My only problems with the Time Machine Tour

please don't get me wrong here i thought the Show was BEYOND amazing, but these are the things i didn't like

I wish Neil would stop the electronic drumming, im a drummer and i was really looking forward to Neil's solo, and yes, the solo was still great, but i wish he would of done an old neil solo. But Neil did something simular to the snakes & arrows solo, which was great for Snakes and Arrows, but this was the time machine tour, which i think should be bringing back some of Neil's old solos. In my opinion instead of Love 4 Sale, (i got on tape) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zswEZy57yGQ i wish Neil would of broke into his solo during yyz like the old times, that would of been kick ass. I stil think it was amazing, and better than any drummer i've seen live, but i wish i would of seen/heard more snare buddy rich drumming, and bonham triplets like in the R30. I didn't even see the Buddy Rich crossovers, or the Bonham. i was very suprised. The bing band thing was cool, and i realize he wanted to do the jazz thing, but i think if Neil played parts of his classic solo's like the yyz one's. it would of been a lot cooler. But anyhow, he is Neil Peart and i am honored to see his solo live, he is a Legend, so is the rest of the band, THREE ROCK LEGENDS.

next, i think Spirit of the Radio was a lousy starter song, i really wish they would of saved that song for later. This could be just me, but i wasn't really broken in yet, i was still suprised i was at the RUSH show, and before i knew it, the song was done. haha.

i'm not trying to complain here at all, because i think the show was more than its money's worth, i can't wait to see rush again, that was amazing, and the best concert i've been to.

QUOTE (Der Trommler2112 @ Jul 9 2010, 06:30 PM)
please don't get me wrong here i thought the Show was BEYOND amazing, but these are the things i didn't like

I wish Neil would stop the electronic drumming, im a drummer and i was really looking forward to Neil's solo, and yes, the solo was still great, but i wish he would of done an old neil solo. But Neil did something simular to the snakes & arrows solo, which was great for Snakes and Arrows, but this was the time machine tour, which i think should be bringing back some of Neil's old solos. In my opinion instead of Love 4 Sale, (i got on tape) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zswEZy57yGQ i wish Neil would of broke into his solo during yyz like the old times, that would of been kick ass. I stil think it was amazing, and better than any drummer i've seen live, but i wish i would of seen/heard more snare buddy rich drumming, and bonham triplets like in the R30. I didn't even see the Buddy Rich crossovers, or the Bonham. i was very suprised. The bing band thing was cool, and i realize he wanted to do the jazz thing, but i think if Neil played parts of his classic solo's like the yyz one's. it would of been a lot cooler. But anyhow, he is Neil Peart and i am honored to see his solo live, he is a Legend, so is the rest of the band, THREE ROCK LEGENDS.

next, i think Spirit of the Radio was a lousy starter song, i really wish they would of saved that song for later. This could be just me, but i wasn't really broken in yet, i was still suprised i was at the RUSH show, and before i knew it, the song was done. haha.

i'm not trying to complain here at all, because i think the show was more than its money's worth, i can't wait to see rush again, that was amazing, and the best concert i've been to.

I'm totally with you on Spirit of Radio. Why not open with Far Cry and close with Spirit?

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jul 9 2010, 11:16 PM)
The whole point of opening with a "classic" is to get the crowd riled up. Just like with Tom Sawyer on the VT tour.

For me, Spirit has always been one of my favorites, and I think this setlist needs a little punch at the end. Crowds are generally pretty fired up at the beginning of a show anyway. If they're still doing the pyro in Far Cry, they could start with a "bang".

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jul 10 2010, 05:14 AM)

I'm totally with you on Spirit of Radio. Why not open with Far Cry and close with Spirit?

I think any song is onto a loser when the gigs at an outdoor venue & it's daylight.

If it was indoor & the house lights go out & the movie starts then the first song starts & the lights go on it's a different feeling altogether.

The outdoor complaint is the ONE complaint I can honestly agree with. I saw Rush for the first time when the played the Vapor Trails tour and when that first crash symbol hits and that Moog growl kicked on from Tom Sawyer, coupled with the lights and seeing those three for the first time live was utterly breath taking. The lights are kind of anti-climatic outdoors until it gets dark.

Changing the intro is not gonna happen. Spirit ties into the intro video and they won't dump that...I agree that it should have been saved for later in the set though...Far Cry is a great intro song, Prime Mover possibly or even open up with 2112. My 2 cents...

1022.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:31 PM)
First concert had Spirit as an opener. I like it.

I liked it on the GuP tour too. smile.gif Its a great opener, IMO.. it just loses drama in the sunlight. Sure, its warm and the venues are sized properly, but Rush is and will always be an arena band with great lighting and its a shame the whole show cant be in the dark..

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 10 2010, 10:36 PM)

I liked it on the GuP tour too. smile.gif Its a great opener, IMO.. it just loses drama in the sunlight. Sure, its warm and the venues are sized properly, but Rush is and will always be an arena band with great lighting and its a shame the whole show cant be in the dark..

