What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Jul 29 2011, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 29 2011, 02:54 PM)
starting this today

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Dune%20book%20cover.jpg

wish mine had this cool cover. I collect vintage scifi books.

Well you are in for a treat...

and here is a nice companion book for your collecting: Science Fiction: The Illustrated Encyclopedia

Cool book biggrin.gif

Also I like Dune so far, but having to look in the glossary so often is a pain in the ass.

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

Nassim Nicholas Taleb

No relation to the movie, this is an exploration of randomness and the influence of highly improbable and unpredictable events that have massive impact on the world we live in.

"History does not crawl, it jumps."

Ours is not a world of bell-curve predictability , what he calls "Mediocristan," He argues that our world is really shaped by the wild swings of "Extremistan."

Well expressed, fun to read so far.

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory. I've always been interested in the Tudors and the wars of the Roses, so it should be good!

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 28 2011, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 28 2011, 02:29 AM)
This Is Your Brain On Music by Daniel J. Levitin.

Same here. Though every time I pick it up my ADD kicks in and all the technical words and crap make me put it down again.

Yeah, it definitely gets pretty technical...I just finished a two-year course in audio engineering so I'm comfortable with it, but I can see how someone would be put off by the lingo. It's a pretty good read once you get past that though.

Just started Far and Away smile.gif Still reading Remembering Harry Kalas. Aaaand, Landscapes by Kevin J. Anderson. Been years now since I started it. I was enjoying it, then life went into overdrive. I will get back to it!

Just finishing Shelby Foote outstanding Civil War narrative Vol.1 Fort Sumter to Perryville. Purchased at Borders big discount since there going out of business sad.gif I enjoy buying and reading genuine 'real' books, old fashioned and out of date as that is becoming... Going to miss Borders. Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 5 2011, 11:09 AM)
lol "real" books

listen man anyone who reads e-books or has a kindle or some shit is stupid

I like to smell the goddamn page

I don't think it's stupid, i see advantages in those devices like ipod's (which I have) convenience is the main attraction.

It's the direction were heading in along with every thing else, people are in to much of a hurry and want to do things on the go. Physical actual books are to much of a burden to carry around. eyesre4.gif confused13.gif tongue.gif

But I'm with you, like the smell and feel of a book, turning the page, finishing a chapter seeing how far i have gone and what remains placing a book mark. Knowing after a long day i can be rewarded in my favorite reading chair and a good cup of coffee pick up my time machine and escape for a little while. yes.gif

Guess i might have to start going to the library..

Hitman by Howie Carr. It tells the story of John Martorano, a killer associated with James "Whitey" Bulger and Stevie "The Rifleman" Flemmi. I can't get enough of that story. Check out his 60 Minutes interview on YouTube. He looks like he's talking about mowing his lawn when he's talking about killing people. scared.gif

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Aug 5 2011, 11:09 AM)
lol "real" books

listen man anyone who reads e-books or has a kindle or some shit is stupid

I like to smell the goddamn page

What is the big deal about ebooks? I love my Nook. In fact, I can't stop reading it. I take it everywhere with me because it weighs a whole lot less than my hardcovers and I don't have to worry about damaging covers -- I've got a cover for it.

Do I prefer real books? Yes. Most definitely. When I'm sitting at home I'd rather turn the page than swipe across the e-ink touchscreen. But in terms of practicality and the square foot-age of my soon-to-be-dorm, I do not have room for my bookshelf. Sad as this makes me it makes me even more grateful to have a Nook so I can still enjoy reading without cramming my room with books that won't fit.

It's really not that bad.

(Besides, you wouldn't believe how many books are out for free in ebook format! It's wonderful!)

My biggest gripe is actually not being able to use my bookmarks I've made (such as my RUSH, HP, and Star Trek ones.. as well as some with pretty designs or inspiring quotes). Maybe there should be a market for virtual bookmarks! tongue.gif

But.. on topic... Currently making my way through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I'm slowing my pace a little so I can catch any details I may have missed in previous readings. It's my favourite of the series. Cedric~! heart.gif