Why I left Facebook

Mara

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't read the article but does it basically touch on the facts that no matter how hard you try the information you put on Facebook is no longer yours? That "I Agree to These Terms" is more deadly than we think. All of the information becomes the property of Facebook and is legally public information at that point.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 5 2010, 10:21 PM)
use a fake name???

I've considered it, but I've heard they won't let you? I don't see how they could prevent it if you're a first-timer, but I've already had an account there. So they've got my ISP, for one thing.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 5 2010, 10:36 PM)
use a fake name???

I've considered it, but I've heard they won't let you? I don't see how they could prevent it if you're a first-timer, but I've already had an account there. So they've got my ISP, for one thing.

I think they don't like you using a fake well-known name like "Alex Lifeson" or "Sandra Bullock," or a typical message board name like "Mara2112." I'm sure if you called yourself "Mara Peart" no one from FB would make the connection. wink.gif

use a fake name???

Umm, yeah you can do it. My second account is Baldy Sour Fester! laugh.gif

This is my profile picture...

http://images.quizilla.com/S/snuffhouse/1086659937_saaafester.JPG

QUOTE (tick @ May 5 2010, 10:45 PM)
use a fake name???

you shouldn't use your real photo like that...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 5 2010, 10:40 PM)
use a fake name???

I think they don't like you using a fake well-known name like "Alex Lifeson" or "Sandra Bullock," or a typical message board name like "Mara2112." I'm sure if you called yourself "Mara Peart" no one from FB would make the connection. wink.gif

laugh.gif Thus tagging myself as one of those nutbag fans that make Neil nervous!

QUOTE (tick @ May 5 2010, 09:45 PM)
use a fake name???

It took me ten months of research, five computer hackers, nine private investigators and the help of three multinational corporations to finally unearth your secret identity...

ph34r.gif ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ May 5 2010, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 5 2010, 10:40 PM)
use a fake name???

laugh.gif Thus tagging myself as one of those nutbag fans that make Neil nervous!

I know someone named Sandra Bullock - not the actress - who has a Facebook page. We have 12 friends in common. biggrin.gif

I'm thinking about leaving mine, ex-GF's I hoped to never hear from again are finding me there. Same thing with Classmates, maybe even worse. Maybe if I weren't such a slut back then, it wouldn't be a problem.

Meh.

-The Internet is public. Don't post anything online that you don't want the general public to see. Facebook is not an exception.

-Don't click "okay" just to make the "are you sure?" screens go away. Read them and make sure you know what you're getting into. When you agree to let apps access you and your friends' info, don't be surprised when they does exactly that.

When it comes to the Internet, the responsibility to protect your personal info always lies with you. Let's face it; Facebook could have the most intuitive interface around, with easy-to-access privacy settings and opt-ins instead of opt-outs...and plenty of people would still manage to get their personal data in the wrong hands. Don't blame the website.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 6 2010, 03:54 AM)
I'm thinking about leaving mine, ex-GF's I hoped to never hear from again are finding me there. Same thing with Classmates, maybe even worse. Maybe if I weren't such a slut back then, it wouldn't be a problem.

You have had more then one girlfriend? doh.gif

tongue.gif

It happened to Paris Hilton too. It hasn't happened to me.

I haven't gone there in like a year. I use Twitter now.

Funny that this topic came up, but I saw on the news today that a woman stated to her Facebook friends that she was going on vacation. She came back to find her house ransacked.

It seems there were others who made this mistake.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2010, 04:49 AM)
Meh.

-The Internet is public. Don't post anything online that you don't want the general public to see. Facebook is not an exception.
-Don't click "okay" just to make the "are you sure?" screens go away. Read them and make sure you know what you're getting into. When you agree to let apps access you and your friends' info, don't be surprised when they does exactly that.

