near as good as the many times I saw them indoors.

Not only that but the light show doesnt look as good either. I wish they would just do a winter tour so that they can avoid playing these outdoor places.

Since the sound is able to escape into the air, what they do is crank everything up a little more, and it results in a messy sound. Indoors they can play at a normal volume, but its loud since the sound cant escape, but it results in a much cleaner sound with even more punch to it. Miss the days when I can feel Neils bass drum in my bowels.

The business model of sheds, I suppose, makes more sense, and Rush enjoy playing in warmer months, so there it is.. but I couldnt agree with you more - much prefer indoors, both sound quality wis, and the visual drama of being in the dark the whole time.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 25 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 25 2010, 03:33 PM)

The business model of sheds, I suppose, makes more sense, and Rush enjoy playing in warmer months, so there it is.. but I couldnt agree with you more - much prefer indoors, both sound quality wis, and the visual drama of being in the dark the whole time.

Which is why I love seeing them at Mohegan Sun. TD BankNorth Garden should sound awesome.