System of a Down

Indica

QUOTE (Oberon @ Dec 29 2005, 07:40 PM)
My brother bought Mezmerize and Toxicity a few days ago. Mezmerize is very good -- haven't had the time to listen to the other one.

I like them both but I like Toxicity a little better. But they both are awesome CD's. yes.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mesmerize/Hypnotize were my albums of the year. Definately. Lost In Hollywood being my favourite track.

I've also seen SOAD three times, the last time at Manchester Arena in 2005, and they're one of the most startlingly intense bands I've ever seen, by turns both amazing and hilarious, but they certainly hold the attention live.

I also saw them blow Metallica off the stage at Leeds Festival 2003, and that was no mean feat.

QUOTE (Melll @ Jan 7 2006, 11:23 AM)
Mesmerize/Hypnotize were my albums of the year. Definately. Lost In Hollywood being my favourite track.

I've also seen SOAD three times, the last time at Manchester Arena in 2005, and they're one of the most startlingly intense bands I've ever seen, by turns both amazing and hilarious, but they certainly hold the attention live.

I also saw them blow Metallica off the stage at Leeds Festival 2003, and that was no mean feat.

Hellz Ya!!! goodpost.gif

I also seem them blow everyone off the stage at the ozzfest a few years back. Rob Zombie was salty because they let S.O.A.D. headline the year when Ozzy was in the hospital with Sharon. Ozzy made the right choice for sure. Sorry Robbie, your band rocks but they shouldn't headline over S.O.A.D. no.gif

System of a Down are OK and certainly have a unique sound. I must say a lot of their songs pass me by, all a bit too manic and shouty, but they have their good moments, and the drummer is pretty good.

That's what I love though, is they aren't that low, angry, snarling singing that plagues most of today's metal. His voice evens everything out in their music. I was actually thinking about this last night, but I thought of Primus first. If Les Claypool's voice was lower, it would just be frightening ("So I kissed 'im up side the cranium with an aluminum baseball bat, MY NAME IS MUD!!!"). I think that's why I like SOAD, it's metal that I can feel fine listening to.

Their self-titled album is great and remains one of my favourite alternative rock albums of the 90s. Toxicity is enjoyable, but I find that the way the songs were arranged and presented is more memorable than the actual compositions. Mezmerize is OK. The other two albums I don't care for, but considering that they were more or less out-takes compilations I'd let them off for it.

I saw them do a version of Black Sabbath's Snowblind on youtube which I thought was speeded up and crap. The comments cracked me up though, there seems more idiots per head on youtube than anywhere else based on the comments section...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Finbar @ Apr 22 2007, 08:17 AM)
Great band. I saw them live. Blistering show.

oh man! I hear they kick ass live.

I like SOAD....not as much as I used to....I was in a SOAD cover band...as the drummer....so I think I just got extremely tired of their music...haven't listened to their stuff until M/H came out...and now I enjoy them again. Good band for sure! cool.gif

i was just thinking about this thread the other day because Indy started it..

he was the one who turned me on to this band because of this thread!!

trink39.gif Thanks Indy!!

Archived