Rush- Smartest band in the history of Rock?

GeminiRising79

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 30 2009, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 29 2009, 10:58 PM)
I always felt that the British Prog bands were the smartest. Yes, Crimson, ELP, Genesis. They really took music to another level, and the lyrical subject matter was way out there. But Rush is in that list as well. absolutely.

Great post and thread by the way. I love all those bands you mentioned too and they are very smart.

But I would say Rush is smarter and more together on all levels. Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake & Palmer have all had personnel changes and numerous factions within the bands. Rush have had absolutely none since John Rutsey and have avoided all the things these bands had; drug problems, groupies, divorces, people leaving, people coming back, the band itself breaking up only to reform again and again...

Rush is still the classiest band in the world.

the connection between alex neil and ged is almost on the the level of family,these guys enjoy each others company and dont risk losing that kinship by living in each others pockets.

each band member shows respect and high regard for the others,this is the key to longevity and the main reason the band are still around and making great music.

QUOTE (tel @ Nov 30 2009, 06:21 AM)
the connection between alex neil and ged is almost on the the level of family,these guys enjoy each others company and dont risk losing that kinship by living in each others pockets.
each band member shows respect and high regard for the others,this is the key to longevity and the main reason the band are still around and making great music.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

The Register is the one of the world's biggest online tech publications. Most Register readers are IT professionals - software engineers, database administrators, sysadmins, networking managers and so on, all the way up to CIOs. The Register covers the issues they face at work every day - in software, hardware, networking and IT security. The Register is also known for its "off-duty" articles, on science, tech culture, and cult columnists such as BOFH and Verity Stob, which reflect our readers' many personal interests.

There was a poll conducted in 2004 of what individuals favored as a musical act in their IT career field.

Do you play air guitar to MegaDeth?

The poll results came in where Rush came out on top as a favorite musical act.

Canadian pomp rock tops Reg music poll

This is an obvious but not surprising result as to how the band appeals to the techies and geeks.

Edited by RushFanForever

QUOTE (tel @ Nov 30 2009, 07:21 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 30 2009, 01:57 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 29 2009, 10:58 PM)
I always felt that the British Prog bands were the smartest. Yes, Crimson, ELP, Genesis. They really took music to another level, and the lyrical subject matter was way out there. But Rush is in that list as well. absolutely.

Great post and thread by the way. I love all those bands you mentioned too and they are very smart.

But I would say Rush is smarter and more together on all levels. Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake & Palmer have all had personnel changes and numerous factions within the bands. Rush have had absolutely none since John Rutsey and have avoided all the things these bands had; drug problems, groupies, divorces, people leaving, people coming back, the band itself breaking up only to reform again and again...

Rush is still the classiest band in the world.

They also are wise enough to avoid the arguments about how to split up the money. It's divided 3 ways, period. I think it's always been this way. No fighting over who did more work on the latest release etc.

"Dammit, Neil, we're doing ALL the promotional work for this. We deserve extra for getting out with the public and doing all the interviews."

"Yeah, but you guys LIKE that stuff. Besides, if we're going to get picky about that kind of stuff, you two can pony up for all the extra time I spent in the studio re-dubbing and fixing your screwups on Presto."

"Oh, yeah, well, if you wanna go back 20 years, then how about that time. . ."

Totally made-up scenario (just in case someone decides to make a rumor out of it), but agreeing on the 3-way cash split preempts those sorts of arguments.

Are we talking academic smarts or just smart in the way they treat each other and their career? I know Brian May is an astrophysicist, and Floyd met at University. All those British prog guys are well educated. Rush was smart in the way they handled themselves.

I think the guys in Rush are smart on all fronts. Clearly they are intelligent and while not schooled formally, they have been schooled through life experience. They have a strong work ethic, they are perfectionists and as rumour has it, they're great to work for/with.

Ego isn't a factor with them, at least insofar as being prima-donnas and being uber demanding. They pay their staff well, they get along with everyone they work with, they get along well with each other and have a general respect for everyone.

They are clearly great business men and have been well managed as well.

You don't stay together as a trio, making music for 30++ years without being smart on all fronts. Certainly their longevity and stability since 1974 has to be unprecidented in the rock world.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 30 2009, 04:11 PM)
Isn't Neil a high school dropout?

He is. But I'd put his mind up against any number of people who have advanced degrees.

Smart musically, smart lyrically, they don't stop growing and learning. They don't retread the same path over and over.

And yes, avoiding the "rock star" attitude. I got soooo tired of bands with thier binge and purge lifestyles.

It's clear to me that they are just 3 guys who have it all together.

