Joan Jett not a fan of The Holy Trinity

spirit of radio

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Jan 30 2010, 12:48 PM)
I saw her open for Robert Plant once. She was terrible. She is just pissed because none of the guys would accept her advances.

lol yeah probably. Weren't they all married already by 76? Not that that would stop most 23 year old rockstars, but I like to think Rush are better than that.

Peeing on a guitar is just gross.

Rush got treated like shit by Aerosmith, not even getting to do a sound check. They said in Contents Under Pressure that after the way they were treated they always made sure to take care of their opening acts and treat them fairly.

I didn't think Joan Jett was interested in guys???

confused13.gif Thought she swung the other way.

I remember reading (yes, reading!) in an old Playboy magazine that had a little blurb on Lita Ford after she went solo. This would've been in the early '80's I'd guess. It was just a couple paragraphs long, and I can't remember all of it, but the part I do remember is that she thought it was awful that Rush would play live under the influence. To recall (to the best of my present ability) it was something very close to this:

"Yeah, Rush would come on stage all high and everything. It was just awful. Yuck."

I never liked Lita Ford (or The Runaways), but after that I thought even less of her. I would bet that it was the reverse that was closer to the truth. I bet it was The Runaways/Lita Ford that were all blitzed while playing. Pure conjecture on my part, however.

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Jan 30 2010, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 29 2010, 05:58 PM)
Well if that's true. Then it happened after this photo was taken. laugh.gif  tongue.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/troutbum/RushRun.jpg

It says in the photo with Rush and the Runaways that Mercury/Phonogram threw a party for the band at a gig at the LA Forum.

Apparently this photo was taken in 1976.

This was the date I found that comes close to this:

December 1, 1976 - Great Western Forum. Los Angeles, California (Ted Nugent, Rex)

The Runaways played two shows with Rush on the following dates:

February 9, 1977 - Civic Center. Saginaw, Michigan (The Runaways)

February 10, 1977 - Cobo Hall Arena. Detroit, Michigan (Max Webster, The Runaways)

The incident with Joan Jett urinating on Rush's instruments occurred way after the photo of both groups at the table.

I referenced these shows from the Rush - Power Windows Tour Archives

Then obviously they kissed and made up. laugh.gif tongue.gif

I'm having a hard time believing Rush would be jerks to an opening act after the crap Aerosmith put them through...

I love rock n' roll

So put another dime in the jukebox, baby

I love rock n' roll

So come an' take your time an' dance with me

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

So come an' take your time an' dance with

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll

I don't blame 'em for laughing.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 30 2010, 05:24 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jan 30 2010, 04:21 AM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 29 2010, 07:47 PM)
“Rush! They sat on the side of the stage and laughed at us,” Jett says.

I don't believe Rush ever laughed at any other bands. They know what it is like to get laughed at. 2.gif

Not even Blondie?

I found the following courtesy of the Rush - Power Windows Tour Archive

January 21, 1979 - The Spectrum. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Blondie - booed off stage)

Blondie was a pioneer in the early American new wave and punk rock scenes of the mid-1970s.

However the difference between The Runaways and Blondie is that the latter probably had more of an appealing influential to Rush.

The 'new wave' music genre could not be ignored and this is the direction that Rush went in that began with 'Permanent Waves', which was a success.

I believe the Rush fans were naive and didn't realize that when they were booing Blondie, that it was the musical direction Rush would go towards from that point on.

This is similar to when The Rolling Stones had Prince as an opening act and he was booed off the stage. The J. Geils Band was also on the bill.

Both Mick Jagger and Peter Wolf were fans of Prince, but the audience did not get the bigger picture according to here.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Jan 29 2010, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 29 2010, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 29 2010, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Jan 29 2010, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Jan 29 2010, 08:06 PM)
God forbid if anybody got a chuckle over her hideous schtick scared.gif

goodpost.gif

I always thought Joan Jett was kind of a skank, anyway... laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Plus, she should have thicker skin than that. This happens to most bands when they first start out. Can you imagine the reaction that people had when Geddy started his singing career? ph34r.gif rofl3.gif Peeing on any guitar, especially that of a professional is just plain low and disrespectful. new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

To be fair, if I read the article correctly, the scene was "inspired". So, did it actually happen? Who knows? Maybe it was all made up for dramatic effect?

Maybe she did pee on one of the bands guitars and that is the real reason why Alex retired his original Gibson ES-335 that he played for most of the first four albums. Alex always claims that during a show at the National Coliseum with Blue Oyster Cult, one of the horns from the PA fell on his original red doubleneck and then fell over on that beautiful sunburst 335 but I think now we know the real story. eyesre4.gif I would never play a guitar that had pee on it again. And the whole PA horn story sounds much, much cooler.

I think Joan's pee could probably do more damage than a PA horn.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 31 2010, 01:41 AM)
I love rock n' roll
I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll
I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll
I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll
I love rock n' roll

I love rock n' roll
I love rock n' roll

I don't blame 'em for laughing.

'cept that was Joan Jett when she went solo.

The Runaways sang such classics as this wonderful number:

"I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!!"

Ok, so maybe the guys were laughing at them. laugh.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 29 2010, 07:58 PM)
Well if that's true. Then it happened after this photo was taken. laugh.gif tongue.gif

That was after the make up sex

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2010, 11:49 AM)
Well if that's true. Then it happened after this photo was taken. laugh.gif  tongue.gif

Geddy looks quite satisfied. yes.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 31 2010, 09:49 AM)

All the guys look happy. All the girls do not.

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 31 2010, 09:50 AM)

Geddy looks high! tongue.gif

There was a good documentary out on The Runaways called Edgeplay, alot of pressure put on them for kids in there early teens. If this is true, being young and impressionable perhaps they did interpret Rush "laughing" at them the wrong way. Can't imagine like others here said Alex,Geddy and Neil being so openly disrespectful after what they have been through as a opening act..... But , didn't Robin Zander of Cheap Trick say they had a unpleasant experience with touring with Rush also? confused13.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 1 2010, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 31 2010, 09:50 AM)

Geddy looks high! tongue.gif

No doubt they all are tongue.gif popcorn.gif

QUOTE (softfilter @ Feb 1 2010, 11:58 AM)
There was a good documentary out on The Runaways called Edgeplay, alot of pressure put on them for kids in there early teens. If this is true, being young and impressionable perhaps they did interpret Rush "laughing" at them the wrong way. Can't imagine like others here said Alex,Geddy and Neil being so openly disrespectful after what they have been through as a opening act..... But , didn't Robin Zander of Cheap Trick say they had a unpleasant experience with touring with Rush also? confused13.gif

I think Rush, at that time, were very much into blowing others away with their chops and musicianship. And probably looked at bands like The Runaways and Cheap Trick as just silly bar bands. Interviews that ive read, and the one they give right around the PeW sessions, they do sort of come across as elitist musician types.

Archived