What Happened to Jacob's Ladder?

Bluefish

QUOTE (Bluefish @ Jun 30 2010, 10:40 AM)
I like the set list, but Alex said they would play it live. I wonder why it was not included. I hope it's rotated in. It's one of my favorites.

Probably dumped it after he talked about it, or he didnt know what he was talking about in that interview.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 30 2010, 10:42 AM)
They decided not to play it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/c_laugh3.gif

Good answer...short and to the point.

Have to admit, though, my excitement over the tour went up several notches when Alex mentioned playing JL. So it's disappointing they didn't play it. But...there's always next year.

With it being a longer tune and with so much of the set devoted to playing MP, they may have decided to shelve JL until next year...when they play all of Permanent Waves! (just kidding...maybe?)

Not only are they not going to play it, they're going to come to all of our houses, take away our copies of Permanent Waves, and Alex will scream "GET OVER IT!". Then Neil will yell "GET AWAY FROM ME!" at you. Then Geddy hits you with a haggis. For some reason.

Jacobs Ladder is perhaps one of my all time favorite tunes. I too also thought they were playing it after reading Alex being quoted saying they are bringing it back.

Sigh.

Well they are not playing it again. And yes for at least this 30 plus year fan it is a letdown. Then again I have been pining for this song for 27 years.

Was I upset last night? Yeah of course...but am I pissed? Naaaaa I am over it.

THE SETLIST IS AWESOME!!!!

I am so pumped for this tour. And from what I heard last night they were on fire and The Camera Eye exceeded expectations. So did the new songs, Marathon, TSS, Presto, Faithless.

We are getting a great setlist.

Now the only thing they need to do is rotate out Stick it Out. cool.gif

Alex said they were rehearsing it but I perhaps it wasn't working for them? Perhaps they are saving it for the 2011 tour?

I mean, really, he didn't say the exact words "This song is definitely being played no matter what!"

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 30 2010, 10:56 AM)
And from what I heard last night they were on fire and The Camera Eye exceeded expectations. So did the new songs, Marathon, TSS, Presto, Faithless.

I was excited to see Presto in the list. I've always thought that was a great tune and would be excellent live, either in it's original form or maybe as an acoustic number. Also looking forward to seeing Marathon again, after 20+ years.

Not as enthusiastic about Stick It Out and Faithless, but even the "worst" Rush is way, way, way better than just about anyone else's best.

It's a pretty straightforward tune with pretty light vocals, giving Geddy a rest. Would seem like a natural to play.

I can't imagine a reason why the boys wouldn't be able to "pull it off".

Mu hunch is we see it in 2011. I bet everything but Limelight and Tom Sawyer will be dropped from this tour off MP, so replace it with a bunch of Clockwork Anges songs and Jacob's Ladder

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 30 2010, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 30 2010, 10:56 AM)
And from what I heard last night they were on fire and The Camera Eye exceeded expectations. So did the new songs, Marathon, TSS, Presto, Faithless.

I was excited to see Presto in the list. I've always thought that was a great tune and would be excellent live, either in it's original form or maybe as an acoustic number. Also looking forward to seeing Marathon again, after 20+ years.

Not as enthusiastic about Stick It Out and Faithless, but even the "worst" Rush is way, way, way better than just about anyone else's best.

I dont know, Rush's worst is pretty bad at times. I can name about 6000 bands id rather listen to than listen to Speed of Love, Rivendell, Dog Years, Everyday Glory, Tai Shan, half of snakes and arrows, etc...................

Well then. If you are going to be a JL 'tease' and not show up to the party with it: AT THE VERY LEAST....release a deluxe version of Exit...STage Left DVD on BLU RAY with some extra songs to alleviate our fix!!! beathorse.gif

My guess also is that they are saving Jacob's Ladder for next year once the Moving Pictures gimmick is dropped. And probably Presto, etc... replaced by some other "new oldies".