I just get a strong sensation that I'll never see a headline on some web page that says:

"Geddy Lee, bassist and lead vocalist of the band "Rush" got all shitfaced, stoned and burned down a hotel today. This is the third time he's done that this month"

I would say pound for pound they really are just the best....good guys and the best music...and dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking rich!!! (I had never had occasion to say that until just this point) biggrin.gif

And if they tour and make another album again, they can have my money... 2.gif

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Nov 30 2009, 04:44 PM)

I just get a strong sensation that I'll never see a headline on some web page that says:

"Geddy Lee, bassist and lead vocalist of the band "Rush" got all shitfaced, stoned and burned down a hotel today.  This is the third time he's done that this month"

...or "Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel."

Oh wait...

Edited by Score Out

QUOTE (Score Out @ Nov 30 2009, 03:43 PM)

"Geddy Lee, bassist and lead vocalist of the band "Rush" got all shitfaced, stoned and burned down a hotel today.  This is the third time he's done that this month"

...or "Alex Zivojinovich, better known by his stage name Alex Lifeson, was arrested for what deputies described as drunken, violent behavior at the Naples Ritz-Carlton hotel."

Oh wait...

Or...some asshole was giving his kid a bunch of shit, so he stood up for him...(I think most of us would do that)

I think what I was getting at is that you would find that they don't do the "rock band" life like some of these people who do really, really dumb stuff...As a result, they are sharp, smart and able to continue playing and recording music MUCH further than most bands because of constant issues.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 30 2009, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 30 2009, 06:59 PM)
no.gif

Let me guess....Kiss?..am i right ? wink.gif

laugh.gif Nah. Well ,in the merch dept Hell yeah tongue.gif

Talking about Gene and Paul being smart, there is a difference between marketing and what *they* do, and a big one. Nuff said.

Never mind that the band could have gone away for good after what happened to Neil. I think the secret is that they get together, record, tour, take a short vacation from each other, tour some more, take a long vacation from each other, then get back together and start the next album. I know back in the 70s and 80s they would be continually touring and recording, but as the got older and started families, the time between albums would be longer. That's to be expected, though. It works for them, and hey if it keeps them making more music, I am for it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 29 2009, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Nov 29 2009, 03:45 PM)
Not to get all stereotypical here, but I have to wonder if their faith has something to do with the wise financial/business decisions they've made and life directions they've taken.

Plus Ged's large nose and Gene's circumcised dick. It all makes sense now!

sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

interesting thread.

are we talking smart or educated?

if it's educated then Queen via May is up there with his PhD.

If it's smart I would go with Tom Scholz of Boston. That guy is very sharp and fits the educated and smart bill. Look him up if you're unfamiliar with his accomplishments.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 30 2009, 09:05 PM)
interesting thread.
are we talking smart or educated?
if it's educated then Queen via May is up there with his PhD.
If it's smart I would go with Tom Scholz of Boston. That guy is very sharp and fits the educated and smart bill. Look him up if you're unfamiliar with his accomplishments.

Scholtz has a BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from MIT. Academically he blows away everyone else discussed in this thread in book smarts --- I think he worked for a while after school as an engineer too....

Wiki...

As a child, Scholz studied classical piano[5]. He also had a penchant for tinkering with everything from go-carts to model airplanes and was always building or designing.[4] A top student and a member of the varsity basketball team, he graduated from Ottawa Hills High School in 1965.[4] Prior to his musical career, Scholz received both a bachelor's degree (1969) and a master's degree (1970) in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and worked for Polaroid Corporation as a senior product design engineer.[4]

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Nov 30 2009, 07:18 PM)

Oh wait...

Or...some asshole was giving his kid a bunch of shit, so he stood up for him...(I think most of us would do that)

I think what I was getting at is that you would find that they don't do the "rock band" life like some of these people who do really, really dumb stuff...As a result, they are sharp, smart and able to continue playing and recording music MUCH further than most bands because of constant issues.

While I completely agree that Rush has generally managed to carry themselves very well over the years, I think it's been proven pretty clear that Alex and especially his son were far from blameless on that fateful night in Naples. It certainly went down quite a bit different than "some asshole giving his kid a bunch of shit."

QUOTE (Score Out @ Nov 30 2009, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Nov 30 2009, 07:18 PM)

Oh wait...

While I completely agree that Rush has generally managed to carry themselves very well over the years, I think it's been proven pretty clear that Alex and especially his son were far from blameless on that fateful night in Naples. It certainly went down quite a bit different than "some asshole giving his kid a bunch of shit."

Alex's son was acting like a douchebag - the cops were a little too rough afterwards when Alex stood up for his kid, but lets face it, Alex's kid caused that whole incident....