Why I left Facebook

Mara

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 6 2010, 07:05 PM)
I'm still blown away when people put their birthdates on their profiles, include photos of their homes, families, work, school....everything!

Crazy.

Why is it crazy? Who gives a shit if someone knows your birthday or what there house looks like? Seriously, what difference does it make?

"WOOOO HOOOO, TICK TURNS 46 IN OCTOBER, WE GOT HIM NOW!"

wacko.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay. You're all telling me things that I pretty much know but hard-headedly don't want to acknowledge.

A HUGE part of it, I admit, is that I RESENT being made to feel I have to join. That it's assumed I will.

I can't tell you how many people - friends, family - send me e-mails with pictures and it's a goddamn FB link. I have to e-mail them back to let them know I can't access it. (Implying that I'm not going to join just so I can view). I realize it's stubborn and probably more than a bit bitchy on my part, but I don't like being dragged into anything. I've even had a party invitation set up this way - had to e-mail the sender to give me the details in plain old text via e-mail. Yes, it makes me the bigger assclam for it - who is really inconveniencing who. I know the answer.

In addition, most of my friends/family who do this are LOCAL. I understand it's been great for people at a distance to reconnect and keep in touch.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 07:14 PM)
Okay. You're all telling me things that I pretty much know but hard-headedly don't want to acknowledge.

A HUGE part of it, I admit, is that I RESENT being made to feel I have to join. That it's assumed I will.

I can't tell you how many people - friends, family - send me e-mails with pictures and it's a goddamn FB link. I have to e-mail them back to let them know I can't access it. (Implying that I'm not going to join just so I can view). I realize it's stubborn and probably more than a bit bitchy on my part, but I don't like being dragged into anything. I've even had a party invitation set up this way - had to e-mail the sender to give me the details in plain old text via e-mail. Yes, it makes me the bigger assclam for it - who is really inconveniencing who. I know the answer.

In addition, most of my friends/family who do this are LOCAL. I understand it's been great for people at a distance to reconnect and keep in touch.

Yeah, we Rush fans who are on Facebook are going to have a party...and you're so not invited because you don't have a Facebook account.

Blahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

I understand you Mara because by nature, I'm a rebel and don't conform to what people say I should. atickhum.gif

The thing I do like about Facebook is, its gives me an easy informal way to connect and stay in touch with certain people without the hassle of actually having to call them or make any real effort. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 06:11 PM)
I'm still blown away when people put their birthdates on their profiles, include photos of their homes, families, work, school....everything!

Crazy.

Why is it crazy? Who gives a shit if someone knows your birthday or what there house looks like? Seriously, what difference does it make?

wacko.gif

I agree. I have my birth month and date listed, but not the year. I also made it so that no one can see my profile unless they're my friend, and I mean no one. And I only add people who I know.

In fact, I probably should slim down my friends a bit.

But yeah, I know the privacy is working because someone said they were looking for me the other day and couldn't find me. That's because I made it so I don't show up in the searches.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 6 2010, 07:23 PM)
Facebook is a scheme to gather information on demographics. Its all about marketing.

But really... so what? Marketers need to make money too. I've been grateful many times for some of the websites and ads that are posted on my page. No big deal. If I want to buy something, I do. If not... FACEBOOK doesn't hunt me down and force me to buy it. laugh.gif

But you already WERE a member. If I'm not mistaken, you quit for a reason that wasn't really facebook's fault, right? Was it you that hated the emails you got with each post? That's easily remedied.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for them, but it's a pretty good site. I spend way too much time there, but it's been quite valuable to me in many ways.

The negative stuff is easily avoided to make the whole FB experience quite fun. I hope you come back someday. I've found that the forum thing gets old quick and there's much more interaction with many more like-minded people on FB.

And let me clarify... the "forum thing" only means the posting among the same people and same ol' arguments and stupid shit. I don't mean the great friendships and great times that have come from the "forum thing". Just to be clear. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 5 2010, 11:00 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ May 5 2010, 10:45 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ May 5 2010, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 5 2010, 10:21 PM)
use a fake name???

I've considered it, but I've heard they won't let you? I don't see how they could prevent it if you're a first-timer, but I've already had an account there. So they've got my ISP, for one thing.

Umm, yeah you can do it. My second account is Baldy Sour Fester! laugh.gif

This is my profile picture...

http://images.quizilla.com/S/snuffhouse/1086659937_saaafester.JPG

you shouldn't use your real photo like that...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 6 2010, 07:37 PM)
Okay.  You're all telling me things that I pretty much know but hard-headedly don't want to acknowledge.

