Geddy's Voice

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great if technology could fix this. For example, if Geddy sang the song an octave lower, an effect that would transpose it to an octave higher, yet keeping all of the same elements of his voice. If it sounded realistic, it could work. There is enough technology out there to do this in real time. Even if he had help from an effect, just seeing him live and hitting those high notes would be killer.

there was a spine-tingling moment during Witch Hunt in 07 at my show when Geddy hit the "ohhhhh" note just as the synth kicks in. He held it so perfectly I thought I was transported back to 1981 for a second.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:42 PM)
there was a spine-tingling moment during Witch Hunt in 07 at my show when Geddy hit the "ohhhhh" note just as the synth kicks in. He held it so perfectly I thought I was transported back to 1981 for a second.

Yes, but that note isn't one of his higher ones biggrin.gif.

It seems to me, watching Rio, R30 and S&A Live in succession, that Geddy's voice is still very capable, even "Circumstances" a step down, like in S&A Live, singing-wise, is no walk in the park and it also seems the bridge in "Freewill" has gotten better with age. Point being, I think they can play whatever song they want as long as Geddy knows he won't burn his voice out on it mid-tour

QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:52 PM)

It seems to me, watching Rio, R30 and S&A Live in succession, that Geddy's voice is still very capable, even "Circumstances" a step down, like in S&A Live, singing-wise, is no walk in the park and it also seems the bridge in "Freewill" has gotten better with age. Point being, I think they can play whatever song they want as long as Geddy knows he won't burn his voice out on it mid-tour

yeah but I've noticed his voice always sounds a lot better in person than it does on the live DVDs. I think it's because I usually see them early in the tour, while the live DVDs are recorded towards the end when his voice is worn out. If you see them earlier in the tour, Geddy's voice still kicks ass.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (Jake2112 @ Jun 18 2010, 05:52 PM)

yeah but I've noticed his voice always sounds a lot better in person than it does on the live DVDs. I think it's because I usually see them early in the tour, while the live DVDs are recorded towards the end when his voice is worn out. If you see them earlier in the tour, Geddy's voice still kicks ass.

I agree, I still think it's very good, but does anyone notice the drastic change in voice from R30 to S&A Live? He seems to be singing with a deeper timbre rather than the usual Geddy Lee timbre

QUOTE (Alex @ Jun 18 2010, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 18 2010, 08:09 AM)
And what happens when Ged's voice craps out after five shows?

LOL

Geddy:

Show 6: we are the- k f**k this.

laugh.gif

Really good point, though, Mara....my range has changed quite a bit in the past 10 years, and I can't sing some of the songs I used to not just because they're too high for me...a simple key change would help that -- but by dropping it a step or even a half step, now the lower range of the vocals is too LOW for me - it's all about your comfort range when you're singing, if it stretches it, you'll blow your vocals out. I've done it...

Edited by LakesideMaiden

QUOTE (tick @ Jun 18 2010, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 18 2010, 03:21 PM)
Personally I don't care about anything Rush - COS, none of that material was that great anyway. I'm happy with the occasional By-Tor.

Exactly the way I feel. By-Tor is a great song, but that's about it. Everything else is your standard Zeppelin rock song. In the End just screams Zeppelin. Come to think of it, 2112 isn't even that great of an album.

No, your wrong on one thing. 2112 is an amazing album. It is landmark, and it was ahead of its time. It redefined an entire genre of music. atickhum.gif

couldn't have said it better.

Couldn't he just sing some stuff an octave down, or otherwise improvise or do spoken word or something... or even let the audience sing a couple of lines?

Instrumentals work too... the R30 medley gives me goosebumps even though there's no singing in it. You could just about do Hemi Prelude that way.

QUOTE (analog guy @ Jun 18 2010, 11:13 PM)
. . . or otherwise improvise or do spoken word or something... or even let the audience sing a couple of lines?

Oh jeebus. . .I don't want to even consider those ideas for very long, because I'm going to get nauseous and want to go hide in a dark corner.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jun 18 2010, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jun 18 2010, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 04:38 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jun 18 2010, 03:21 PM)
Personally I don't care about anything Rush - COS, none of that material was that great anyway. I'm happy with the occasional By-Tor.

Exactly the way I feel. By-Tor is a great song, but that's about it. Everything else is your standard Zeppelin rock song. In the End just screams Zeppelin. Come to think of it, 2112 isn't even that great of an album.

No, your wrong on one thing. 2112 is an amazing album. It is landmark, and it was ahead of its time. It redefined an entire genre of music. atickhum.gif

Haha yeah I guess so, but I wasn't born then, so I can't say tongue.gif

Today, when I listen to it, I hear a great (not spectacular) first side, and then some average songs on the second. Something for Nothing and Bangkok are fine songs, but Tears, Lessons, and Twilight seem to fall short for me.

Heh, I pretty much feel the same about 2112. Side two is why I don't see it as a "great" album, it's hit-and-miss.

Maybe it's me, but I fail to see how it "redefined an entire genre of music". Can anyone else chip in and give me an answer as to what genre it redefined?

Progressive rock. There were many bands at the time that were writing songs within the 8-12 minute range, and record companies weren't signing them on, and radio stations wouldn't play them. Rush purposely created the first side of the album, as a direct hit at the record companies for not pomoting longer, and vividly detailed song structures. This, to me, is what makes them "redefine the genre" although I don't know how other people take it when they say "redefine".

