Afterimage

WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER

I recently lost a very special close friend to cancer. Afterimage, while stirring up a lot of emotions, still makes the memories feel good. We used to ski fast through the woods... and I will always remember. My question is... Who died ?. Neil's friend, Geddy's, Alex's? I suppose I could research it but all the experts are right here on this forum.................T.V. RIP 2009.............. I feel, I feel the way you would.

"During our second stay at Le Studio, while recording Moving Pictures, I fell in love with the Laurentian winter. The assistant engineer, Robbie Whelan, a curly-haired, bright-eyed, enthusiastic young Englishman, introduced me to cross-country skiing, and I used to follow him through the snow-covered woodland trails... When we approached a downhill section, I would hear Robbie's whoops of excitement up ahead [webmaster note: read "The shouts of joy, skiing fast through the woods"]...On his way to work at Le Studio one morning in early 1983, Robbie was killed in a car accident. "Afterimage," was written for him." - Neil Peart, Roadshow

"Afterimage" was written about a man named Robbie Whelan, a good friend of the band who died in a car accident in about 1983, I think, on the way to the studio. He assisted in the engineering of Signals, and "played" right field in the album liners.

edit: nvm, SDT answered it.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 9 2010, 03:04 PM)
He assisted in the engineering of Signals, and "played" right field in the album liners.

Oh, yes, one likes to believe in the freedom of baseball. wink.gif

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ May 9 2010, 03:10 PM)
Thanks 'Show Don't Tell' and 'Xanadu 93'. I need to read Road Show. Amazon.com should have here in a couple days. biggrin.gif

I actually haven't read it -- just stole the quote from this page. It sounds like an interesting read, though. I've read "The Masked Rider" and a bit of Ghost Rider, but that's all by the Professor.

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 9 2010, 03:25 PM)
One of the greatest Rush songs of all time, both musically and lyrically. Video's great too.

Yeah, I really have a thing for Afterimage. It's usually my go-to song when I feel the need to listen to something from P/G.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 9 2010, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 9 2010, 02:25 PM)
One of the greatest Rush songs of all time, both musically and lyrically.  Video's great too.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Not sure how you can disagree with that one! unsure.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ May 9 2010, 02:35 PM)
One of the greatest Rush songs of all time, both musically and lyrically.  Video's great too.

Come on, man. G/P has MUCH better songs on it. That, Kid Gloves, and Red Lenses are all poor songs.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 9 2010, 02:36 PM)

Come on, man. G/P has MUCH better songs on it. That, Kid Gloves, and Red Lenses are all poor songs.

Gotta disagree. I actually think Afterimage is the best song on the album. I like the whole thing, though I will stipulate the Red Lenses isnt one of their best.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 9 2010, 11:36 AM)

I wholeheartedly disagree. Kid Gloves is a great song; it's like a sequel to The Analog Kid or Subdivisions. Very underrated song.

I don't know how you can say these are bad songs, they're not! It's just your opinion and you're wrong! I actually think Red Lenses is great, i really like the bass line and the bass solo at the end and it features some great playing and composition from Neil! Kid Gloves is a great song too and i agree that Afterimage is awesome even though there's no bass on it!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ May 9 2010, 03:19 PM)

I don't know how you can say these are bad songs, they're not! It's just your opinion and you're wrong! I actually think Red Lenses is great, i really like the bass line and the bass solo at the end and it features some great playing and composition from Neil! Kid Gloves is a great song too and i agree that Afterimage is awesome even though there's no bass on it!

Well, a lot of people are with me on this one in the case of Red Lenses. Many hate it 062802puke_prv.gif

Another example of one of those songs where the music doesnt quite fit the actual lyrical content.

The music is pretty upbeat, but the lyrics are fairly somber. I remember Neil talking about this being the difficulty of the lyricist not involved in writing the music, so sometimes you end up with these very odd combinations. Might have been from that S&A game of snakes and arrows dvd where he talked about this.

The Big Wheel is a great example. Those lyrics are extremely negative, but the music is very happy. Its fine if you just listen to it as a song, dont analyze the lyrics, but as soon as you start realizing what its actually about, you realize the music doesnt fit them at all.

Whn I first saw the title of the song way back I thought it said Afermage either way I just love the song and everything else from GUP. An awseome dedication.

I have to disagree with Cygnus_the god of balance...Afterimage is a fantastic song. Kid Gloves is also a great song. While Red Lenses is not the best Rush song, I like it better than Red Sector A. If there was only one song that they could play from G/P I would want it to be Afterimage...

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 9 2010, 08:49 PM)

Well, a lot of people are with me on this one in the case of Red Lenses. Many hate it 062802puke_prv.gif

But that doesn't actually make it a bad song, just one that a lot of people don't like.

I mean, here in the UK, Westlife have been one of the biggest selling bands around but that doesn't make them musical geniuses (or is that geneii? Or something like that?)

Music is 100% subjective and you like what you like - there's no good and bad invloved.

Every song on Grace Under Pressure is awesome IMO. Haters, suck a pickle.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ May 9 2010, 03:49 PM)

Afterimage is one of my all time fav songs. Kid Gloves is a great song too and I love Red Lenses. So there. tongue.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ May 9 2010, 04:11 PM)
Another example of one of those songs where the music doesnt quite fit the actual lyrical content.

The music is pretty upbeat, but the lyrics are fairly somber.

I don't find the music to Afterimage being up beat. Uptempo perhaps but the music itself I think is a great blend with the lyrics: questioning, frantically & sadly searching for an answer as to why, an anger & intensity that comes with suddenly losing a loved one.

Again, great song.

Archived