A HUGE part of it, I admit, is that I RESENT being made to feel I have to join.  That it's assumed I will.

I can't tell you how many people - friends, family - send me e-mails with pictures and it's a goddamn FB link.  I have to e-mail them back to let them know I can't access it.  (Implying that I'm not going to join just so I can view).  I realize it's stubborn and probably more than a bit bitchy on my part, but I don't like being dragged into anything.  I've even had a party invitation set up this way - had to e-mail the sender to give me the details in plain old text via e-mail.  Yes, it makes me the bigger assclam for it - who is really inconveniencing who.  I know the answer.

In addition, most of my friends/family who do this are LOCAL.  I understand it's been great for people at a distance to reconnect and keep in touch.

But you already WERE a member. If I'm not mistaken, you quit for a reason that wasn't really facebook's fault, right? Was it you that hated the emails you got with each post? That's easily remedied.

I don't want to sound like a commercial for them, but it's a pretty good site. I spend way too much time there, but it's been quite valuable to me in many ways.

The negative stuff is easily avoided to make the whole FB experience quite fun. I hope you come back someday. I've found that the forum thing gets old quick and there's much more interaction with many more like-minded people on FB.

And let me clarify... the "forum thing" only means the posting among the same people and same ol' arguments and stupid shit. I don't mean the great friendships and great times that have come from the "forum thing". Just to be clear. biggrin.gif

Eh, the magic wore off for me pretty fast. I got in touch with a few old friends from high school and college. In a couple of instances, it became patently clear WHY we didn't keep in touch.

The e-mails - nah, shut that off first thing. That was no big deal.

Truly, the one thing that seriously got to me was a result of a status update. I made a few remarks about my artificial hip and its sudden decision to not cooperate any more, plus a complaint about an orthopedist I saw. The next day I had FOUR Atlanta area chiropractors trying to friend me. (As if a chiropractor could do thing one about a joint replacement, but I digress). That and the fact that I'd made the mistake of adding a certain family member as a friend, and she was constantly complaining every time she saw me, or talked to her brother (my husband) that I hadn't responded to her "poke" or invite, or whatever.

Right now it's just more headache than fun for me.

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ May 6 2010, 07:37 PM)
Okay.  You're all telling me things that I pretty much know but hard-headedly don't want to acknowledge.

A HUGE part of it, I admit, is that I RESENT being made to feel I have to join.  That it's assumed I will.

I can't tell you how many people - friends, family - send me e-mails with pictures and it's a goddamn FB link.  I have to e-mail them back to let them know I can't access it.  (Implying that I'm not going to join just so I can view).  I realize it's stubborn and probably more than a bit bitchy on my part, but I don't like being dragged into anything.  I've even had a party invitation set up this way - had to e-mail the sender to give me the details in plain old text via e-mail.  Yes, it makes me the bigger assclam for it - who is really inconveniencing who.  I know the answer.

In addition, most of my friends/family who do this are LOCAL.  I understand it's been great for people at a distance to reconnect and keep in touch.

Eh, the magic wore off for me pretty fast. I got in touch with a few old friends from high school and college. In a couple of instances, it became patently clear WHY we didn't keep in touch.

The e-mails - nah, shut that off first thing. That was no big deal.

Truly, the one thing that seriously got to me was a result of a status update. I made a few remarks about my artificial hip and its sudden decision to not cooperate any more, plus a complaint about an orthopedist I saw. The next day I had FOUR Atlanta area chiropractors trying to friend me. (As if a chiropractor could do thing one about a joint replacement, but I digress). That and the fact that I'd made the mistake of adding a certain family member as a friend, and she was constantly complaining every time she saw me, or talked to her brother (my husband) that I hadn't responded to her "poke" or invite, or whatever.

Right now it's just more headache than fun for me.

The chiropractor thing would bug me, but it just seems odd. I make personal status updates all the time and have never gotten an advertisement type of friend request. I'm not saying it can't happen, but i've never run across it, and believe me, i use FB a LOT.

As for the personal friend bullshit, that would bug me too, but I'd just "un-friend" them. As painful as it sounds, it's easy to do. laugh.gif

Anyway, i wish your experience there wasn't so bad. There's always good times there, especially when people are bored and we get on runs with videos and long discussions about stuff.

I've not had any issues with Facebook except getting friend requests from scantily clad women that I don't know.

I can't believe that I am reading yet ANOTHER thread about Facebook.

If you wanna have a FB have one... If you don't want one, DON'T.

I don't see what the big deal is that we need yet another thread about this.

