Your Favorite 3 Albums by RUSH

crazygeo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see anyone with the same exact top 3 as me sad.gif , so here goes...

1. Power Windows

2. Grace Under Pressure (though Red Lenses desperately tries to bump it down)

3. Hold Your Fire

Is my list the official "you're not a true 2.gif fan if..." list? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jul 20 2010, 04:17 PM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Runner-up: Grace Under Pressure

Yikes Silas, just the two of us then!! ohmy.gif

Yeah, I place 2112 pretty highly compared to many TRFers. The album is clearly flawed, but the title track nails me pretty much every time and that cannot be topped after those first 2 gems. Alas though our Top 5 differs with Hemi and AFTK finishing mine off sad.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 21 2010, 02:00 AM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Yeah, I place 2112 pretty highly compared to many TRFers. The album is clearly flawed, but the title track nails me pretty much every time and that cannot be topped after those first 2 gems. Alas though our Top 5 differs with Hemi and AFTK finishing mine off sad.gif

There are reasons why 2112 doesn't rate higher.

Side 1 is the obvious high point of the album. Even with that though, it's an intense song, and while I love it, it's not something I always want to listen to. It doesn't have the effortless feel of an epic like Xanadu or La Villa. You really have to think and it's a heavy, heady story. I guess all their 20 minute epics are like that - all brilliant, but a little exhausting. I find I really have to be in the mood for to take on such an intense epic work.

There's really nothing wrong with side 2 as there are no bad songs, , but it does have somewhat of a haphazard feel to the side after the big side 1 concept, and outside of Bangkok, there aren't any really obviously classic "best of" kind of songs, though all of them are great.

I guess it's a more difficult album and it doesn't flow as easily as some of the next few albums that followed. It's great, but that probably keeps it out of the top 3 for many. I rate it around 9th or so.

1. Moving Pictures

2. AFTK

3 P. Waves

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 21 2010, 04:00 AM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Yep side 1 is still is one the best things they've ever done and what made me a fan in the first place (along with CoS & the debut).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 12:43 AM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Side 1 is the obvious high point of the album. Even with that though, it's an intense song, and while I love it, it's not something I always want to listen to. It doesn't have the effortless feel of an epic like Xanadu or La Villa. You really have to think and it's a heavy, heady story. I guess all their 20 minute epics are like that - all brilliant, but a little exhausting. I find I really have to be in the mood for to take on such an intense epic work.

There's really nothing wrong with side 2 as there are no bad songs, , but it does have somewhat of a haphazard feel to the side after the big side 1 concept, and outside of Bangkok, there aren't any really obviously classic "best of" kind of songs, though all of them are great.

I guess it's a more difficult album and it doesn't flow as easily as some of the next few albums that followed. It's great, but that probably keeps it out of the top 3 for many. I rate it around 9th or so.

Thanks for taking the effort to justify. I always appreciate the differences of Rush fans, however nutty their opinions!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 21 2010, 02:43 PM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Thanks for taking the effort to justify. I always appreciate the differences of Rush fans, however nutty their opinions!! tongue.gif

Was I just given a compliment with a backhanded insult thrown in there at the end? confused13.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 10:03 AM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

Was I just given a compliment with a backhanded insult thrown in there at the end? confused13.gif tongue.gif

I always dig on your opinions Goobs...seriously!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Jul 21 2010, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 22 2010, 10:03 AM)
1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. 2112

I always dig on your opinions Goobs...seriously!! smile.gif

laugh.gif Well, thanks.

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Moving Pictures

Archived