Katy Perry

Tick

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 24 2010, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 02:55 PM)
Why are so many swigging off the bottle of duh?

This is about Rush being relevant and cool in 2010, nothing more, nothing less. If your too simpleton to get that, continue to polish off the bottle. atickhum.gif

oh and its not as if the song was performed live on you tube a couple of hours ago, so I don't think I downloaded it off her live streaming wave of success. tongue.gif

and it was cool, period.

C'mon tick, admit you're a Katie Perry fanboi! rofl3.gif

Seriously, people are awfully touchy on this part of the board lately. I haven't been immune to it either; what's up with this? We can't seem to get too many threads going lately without some kind of argument resulting. confused13.gif

I would be her fan boy dressed in Grape leaves. atickhum.gif

Katy Perry is smokin hot! laugh.gif

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 02:05 PM)

This is about Rush being relevant and cool in 2010, nothing more, nothing less. If your too simpleton to get that, continue to polish off the bottle. atickhum.gif

oh and its not as if the song was performed live on you tube a couple of hours ago, so I don't think I downloaded it off her live streaming wave of success. tongue.gif

and it was cool, period.

Seriously, people are awfully touchy on this part of the board lately. I haven't been immune to it either; what's up with this? We can't seem to get too many threads going lately without some kind of argument resulting. confused13.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/thumbs_up_.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 02:05 PM)

and it was cool, period.

Tick, that alien Rush is awesome! laugh.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 24 2010, 03:05 PM)
Whoops, I just realized she also does that "Hot N Cold" song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75mry1LcFg

I do kind of hate that song. tongue.gif

No one is saying Katy Perry is any good as an artist, just that its cool her band ended a song with Cygnusx1. Its not about anything more than that. atickhum.gif

Rush fans can be so over serious, and a little touchy about silly things. Relax... cool10.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jun 24 2010, 01:55 PM)
Jeez, tough room. angry.gif  It's just a few second snippet at the end of a song, surely nothing to get pissed off about?  I doubt if 5% of that crowd even realized that was Rush. 

I think the Cygnus "teaser" riff is fairly common among musicians.  We used to do it occasionally in my cover band along with a teaser TSOR ending.

And sure, she's no Christina Aguilera (voice-wise), but Geddy's no Enricho Caruso either. tongue.gif  Actually, I'd guess that most younger folks these days can probably relate more to her singing than to Geddy's.

You think 5% of them knew what that was? If they started playing Tom Sawyer, im not sure 5% of that crowd would know what that was.

Not sure if this applies to anyone else, but the only reason it bothered me is because it mixed something I love with something I hate. For instance, I hate the video for 'The Enemy Within' because I have a terrible fear of spiders, but love Rush. If that makes sense?

QUOTE (peoplecanteatmachinefood @ Jun 24 2010, 01:14 PM)
Know what's funny? Katy Perry fans will discover Cygnus X-1 and think Rush stole the riff from her band.

Yup just like all the people who asked David Bowie why he was doing Vanilla Ice covers. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 03:23 PM)
Not sure if this applies to anyone else, but the only reason it bothered me is because it mixed something I love with something I hate. For instance, I hate the video for 'The Enemy Within' because I have a terrible fear of spiders, but love Rush. If that makes sense?

I completely understand. It's as if something you hate DARED to trespass into the territory of something you love. Like you're afraid that The Thing That Is Hated will somehow corrupt the sanctity of the that which you love.

Well, tick, you're right about the "mind being blown part". I had NO clue she was this God awful until this video. My mind was certainly blown! wink.gif laugh.gif BTW, yes - the X-1 thing is cool....MUCH better than the train wreck in front of it.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Jun 24 2010, 03:23 PM)

How about looking at it this way: In this day and age of soulless pop music dominated by auto-tuned vocals and looped annoying melodies, isn't it cool that one of those pop stars not only sings for real in her shows (despite the fact that she's not Mariah Carey), but also has a band that gives props to the old school masters? Why not appreciate the respect they gave Rush, and applaud the fact that they gave that young audience something to think about musically as they walked out of that show?

It's easy to complain about all the current no-talent musical acts "not getting it" about real music. Here's one that does. Why complain about that?

My kid was watching her Unplugged special awhile back and I watched with along mostly to hear how terrible she was without all the extra production from her albums. I was wrong. She has a great voice, and is a good writer. I actually enjoyed her songs that she was performing on that special.

Give it a try...

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jun 24 2010, 11:22 AM)
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6870/1252003983katy.jpg

That's Kati Perry?

Nice!

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 04:09 PM)
The following is my take on Rush nerds. Enjoy! atickhum.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpl7CQFBNYc

Why don't you make your own tick movie about it? wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 24 2010, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 04:09 PM)
The following is my take on Rush nerds. Enjoy! atickhum.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpl7CQFBNYc

Why don't you make your own tick movie about it? wink.gif

Well, if you insist. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2010, 04:29 PM)
I'm still not impressed...

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

with the post above yours? confused13.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 24 2010, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 24 2010, 04:29 PM)
I'm still not impressed...

new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

with the post above yours? confused13.gif

No, I didn't read that...did you put anything worth a look?

unsure.gif

Metallica's appreciation for the Avril Lavigne cover of their song "Fuel" was called one of the most "Un-Metal" moments in Rock History. But we're supposed to all appreciate Katy Perry's homage to Rush???? At least Lavigne was somewhat rockin'.

Just sayin'.

Archived