I remember when here at TRF there were so many silly threads that the admins had asked us to make sure we use the search tool and use the already made threads. If you search just the word Facebook, you made 2 threads already and this is the third. One of them titled "I just deleted my Facebook account! " which really confuses me cause that was back in February and here we are in May and now you wanna tell us WHY? I thought you made it clear in the 7th post in that thread why you left. Is there a different reason... NO!!! Still a privacy thing.

Can I show you something?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=why+i+left+...92247cea9b82331

All I did was google why I left facebook Mara and look at the third search result. It is TRF. OMG!!! Now what does that tell us? Anyone???

Oh... What anyone should already know, if it's out there on the internet, it's not very private.

I guess I am just overtired and easily annoyed.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2010, 07:04 PM)
I've not had any issues with Facebook except getting friend requests from scantily clad women that I don't know.

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ May 6 2010, 08:07 PM)

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

Since I'm a star in the new documentary, I guess I have to expect that kind of thing, right? cool.gif

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

Yeah... well THAT would annoy me too. ohmy.gif

Shhhh... don't tell her I said that. z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2010, 07:09 PM)

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

Since I'm a star in the new documentary, I guess I have to expect that kind of thing, right? cool.gif

You did look and sound mighty sexy.

wink.gif

QUOTE (CeeJ @ May 6 2010, 08:11 PM)

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

wink.gif

I know darling. That is a family trait.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2010, 07:16 PM)
QUOTE (CeeJ @ May 6 2010, 08:11 PM)

That was my sister!!!

tongue.gif

wink.gif

I know darling. That is a family trait.

wub.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 05:11 PM)

Crazy.

wacko.gif

All you need to steel an identity is a name and birthdate.

I agree with what others have said. I put very limited info on mine, and am only friends with real friends.....not friends of friends etc....nothing wrong with Facebook at all. They can't take someting that's not there......

QUOTE (CeeJ @ May 6 2010, 08:06 PM)
I can't believe that I am reading yet ANOTHER thread about Facebook.
If you wanna have a FB have one... If you don't want one, DON'T.
I don't see what the big deal is that we need yet another thread about this.

I remember when here at TRF there were so many silly threads that the admins had asked us to make sure we use the search tool and use the already made threads. If you search just the word Facebook, you made 2 threads already and this is the third. One of them titled "I just deleted my Facebook account! " which really confuses me cause that was back in February and here we are in May and now you wanna tell us WHY? I thought you made it clear in the 7th post in that thread why you left.  Is there a different reason... NO!!! Still a privacy thing.

Can I show you something?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=why+i+left+...92247cea9b82331

All I did was google  why I left facebook Mara and look at the third search result. It is TRF. OMG!!! Now what does that tell us?  Anyone???

Oh... What anyone should already know, if it's out there on the internet, it's not very private.

I guess I am just overtired and easily annoyed. 

My best guess on the chiro contacts is that the guilty parties hired a group to run searches for certain key words. For example, in my case, "orthopedic", "hip", etc.

Actually the reason I made this thread was to post the article, which does contain some helpful information on privacy settings. Even if you are Facebook's #1 fan, it's still useful to know.

But I also know I didn't do a very good job of staying on topic. Mea culpa.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ May 6 2010, 06:19 PM)

Crazy.

wacko.gif

I agree. I have my birth month and date listed, but not the year. I also made it so that no one can see my profile unless they're my friend, and I mean no one. And I only add people who I know.

But yeah, I know the privacy is working because someone said they were looking for me the other day and couldn't find me. That's because I made it so I don't show up in the searches.

I just don't get the constant bitching about something that is COMPLETELY your decision to join or not. They do have security options for you if you feel you need them and you decide what info you wanna release to the public. There are plenty of people who function well without FB, that's cool. Life existed before FB and it will exist well after the Giant Spiders take over the planet in 2012 and remove all existance of the internet.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 6 2010, 08:49 PM)

Crazy.

wacko.gif

I just don't get the constant bitching about something that is COMPLETELY your decision to join or not. They do have security options for you if you feel you need them and you decide what info you wanna release to the public. There are plenty of people who function well without FB, that's cool. Life existed before FB and it will exist well after the Giant Spiders take over the planet in 2012 and remove all existance of the internet.

Don't tell Necro about the Giant Spider Takeover.

Uh, oops.

doh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ May 6 2010, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 6 2010, 08:49 PM)

Crazy.

wacko.gif

Don't tell Necro about the Giant Spider Takeover.

Uh, oops.

doh.gif

OMG!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Is that for REAL????

I'm outta here. bolt.gif

Archived