Bands That Deliver

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Rush and Iron Maiden have always delivered the goods. I will be seeing Maiden in Pitt in a couple of weeks, and Rush in Pitt and DC in Sept. Here is the thing, some folks over at the Iron Maiden forums have their gutchies all in a bunch because Maiden is focusing on tunes from 2000 to present. Some folks here are griping because of the tune selection or how a tune is played on this tour (Rush). As I see it, both bands are putting out quality music without having to do "Greatest Hits Tours." Be thankful your favorite band is still turning the wheels and delivering quality. Lastly, any person attending the shows is a fan in my book. 2.gif

QUOTE (longhorn90 @ Jul 2 2010, 11:19 PM)
Not sure if this thread title is appropriate as most comments have been around which bands play a diversified setlist. The way I personally interpret the thread to mean is which bands deliver a consistent and impressive concert. My votes would go for KISS, Rush, Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Heaven and Hell and Tool. I've seen hundreds of shows and these bands tend to bring it everytime.

Aerosmith, really? I've seen them 5 times and have yet to hear a song played the same twice. And that's not a compliment in any way. The setlists were basically the same just in different order. And the shows were short, 2 hrs. max, maybe 15-16 songs.

QUOTE (longhorn90 @ Jul 2 2010, 11:19 PM)
Not sure if this thread title is appropriate as most comments have been around which bands play a diversified setlist. The way I personally interpret the thread to mean is which bands deliver a consistent and impressive concert. My votes would go for KISS, Rush, Aerosmith, Queens of the Stone Age, Mastodon, Iron Maiden, Heaven and Hell and Tool. I've seen hundreds of shows and these bands tend to bring it everytime.

As the originator of this thread, I am happy to clarify. These two lines are pretty clear:

I want to know who you have seen that really delivered in terms of the setlist. What bands have you seen that dug deep into the catalog and played pretty much everything you wanted to hear?

A lot of bands are great live bands. There aren't a lot of bands that consistently dig deep into the catalog and play the stuff you really want to hear. That was the root of the question. There has been so much chatter in here lately about the TM setlist, I'm just curious to get opinions on what bands not only dig deep, but also play the stuff you want to hear.

Pearl Jam is pretty good about keeping the staples in there, other bands (like Phish) are not. Phish will mix it up more than anyone, but some of the setlists will have virtually nothing that I'm just dying to hear.

I understood the meaning of the thread/question. I will clarify my answer. IMO, concerts went from:

Hello, we are (insert name of band here), come out and see what we offer

to

Hello, I am a fan and I pay your salary. Play the songs I want to hear or I say "you suck."

In sum, any time a band that I want to see live hits the stage, they are delivering the goods.

Thank you.

RUSH is a given

Metallica ...never seen a bad show

Megadeth...they are the Rush of metal. That is: outstanding musicians that are generally brushed aside by the masses

Iron Maiden is great too but Janick Gers is just a 5th wheel now that Adrian is back. IMO, Janick's antics take away from what could be considered phenomenal. He's just out of place. More like a court jester. Seems more fit for a Spinal Tap show.

U2 always brings it too

Also, Coldplay. I went to my first show without any expectations and they just blew me away. Saw them indoors and out. The indoor show was better just because of the ability to do the entire production which was limited outdoors due to the lower tent roof line. The music itself was very well played. I highly recommend seeing Coldplay live if you even remotely enjoy their music.

I saw Steve Miller back around '89, and his set list was excellent. He played all the hits, and some more obscure songs in very high quality. Phish always put on a good show. They are an incredible live band. YES is another band that truly delivered when I saw them. Midnight Oil too.

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Jul 3 2010, 10:34 AM)
I understood the meaning of the thread/question.  I will clarify my answer.  IMO, concerts went from:

Hello, we are (insert name of band here), come out and see what we offer

to

Hello, I am a fan and I pay your salary. Play the songs I want to hear or I say "you suck."