This is the album that made Rush, "Rush", and what separated fans of previous Rush material into either hardcore fans or turned them off altogether, unless of course you include Caress of Steel. What you're basically left with afterwards is an intensely loyal and commited fanbase, and the rest all go "ewww, I never really liked those guys!"

My mom and dad are good examples of this. My dad cites 2112 as his favourite album, and my mom has said that she hated that album (and the couple directly after it), and stopped listening to them because of it.

Edited by Hemispheres89

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jun 18 2010, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jun 18 2010, 03:49 PM)

Today, when I listen to it, I hear a great (not spectacular) first side

Not spectatcular? fing.gif

That's what I said laugh.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jun 18 2010, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 18 2010, 01:43 AM)
All of this talk about how Geddy's voice has changed and he can't sing the old stuff anymore really gets under my skin. Why not just do the damn songs anyway? Surely they could make it work. It seems simple, really. Just rehearse it, and if it doesn't sound right, make adjustments. Geddy isn't the only singer whose voice has changed over the years, but I don't hear other bands talking about it. Hell, some bands have had singers die or leave the band and other guys sing the stuff. Is it the same? No. Does it still kick ass to hear it live? Absolutely. I've seen Iron Maiden without Bruce (Blaze Bailey) and they still kicked ass. Robert Plant still sings Led Zeppelin songs in the shows for his various projects (like the tour with Allison Krauss---they killed it on Black Dog, Battle of Evermore and When the Levee Breaks). Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend have got to be pushing 70 and they still do the old stuff. I saw the Dead after Jerry died and Bobby and Phil just sang the songs. BFD. I'm not alone in wanting to hear some old songs live. They ought to just play the stuff and quit worrying about if it sounds perfect or not.

I have heard recent performances of a lot of those bands you mentioned and I disagree with you...they sound like sh!t.

Did you SEE The Who's performance at The Super Bowl? Brutal....

The difference between Rush and a band like The Who, or Rolling Stones, or even Grateful Dead, is Rush still rocks and outs on an incredibly high quality show. They know a song like Cygnus, Bastille Day, By-Tor would not sound right or do them justice

Those shows all sounded fine to me. I'm not terribly picky about vocals, though (I mean, I like Bob Dylan!). I just want to hear the stuff that got me into the band in the first place.

2112 was the first Rush I heard, but I listened to everything on FBN through Hemispheres every day for a long time. My desire to hear those songs is rooted in those feelings, and also just wanting to hear the stuff that I know. I know the stuff on Permanent Waves through Grace, too, but they still play that stuff.

To the OP: I know what you're saying, but Rush has tried this, as recently as the Snakes and Arrows Tour.

I remember reading somewhere that they tried to warm up A Farewell to Kings on the Snakes and Arrows tour, but Geddy said they just couldn't make it work. Obviously they wouldn't have been happy with just tuning it down, which is the obvious solution.

Here's the link :

http://www.blender.com/blender-blog/76720/...-geddy-lee.html

I know you're saying pre-2112, but I'd say that the majority of pre-Permanent Waves is off limits due to the band's dissatisfaction with how it would sound today. Additionally, their sound has changed a lot since the 70's, so although they may still be proud of what they've done it may not be the most important thing for them to revisit that stuff. Not trying to make excuses, just saying that's theirs. I'd love to hear that stuff in any form, especially on a Time Machine tour!

QUOTE (coolcool23 @ Jun 21 2010, 11:25 AM)
To the OP: I know what you're saying, but Rush has tried this, as recently as the Snakes and Arrows Tour.

I remember reading somewhere that they tried to warm up A Farewell to Kings on the Snakes and Arrows tour, but Geddy said they just couldn't make it work. Obviously they wouldn't have been happy with just tuning it down, which is the obvious solution.

Here's the link :

I know you're saying pre-2112, but I'd say that the majority of pre-Permanent Waves is off limits due to the band's dissatisfaction with how it would sound today. Additionally, their sound has changed a lot since the 70's, so although they may still be proud of what they've done it may not be the most important thing for them to revisit that stuff. Not trying to make excuses, just saying that's theirs. I'd love to hear that stuff in any form, especially on a Time Machine tour!

Thanks for posting this article/interview. I am now more enlightened and sad. Goodbye dream of hearing all of Cygnus X-1 live ever again....goodbye..... fists crying.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 21 2010, 11:52 AM)
To the OP: I know what you're saying, but Rush has tried this, as recently as  the Snakes and Arrows Tour.

Here's the link :

Thanks for posting this article/interview. I am now more enlightened and sad. Goodbye dream of hearing all of Cygnus X-1 live ever again....goodbye..... fists crying.gif

I love his take on global warming yes.gif

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 21 2010, 11:52 AM)
To the OP: I know what you're saying, but Rush has tried this, as recently as  the Snakes and Arrows Tour.

Here's the link :

there's NO WAY IN HELL Geddy could ever sing Cygnus X-1 again lol

QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 22 2010, 01:46 AM)
The early albums took us on wild adventures to a multitude of distant lands. I haven't seen that in a few albums.

goodpost.gif I love the new stuff, but would be thrilled to hear something on Clockwork Angels that brings a bit of that 'magic' back.

QUOTE (bigalfan @ Jun 22 2010, 09:39 AM)
QUOTE (amish_ashaman @ Jun 22 2010, 01:46 AM)
The early albums took us on wild adventures to a multitude of distant lands. I haven't seen that in a few albums.

goodpost.gif I love the new stuff, but would be thrilled to hear something on Clockwork Angels that brings a bit of that 'magic' back.

Those days are over.