Caravan & Far Cry

losingit2k

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 23 2010, 10:25 AM)
part of me wanted Geddy to start yelling things like "Uhhh!" and "MOTHAFUCKA!!!!!" or "COME AWN!!!"

Hahaha, you know how awesome that would be! I'm sure no one else agrees, but I think it would be very fresh, not to mention funny. It's just good to know when these guys are still enjoying themselves, especially when they've been around so long. And if this happened, you'd KNOW Geddy at least was having fun!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 23 2010, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 10:32 PM)
Far Cry - yes, absolutely a classic

Caravan - no.gif

I feel just the opposite. laugh.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 23 2010, 03:12 PM)
part of me wanted Geddy to start yelling things like "Uhhh!" and "MOTHAFUCKA!!!!!" or "COME AWN!!!"

Hahaha, you know how awesome that would be! I'm sure no one else agrees, but I think it would be very fresh, not to mention funny. It's just good to know when these guys are still enjoying themselves, especially when they've been around so long. And if this happened, you'd KNOW Geddy at least was having fun!

Bring that Shit in! 1022.gif

I think theonly time we would ever hear Geedy say these words would be in Pratice and then strickly as a joke. It's just not his style. Rush is refined unlike most other rock bands on the scene.

They still have class. They can call you an asswhole with out actually saying the words.

cool10.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 23 2010, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 23 2010, 03:12 PM)

Bring that Shit in! 1022.gif

We gotta take the power back!! 1287.gif

While I really like all the songs mentioned so far, I think we're missing the main monkey business here --

"Classics" are not defined by a few posters here, but by a greater majority of listeners, on the scales of say, millions....

Right?

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jul 23 2010, 10:47 PM)
While I really like all the songs mentioned so far, I think we're missing the main monkey business here --

"Classics" are not defined by a few posters here, but by a greater majority of listeners, on the scales of say, millions....

Right?

Actually , I think MalNar is the classic Instrumental off Snakeand Arrows and you can throw in Hope as well. Somehow I don't think Monkeybusiness will hold up to the test of time.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jul 22 2010, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 10:11 PM)
Which brings me to the point of this thread...Far Cry and Caravan are incredible songs just like the formentioned classics! The only reason they might not be cassics is because they were not released during the PeW, MP and Signals Era. I truely believe that if they were, they would be instant classic. And we would be here begging Rush to include them in their setlist list their other major singles. Just view on these threads how the younger fans defend their beloved albums at the time they discovered Rush. To them their classics are Dreamline, Bravado, Stick it Out, Cold Fire, Test for Echo, Driven, One Little Victory Secret Touch, Far Cry, Working them Angels, Malnar (This generations YYZ) and yes even Caravan. We older fans really need to keep an open mind and allow these songs to take their natural course and become instant classics! I for oe believe Far Cry and Caravan are this generations Tom Sawyer and Freewill. What do you think?

2.gif Rules in any Era!

Comparing them to Tom Sawyer and Freewill is stretching the point a bit, but I agree that Far Cry, Caravan, and BU2B are instant classics for a simple reason: from the first time I heard them, they kept popping into my head with no provocation. Best way to define a classic I can think of.. songs that immediately get in your head and just won't leave.

My introduction to Rush was Show Don't Tell... to me another instant classic that got my Rush fanhood rolling.

Agreed! Just reading the song names caused them both to start playing....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Absolutely not. In order for a song to be a classic, many people need to know it, regardless if they are a fan of the band or not. Rush's classics would probably be:

Closer to the Heart

The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Limelight

YYZ

Outside of the circle of Rush geeks, I bet you no one has even heard of Far Cry or Caravan.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 22 2010, 09:59 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 11:32 PM)

Caravan - no.gif

Both classics.

Gary must have been idosing tonight.

laugh.gif

I love both songs!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jul 24 2010, 10:05 AM)
Absolutely not. In order for a song to be a classic, many people need to know it, regardless if they are a fan of the band or not. Rush's classics would probably be:

Closer to the Heart
The Spirit of Radio
Tom Sawyer
Limelight
YYZ

Outside of the circle of Rush geeks, I bet you no one has even heard of Far Cry or Caravan.

You been to this thread yet? Kind of ties in with what you are saying...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=58032

trink39.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 23 2010, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (Sussossus @ Jul 23 2010, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 10:32 PM)

Caravan - no.gif

I feel just the opposite. laugh.gif

yes.gif

I wholeheartedly agree.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 24 2010, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 22 2010, 09:11 PM)
I for oe believe Far Cry and Caravan are this generations Tom Sawyer and Freewill. What do you think?

I think not.

Yeah, no way. Far Cry is a GREAT song, but those are really tough songs to compare it too. The best thing I can say about Caravan in terms of historical standing is that it's better than BU2B. unsure.gif

Meh. "Classic" means what, exactly?

Popular? In who's mind? Rush fans? Pop-Culture? Music Buffs?

How far is the distance between calling a song a "Classic" and calling a band "Hall of Fame Worthy?"

All I can say is, Far Cry and Caravan are classics in my CD Player/MP3 Player/Whatever.

Caravan could be considered a classic. I've never understood the appeal of Far Cry, it's a mediocre song IMO. Sounds like a B-side off of Vapor Trails or something.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 24 2010, 03:36 PM)
Caravan could be considered a classic. I've never understood the appeal of Far Cry, it's a mediocre song IMO. Sounds like a B-side off of Vapor Trails or something.

I would argue that Far Cry is better than every song on VT put together... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2010, 06:00 PM)

I would argue that Far Cry is better than every song on VT put together... ph34r.gif

Well yeah. Playing all 13 tracks at the same time would sound awful. Maybe this explains why you don't like Vapor Trails tongue.gif

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 24 2010, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2010, 06:00 PM)

Well yeah. Playing all 13 tracks at the same time would sound awful. Maybe this explains why you don't like Vapor Trails tongue.gif

eyesre4.gif

laugh.gif

It's pretty simple really. One man's classic is another man's side B tune. Love what you love and give the rest a try. It can be suprising how a song can be ho-hum for years and then one day it just catches you right and it becomes your own instant classic.

common001.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 24 2010, 05:36 PM)

Some of us get that same feeling about Caravan. It doesnt have that epic opening song to an album that I think Rush is pretty well known for. It just sounds like a bunch of different parts slapped together to me. No great melodies, nothing in it that is appealing to me.

Now is it possible I could find a way to like it 10 years from now? Of course, and I hope I do, but the point is you are already almost willing to call it a classic, and I call it very forgettable.

So the opinions here differ greatly, its very normal with a band that has been around for a 1000 years, as Geddy likes to say. He's even said before that he doesnt understand why Tom Sawyer is their most popular song, with sort of the spoken word lyrical sections in it.

Archived