If not, well, maybe when the other 2 decide to hang it up, Alex will form a band to finally play all his favorite old songs. I get the feeling only Alex is in the older tunes and is the one trying to bring them back all the time.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 30 2010, 12:00 PM)
Alex said they were rehearsing it but I perhaps it wasn't working for them?  Perhaps they are saving it for the 2011 tour?

I mean, really, he didn't say the exact words "This song is definitely being played no matter what!"

That's my guess. It's generally been the case that the band has to be 100% happy with any given song in rehearsals, or it gets struck from the setlist. (Happened in the past with TCE).

From what I remember, they were going to try to rework it a little and it sounded like they were looking for ways to make it a titch shorter. Perhaps they just couldn't come up with anything they felt sounded decent.

Edited by Mara

Could be! 'Lerxt and the Monotones presents: MY FAVORITE RUSH!'

On the other hand, NOBODY can predict the future and I'm reading way too many 'next year' or 'next tour' posts. Anything can happen, but in the twilight of ones life we are all presented with various curveballs. I work in a hospital and unfortunately see many curveballs sad.gif

When I went overboard in buying really, REALLY close seats, it was with the intention that I may never see them again. You just never know when they will hang it up as a '3'. They don't need to tour, but it is nice to know that they are enjoying it for the moment. I'm just sayin', too many people throw stock in them playing every year or two for decades to come. They are approaching their 40th year AS A BAND. Bless them for still doing what they love....and being ABLE to. Although, if any of them came one here (or other fan sites) and read the boo-birds posts with varying degrees of negativity ("weak" "sucks" "terrible" etc), maybe they will decide to give us a biiig break! wacko.gif

Just remember guys, there are plenty of us that love anything you play and any setlist that includes RUSH is a good setlist by me. This is the Time Maching Tour, not the Jukebox Tour where disgruntled 'fans' demand their favorite song be played or else they'll bash you. soooooo, flame away if you like

I absolutely agree that JL would have been awesome to hear live. I also never got to hear The Pass live and was really hoping it would be on this set list. angry.gif But the majority of it is awesome so I am very much looking forward to Tampa! laugh.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Jun 30 2010, 10:48 AM)
With it being a longer tune and with so much of the set devoted to playing MP, they may have decided to shelve JL until next year...when they play all of Permanent Waves! (just kidding...maybe?)

I wouldn't get your hopes up. About playing the whole album, I mean. They basically already did that on the Snakes and Arrows tour; the only two songs we didn't get were JL and Different Strings, which they've never played live.

That's not to say that they won't, I just won't hold my breath for it. As for Jacob's Ladder later on next year... I would say that is completely possible.

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jun 30 2010, 12:43 PM)
My guess too that they'll play it next year. Just a guess, though.

And I'll be crossing my fingers until then. smile.gif

And there is the most important point. We can hope for next year because we are getting another album and tour.

That is a beautiful thing.

So guy's if you happen to somehow stumble upon this thread (yeah right).

Play the f***ing song for us already. laugh.gif

QUOTE (coolcool23 @ Jun 30 2010, 01:09 PM)

I wouldn't get your hopes up. About playing the whole album, I mean. They basically already did that on the Snakes and Arrows tour; the only two songs we didn't get were JL and Different Strings, which they've never played live.

That's not to say that they won't, I just won't hold my breath for it. As for Jacob's Ladder later on next year... I would say that is completely possible.

They've played Jacob's Ladder live. It's on Exit...Stage Left.

I wonder if anyone on here really has the stones to tell them the setlist kinda sucks if they actually met them, perhaps at the pre-show meet and great. I'm guessing...ummm no. tongue.gif

I haven't heard this much whining and griping since I was married to my ex. rage.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2010, 12:02 PM)
I wasnt bummed at all to hear it wasnt in the setlist. Its one of those songs they do sometimes where there's not many lyrics in it. Not crazy about songs like that.

Yeah there are less lyrics because they had to make room for all the kickass music laugh.gif

QUOTE (Bluefish @ Jun 30 2010, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (coolcool23 @ Jun 30 2010, 01:09 PM)

They've played Jacob's Ladder live. It's on Exit...Stage Left.

I'm sure he was only referring to Different Strings