Mike Portnoy at KC show

OldRod

QUOTE (StevesRush @ Jul 2 2010, 01:13 AM)
Here's the pic guys. My 2 favorite drumheroes.

Steve

Quote MP:
"Not only is Neil Peart an exceptional drummer and an inspirational human being, he is an incredibly gracious host! A big thank you to Bubba for his generous hospitality and the royal treatment he gave to me and Marlene at Rush's show tonight in Kansas City...I am humbled to have developed a friendship with one of my childhood heroes..."

http://i49.tinypic.com/29p45r5.jpg

oh I see how Neil is, he only gives his attention to celebrities.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:31 PM)

Steve

Quote MP:
"Not only is Neil Peart an exceptional drummer and an inspirational human being, he is an incredibly gracious host! A big thank you to Bubba for his generous hospitality and the royal treatment he gave to me and Marlene at Rush's show tonight in Kansas City...I am humbled to have developed a friendship with one of my childhood heroes..."

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

So, all I have to do is get famous, and then I'm in the circle of trust.

yes.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jul 2 2010, 08:51 AM)
I'm happy for Mike.  I can only imagine how cool it is to actually have become friends with your childhood idol.

Did he mention if Neil let him play on his kit?

Hehe, I would NOT put any money on that one. MP is a very hard playing drummer, he would beat that set up in a short time, why risk the wear and tear?

And you think Neil babies his drums? He pounds them pretty hard, too.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 09:57 AM)
I'm happy for Mike.  I can only imagine how cool it is to actually have become friends with your childhood idol.

Did he mention if Neil let him play on his kit?

Hehe, I would NOT put any money on that one. MP is a very hard playing drummer, he would beat that set up in a short time, why risk the wear and tear?

Someone needs to plug that leak before the rest drips out. atickhum.gif doh.gif

Good stuff...

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

...so MP went to the Kansas city gig because Maiden are on a few days break and he took the opportunity to check out the latest Rush gig? Cool... I was wondering what the hell he was doing in KC...

laugh.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 2 2010, 03:33 PM)
Isn't this Mike guy just a Peart emulator?? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

No, not really, his drumming doesn't really sound much like Neil's, he just happens to be a a very visible Rush fan and comparisons are made as a result...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 2 2010, 03:56 PM)

No, not really, his drumming doesn't really sound much like Neil's, he just happens to be a a very visible Rush fan and comparisons are made as a result...

Thanks Treeduck smile.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 2 2010, 12:34 PM)

Steve

Quote MP:

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

yes.gif

Apparently that didn't work too well for Tim from Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave. cool.gif

I actually spent an afternoon hanging out with Tim when I worked for Sony Music. I had to drive him to the airport and we had a few hours to kill. I mentioned to him that I was a big Genesis fan and he told me he was a big Rush fan in high school. I had a Rush mix CD I made in the car and we spent quite a bit of time driving around listening to that CD. He told me for the Renegades album Rage recorded a version of Working Man with Zak singing EZ-E lyrics over the music but it didn't make the record. He also told me while they were rehearsing for the Audioslave album that Chris Cornell came in and mentioned that some band down the hall was playing Cygnus X-1. Tim called Chris out for being a Rush fan because no casual person would know that. It wasn't too much of a surprise when Audioslave played Working Man as an encore the first time I saw them. It was cool seeing Tim in the Rush movie.

Sorry got off topic there but thought I would share that.

QUOTE (spacement @ Jul 2 2010, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 2 2010, 12:34 PM)

Steve

Quote MP:

laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

yes.gif

Apparently that didn't work too well for Tim from Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave. cool.gif

I actually spent an afternoon hanging out with Tim when I worked for Sony Music. I had to drive him to the airport and we had a few hours to kill. I mentioned to him that I was a big Genesis fan and he told me he was a big Rush fan in high school. I had a Rush mix CD I made in the car and we spent quite a bit of time driving around listening to that CD. He told me for the Renegades album Rage recorded a version of Working Man with Zak singing EZ-E lyrics over the music but it didn't make the record. He also told me while they were rehearsing for the Audioslave album that Chris Cornell came in and mentioned that some band down the hall was playing Cygnus X-1. Tim called Chris out for being a Rush fan because no casual person would know that. It wasn't too much of a surprise when Audioslave played Working Man as an encore the first time I saw them. It was cool seeing Tim in the Rush movie.

Sorry got off topic there but thought I would share that.

Tim said he got thrown out when he tried to meet Neil, but he didnt say if he was famous at that time.

Rage Against The Machine got big in the early 90's, maybe he had that chance to meet Neil before then. Neil does seem to give some time to other celebrity musicians, so if he heard that the bassist from Rage wanted to meet him, I really cannot imagine Neil calling security on him like Tim said.

Im guessing that was before Neil knew who they were.

Not really. Portnoy sounds like a combination of many of his favorite drummers, Peart being one of them, rather than sounding like any one single drummer. Portnoy is admittedly not much of a technical drummer, and he admits to almost never practicing; he just gets back there and bashes away. And he usually does a really good job, although he can sound sloppy at times.

QUOTE (tangy @ Jul 4 2010, 08:00 PM)
^^^ It seems MP did get to play Neils drums...........

http://www.facebook.com/mikeportnoyofficial

OK OK...because so many of you inquiring minds wanna know...Neil did let me play his kit...and it was awesome! : )

You beat me to it tongue.gif

I'm happy for Mike. I can only imagine how cool it is to actually have become friends with your childhood idol.

It must be a great experience