When it comes to the Internet, the responsibility to protect your personal info always lies with you. Let's face it; Facebook could have the most intuitive interface around, with easy-to-access privacy settings and opt-ins instead of opt-outs...and plenty of people would still manage to get their personal data in the wrong hands. Don't blame the website.

goodpost.gif

Mara, the same shit could happen here. You could post a picture here and someone could decide to claim it as their own. You could divulge too much information and someone here could take advantage of that. TRUST ME.

Your hatred of FaceBook is misplaced. There's a lot more evil stuff on the web than a social network that has a user agreement that they can use whatever you post to advertise with. They can't claim your pictures as theirs to make money, but they can use them to advertise their site. No big deal.

If you post anything that gets you screwed... it's not FaceBook's fault.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 6 2010, 06:08 PM)
Meh.

-The Internet is public. Don't post anything  online that you don't want the general public to see. Facebook is not an exception.

goodpost.gif

Mara, the same shit could happen here. You could post a picture here and someone could decide to claim it as their own. You could divulge too much information and someone here could take advantage of that. TRUST ME.

Your hatred of FaceBook is misplaced. There's a lot more evil stuff on the web than a social network that has a user agreement that they can use whatever you post to advertise with. They can't claim your pictures as theirs to make money, but they can use them to advertise their site. No big deal.

It's not pictures so much as. . .well, I just don't like that much of "me" being out there for anyone to grab. Or sell.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 6 2010, 06:08 PM)
Meh.

-The Internet is public. Don't post anything  online that you don't want the general public to see. Facebook is not an exception.

goodpost.gif

It's not pictures so much as. . .well, I just don't like that much of "me" being out there for anyone to grab. Or sell.

Tell me... if you're not posting pictures or art of some kind... what can they actually SELL about you?

I don't think I've ever posted anything that would be damaging to my privacy that anyone could make money from. Hey... if someone wants to make a book about all my status updates and make a fortune off it... more power to them. But what can you really put on there that the MIGHTY CONGLOMERATE THAT IS FACEBOOK... would want to sell? I don't get it.

I know there's a ton of negative press about the website that might scare people, but in the end... what the hell can they do to you without you having put on there to begin with? I've NEVER even gotten an email that I didn't want or encourage from them. They've never called me at work to tell me that my pictures are theirs and they are going to sell the one of my baby kitten in CeeJ's hand. They've never given me or anyone I know a virus that didn't CLICK ON THE LINK without thinking... I mean really... do you think that a WEBSITE gives your computer a virus all by itself? Ummmm... seeing that they need you AT your computer to make money... i don't think that's happening.

I could post a link here and you could all trust me and click on it and guess what... it could be a video of me in drag... or it could be a VIRUS. That wouldn't be TRF's fault... would it? no.gif But really... they should of banned me after the FIRST video of me in drag... but that's another story. z7shysterical.gif

FaceBook isn't evil. People are stupid. The person that made their status update to include the fact that they would be out of their house for days... that was just stupid. No wait... i'm wrong... it's FACEBOOK'S FAULT.

:sheesh:

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 6 2010, 05:08 PM)
Meh.

goodpost.gif

goodpost.gif

You always decide what you want to post on there. If you don't want others to see it or read it than don't post it. The End.

All the information you put out there you should be conciously aware of what you are doing. If you don't want the world to know what you had for dinner than don't post it. When it comes to pics other people take of you, well you were there when they took them. You can always let them know you dont want it on FB later or not to tag you or hell even untag yourself so other people can't see your pic.

The people who get screwed over with things like this are the people who are not using common sense when posting about their lives.

It's not rocket science people.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 6 2010, 02:49 AM)
Meh.

Couldn't have said it any better....or simpler.

I'm still blown away when people put their birthdates on their profiles, include photos of their homes, families, work, school....everything!

Crazy.

I'm on Facebook, but I make sure that I don't have my address posted in my profile or anything else I don't want folks to know. Only friends can see my profile.

I just want to say that I'm not going to be home for the next two weeks and my house has no alarm system and I don't lock my windows. bekloppt.gif

Archived