Ewwwwwwwww

southernjim

My question is; Where/how do you get injured like that and when you do, why would you let it not get treated to the point of having it infested by maggots.

Maggots are good in that kind of situation...lost for days...horrible injury...infection spreading....maggots will eat infected and dead flesh but leave healthy flesh in tact. Keeps it clean.

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 7 2010, 08:11 AM)
Maggots are good in that kind of situation...lost for days...horrible injury...infection spreading....maggots will eat infected and dead flesh but leave healthy flesh in tact. Keeps it clean.

Excuse the oxymoron, but having watched that vid I have a healthy respect for maggots.

God know's that poor guy was going through though. And as for the doctors - I bet they must have been pretty shocked at the sight too - and where the hell do you start treating that kind of mass infection!?

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 7 2010, 03:11 AM)

Nice one, Tark! trink39.gif You beat me to it!

I'm off to the survival thread, this is important info.

Yup, it will keep the infected area from become gangrene and have to be amputated later. Definitely a good thing to know when placed in a "Survival Situation" yes.gif

I saw this video a lil while ago, it definitely gives you a different appreciation for maggots.

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 7 2010, 12:54 AM)
My question is; Where/how do you get injured like that and when you do, why would you let it not get treated to the point of having it infested by maggots.

He was in a motorcycle accident and unconscious in a watermelon field for a while.

Yes, very healthy, but just imagining maggots that close to my brain... ugh.

QUOTE (southernjim @ Mar 7 2010, 01:22 PM)

He was in a motorcycle accident and unconscious in a watermelon field for a while.

Ya, you would have to keep a close eye on the lil buggers, to make sure they didn't eat anything important.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 7 2010, 02:04 PM)

Ya, you would have to keep a close eye on the lil buggers, to make sure they didn't eat anything important.

They wouldn't touch your brain unless it was dead tissue, and if it got that far, then you're screwed anyway laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 7 2010, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 7 2010, 02:04 PM)

They wouldn't touch your brain unless it was dead tissue, and if it got that far, then you're screwed anyway laugh.gif

Of course, the maggots used in hospitals are specially raised in sterile conditions for that specific purpose; it's not like the doctor goes out searching for 4 day-old roadkill.

I wonder how the maggots are itemized on a hospital bill? And how much they cost?

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 7 2010, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 7 2010, 04:09 PM)
Now I have an old GWAR song stuck in my head...

1022.gif

That's the one! laugh.gif

I had a roommate that was a GWAR fan. The only person I've heard of to get kicked out of a GWAR concert.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 8 2010, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 7 2010, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 7 2010, 04:09 PM)
Now I have an old GWAR song stuck in my head...

1022.gif

That's the one! laugh.gif

I had a roommate that was a GWAR fan. The only person I've heard of to get kicked out of a GWAR concert.

z7shysterical.gif I wonder what he did to get kicked outta a GWAR concert of all places. Those shows are pretty insane as it is.

That vid is grody.

When I was a kid I lived in the country and we had a dog that I guess got in a pretty bad fight and had his leg chewed up fairly badly...

It was hot summertime weather. By the time we got him to the vet his leg was infected had quite a few maggots living in there too...

My job was to spray his wound with the little spray-paint-can type thing of medicine, this purple stinky stuff that forced the maggots to come to the surface, and I would grab them with a Kleenex and squash them and throw them in our fireplace.

I'm not squeamish at all, but to this day maggots bother me a smidgen I guess. The poor guy in that vid - god bless his soul how brutal that must be getting them all off of and out of him...

Mmmm I think Ima go make a bowl of my famous wet'n'sticky rice now.

*runs off*

Archived