In sum, any time a band that I want to see live hits the stage, they are delivering the goods.

Thank you.

Now I'm more confused. Which side of that are you on? Are you saying that anytime a band plays live and if they play well, you don't care about the setlist? If so, I know that you are not alone in feeling that way. When my wife and I go to Pearl Jam shows she doesn't care what they play, and I'm always saying "I hope we get to hear so-and-so tonight." Thankfully, they dig deep enough that if you see them enough times, you'll eventually hear most of your favorites, although, oddly enough, one of my favorites, "All Those Yesterdays" is a song that I don't think they've ever played live.

Funny thing, too. I used to be more inclined to think that a band could just play whatever it wanted to when it played live, but now I think that may be better suited for the albums. Running my own business and seeing how hard it is to make a buck has changed my mind about some things. People make a lot of sacrifices to see bands play, and now I wonder if bands shouldn't listen to their fans a little more. I know that I have to in my business. If I stop listening to my clients and stop giving them what they want, they will stop giving me their money.

Edited by amish_ashaman

Almost forgot...I saw Jerry Jeff Walker a few years ago and he killed it. He was rehabbing from a surgery and hat to sit for most of the show, and he still killed it. He played "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" twice. This kid came in down front and started requesting it. JJ said "Damn, son, I just played it 15 minutes ago." The kid yelled back "I just got off work. I got here as soon as I could." JJ said "Oh hell, let's play it again." It was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Have to agree with all those who have said Yes - Phenomenal every single time!!

The best show I ever saw was a Genesis show back in 1985. But I have seen them and Phil Collins (solo) many times and it always delivered.

Recently Porcupine Tree really impressed me.

One surprise was John Mellancamp. I was not really a fan of his but a friend offered me free tickets and even though I have seen countless live shows, I was throughly impressed.

I am going to see Asia next month - It's not Yes but at least I can watch Steve Howe - and I have never been able to see Carl Palmer live yet.

Of the bands i've seen multiple times, I have to agree with other folk on here with regards Yes and Muse both have been awesome every time i've seen them live !!

and

the other band for me that i've seen a lot are Duran Duran, always look as if they are having a ball when up on stage !!

QUOTE (Wilderness_of_Mirrors @ Jul 3 2010, 10:34 PM)
well, i now know Rush STILL delivers, because
the Time Machine Tour is now ofiicially......M E T A L

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/PermanantWaves/Picture3-1.png
1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Oh shi-

QUOTE (Syrinx Priest @ Jul 3 2010, 05:44 PM)
Have to agree with all those who have said Yes - Phenomenal every single time!!

The best show I ever saw was a Genesis show back in 1985. But I have seen them and Phil Collins (solo) many times and it always delivered.

Recently Porcupine Tree really impressed me.

One surprise was John Mellancamp. I was not really a fan of his but a friend offered me free tickets and even though I have seen countless live shows, I was throughly impressed.

I am going to see Asia next month - It's not Yes but at least I can watch Steve Howe - and I have never been able to see Carl Palmer live yet.

Have you heard anything about the Asia shows? A friend of mine saw them recently and told me a couple of things.

Iron Maiden is an interesting live act, who almost always delivers in terms of performance. From the boots I hear, the only time IM disappointed was in 1993, when Bruce was on his way out and pretty much half-assed it.

In terms of their sets, IM has two types. There is the album-oriented setlist, with a lot of focus on the new material and not much in the way of adventure in the back catelogue, with the standards getting the play. On the other hand, their are their GH tours, which almost always provide something interesting.

Metallica is usually pretty good with their sets, and they've been mixing things up quite nicely on the last two tours, although both have had some structure.

One band not mentioned is Dream Theater, who usually have a different set every night. The recent exception is their current tour with Maiden, which has limited their flexibility. Still, when they've headlined, or even co-headlined, they've almost always brought an interesting setlist, which can even include a cover or two (or even an entire album if they have an "evening with" tour.