Good point. I have never seen Spirit in the day time. Concert hall with the lights is one of the highlights. I may stand corrected here.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 10 2010, 11:36 PM)

I suppose I'm sort of lucky that I won't be seeing them til 9/29, though I hadn't considered the lighting angle til now. That late in the year, it's getting on towards dark at 8PM.

I do agree that I was hoping for an old "YYZ type" solo but do think that TSOR was fine as an opener. They couldn't really build an opening video the way they did around a lesser known song. Did you hear the crowd reaction during the opening vid depicting different versions of TSOR? I know in Milwaukee it raised the crowd's levels of excitement in my view. Edited by syd11

i wish Neil would of broke into his solo during yyz like the old times, that would of been kick ass. I stil think it was amazing, and better than any drummer i've seen live, but i wish i would of seen/heard more snare buddy rich drumming, and bonham triplets like in the R30. I didn't even see the Buddy Rich crossovers, or the Bonham. i was very suprised. The bing band thing was cool, and i realize he wanted to do the jazz thing, but i think if Neil played parts of his classic solo's like the yyz one's. it would of been a lot cooler.

what makes you think he can still play the YYZ solo from ESL?

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler2112 @ Jul 12 2010, 10:34 PM)
Neil can still play the ESL solo because neil keeps getting better and better.

Neil is better now than he was 10-20 yrs ago.

thats is the beauty of RUSH they kept getting better, they arn't all washed up.

You are on drugs if you think Neil is a better drummer than he was 20-30 years ago. Period. You obviously are biased and believe everything he does is great...hell you even complained about the electronic solo and still complimented it.

Do yourself a favor and I mean this...tell me that this:

Doesn't own the f**k out of this crap:

QUOTE (nealpert @ Jul 12 2010, 06:43 PM)
i wish Neil would of broke into his solo during yyz like the old times, that would of been kick ass. I stil think it was amazing, and better than any drummer i've seen live, but i wish i would of seen/heard more snare buddy rich drumming, and bonham triplets like in the R30. I didn't even see the Buddy Rich crossovers, or the Bonham. i was very suprised. The bing band thing was cool, and i realize he wanted to do the jazz thing, but i think if Neil played parts of his classic solo's like the yyz one's. it would of been a lot cooler.

what makes you think he can still play the YYZ solo from ESL?

popcorn.gif

He can't. Anyone who says otherwise is on dope.

I wish Neil would stop the electronic drumming

Yes , this has been talked about forever but i agree . He really needs something new . I am sick of the electronics and i hope someone steals them before the next tour biggrin.gif

QUOTE (syd11 @ Jul 11 2010, 12:48 AM)
I do agree that I was hoping for an old "YYZ type" solo but do think that TSOR was fine as an opener. They couldn't really build an opening video the way they did around a lesser known song. Did you hear the crowd reaction during the opening vid depicting different versions of TSOR? I know in Milwaukee it raised the crowd's levels of excitement in my view.

This exactly. If they had done the intro video around Far Cry, it wouldn't have worked as well.

When the tour was first announced, everyone was talking about the setlist. One of the songs I was hoping would be dropped this time around was TSOR and then the setlist was revealed. TSOR was to be the opener. I was thinking to myself, "That sucks...." But when the opening video started, I totally forgot about the shitty opener.

I saw Alex hanging back at the side of the stage watching the video. He had a smile on his face and laughing. Like he was watching it for the first time.

I was wrong. It was one of the best openers I had ever witnessed. The entire show was awesome. The guys were in great moods and you could tell they were having a blast.

When you're sitting at home looking at the setlist on your laptop, you just seem to piss and moan about it. But when you're actually there, all that shit goes right out the window.

I was disgusted with the setlist when I first saw it. I was bitching about EVERYTHING. But when the show was over, I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. All around. I guess that's just the magic of seeing them live. I seem to forget how awesome it is when I don't see them for a couple of years.

I'm never going to bitch about the setlist again.

Well if you would just hire Rush to play for you privately, then I'm sure they would switch the opening and closing songs for you. Neil's solos are the only time he really gets to do whatever he wants, so I'd doubt you could get him to put the electronic drums away and regress into what he used to be when he was a younger, less experienced musician. So just call Ray Danniels at SRO management in Toronto and set it up.

However, if you can't afford a private show, then your best bet would likely be to just appreciate the fact that they are still alive and still coming around to entertain us. And also, consider having some realistic expectations about their setlist and how hard they work at it to attempt to make us all content while keeping them stimulated enough to keep doing it.

I am a musician, too, and as a musician i'm amazed that after all these years they still go up there and rock their asses off for our entertainment.

With that being said, I know what you're saying about his solos. It would be nice to see a non-electronic solo. I've struggled with electronic drum implementation since the mid 80's and I think they suck to use. They do open up doors to sounds not possible with ordinary acoustic drums without bringing along 8 truckloads of percussion/orchestral goodies though. I commend him for his discipline in using a hybrid (acoustic combined with electronic) drum set. It takes a lot of patience, imagination, and good old fashioned elbow-grease to pull it off...