Star Wars

Slacker

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 21 2005, 02:02 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 21 2005, 07:46 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 21 2005, 08:44 AM)
The best Star Wars ever.........better than Empire.

The lightsaber duels.......i was druelling and just before the big yellow Star Wars bit came up, i had the same adrenaline rush before seeing Rush for the first time.

And i queued for 2 hours 40 mins and got the first ticket in my town!

No way! Better than 'Empire'?! Really?

Not to me...it was good, but not better than Empire. Better than Eps. 1, 2 and possibly 6?

Yes.

yes.gif I agree totally, I've just come back from the cinema, I thought they merged the story into Episode IV perfectly. I agree with Pedro regarding the character development. But you will never beat Empire or Episode IV no.gif

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 years and worth the wait..I to found this to be the best of all of them..

I really enjoyed the light humor, and the special effects , Forget about it!

Yoda Rules!!!!!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2005, 09:26 PM)
Store Wars rofl3.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That's Brilliant! applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

"Chewbrocolli" rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

My son and I were watching "Empire" and put it on pause to watch this!

This was the best out of all the films laugh.gif

trink39.gif Cheers Drumnut new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ May 21 2005, 03:26 PM)
Store Wars rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Cool. Drumnut, is that really you? laugh.gif

Seriously, I finally saw the movie today. Going at 4PM to the neighborhood theater sure does make a difference. No line, no crowd, and only $5. But no THX and such. I guess you do get what you pay for in some respects.

The Mr. and Mrs. Skywalker scenes were weak, as has been said here and elsewhere. A shame, because Natalie Portman is a phenomenal actress. (Absolutely great in Closer.) Good battle scenes and good effects, as was to be expected. This was the one prequel to see, I think. Kind of like the only part of a basketball game one needs to watch is the fourth quarter. I refused to see the first two prequels. I felt it was a blatant money grab, and there really wasn't much to compel me to see those movies. The transformation of Darth Vader was the thing I wanted to see. It could have been better written, I think. They must not have developed the Anakin Skywalker character enough over the previous two prequels.

All in all, while I enjoyed watching it, it still doesn't compare to the original trilogy. Just me, I guess. bolt.gif

I just saw Revenge of the Sith yesterday. It was good, certainly much better that the trash that passed for the first two prequels and The Return of the Jedi. The Empire Strikes Back still remains as the best of them all - at least to me.

I must admit I may never understand the choice of Hayden Christenden for the role of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. This guy is just terrible. Granted, Mark Hammill isn't exactly Laurence Olivier either, but when Star Wars first came out, the acting hardly mattered. I know that for me, I was just blown away by the story and the special effects. When Star Wars premiered, I was at the "perfect age" - that is a 12 year old boy.

Also, George Lucas never really showed how Anakin became disenchanted enough to turn to the Dark Side. So, Anakin was not granted Master status on the Jedi Council. That's supposed to piss him off? He was appointed by the cunning Palpatine. All of it together just doesn't add up.

One great treat during the whole episodic run has been the fact that that british guy who played Darth Sidious in the "orginals" was here again and seemed like he was exactly the same. That's amazing. Twenty five years have passed and yet he still sends shivers up my spine.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 22 2005, 04:41 AM)
Ian McDiarmid is a great actor! And a great choice for the Emporer.

Yeah, that guy! He is a good actor and definitely the one and only Emperor Palpatine. I was amazed at how little he has aged. He must be using the Dark Side of the Force, the wily bastard!

I think he is a more evil presence than Darth Vader by far. I get chills when I see him shoot the bolts of lightning from his fingertips - the look on his face is pure unmitigated evil. Also, the way he says "Skywalker" in the Return of the Jedi just chills me to the bone - and I'm not easily spooked. He's one of the most evil characters I have ever seen on the big screen.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 22 2005, 04:41 AM)
Ian McDiarmid is a great actor! And a great choice for the Emporer.

It's a shame though, we'll never be able to look forward to a new Star Wars film ever again fists crying.gif

He was definitely the star of this movie.

As for more, it wouldn't surprise me if they found a way to make Star Wars VII. There's too much money to be made off this franchise for them not to try at some point.

QUOTE (anagramking @ May 21 2005, 09:49 AM)
I saw the title of this thread and it reminded me of Bill Murray's little ditty on SNL. Here's the link to it:

http://asmallvictory.net/murray.mp3

lyrics to this can be found here:

http://mahawa.jw-music.net/mp3/mp3_murray.htm

I've listened to this I don't know how many times now, and I still think it's hilarious.

QUOTE (war2112 @ May 22 2005, 04:21 AM)
I must admit I may never understand the choice of Hayden Christenden for the role of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. This guy is just terrible. Granted, Mark Hammill isn't exactly Laurence Olivier either, but when Star Wars first came out, the acting hardly mattered. I know that for me, I was just blown away by the story and the special effects. When Star Wars premiered, I was at the "perfect age" - that is a 12 year old boy.

dude, i actually thought he was really good..of course he wasn't perfect, but he was still pretty freakin awesome, IMO! especially during the dark, deep, crying scenes that were plentiful in this movie. wink.gif

and boy, do i see what you're saying about the acting not mattering in the first few..the storyline in the prequels was supposed to focus more on the characters, & it seemed like Lucas kinda took his attention off the characters & put more focus on effects. whereas, the original's storylines focused more on the plot developing & the adventure & the graphics, instead of character development like we're seeing now. despite all that, it was still a pretty good movie.

Also, George Lucas never really showed how Anakin became disenchanted enough to turn to the Dark Side. So, Anakin was not granted Master status on the Jedi Council. That's supposed to piss him off? He was appointed by the cunning Palpatine. All of it together just doesn't add up.

i thought it wasn't so much that, but the fact that they didn't trust him, & with Palpatine, he could supposedly keep Padme alive. the thing that i think turned Anakin to the Dark Side was the fact that he had more to lose than any of the other Jedi, which was why the Jedi aren't supposed to be married..because fear of loss leads to the Dark Side..which is exactly where Anakin went! that was my take on it..not because he wasn't granted the rank of Master on the Council, although that really kinda seperated the Council from his trust. i think he almost thought of them as traitors after that incident, but idk. somebody get that kid a special test! http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleye/rolleye11.gif

One great treat during the whole episodic run has been the fact that that british guy who played Darth Sidious in the "orginals" was here again and seemed like he was exactly the same. That's amazing. Twenty five years have passed and yet he still sends shivers up my spine.

AMEN!! i read a review that said something to the effect of "his words are so slimy, you'll feel like you need a shower afterwards!" & i couldn't agree more..he's SO creepyyy!! ohmy.gif he's probably the best actor though..i love the scenes close to the end when he gives Anakin his orders, & his cloak is casting shadows on his face..he looks almost EXACTLY like he did in the original movies!! SIDIOUS ROCKED OUT!! \m/ cool.gif laugh.gif

ok guys, so that was my two cents wink.gif

Good analysis, 007.

Did anybody else notice that the way Anakin "saved" Palpatine very strongly parallels how Darth Vader saved Luke Skywalker in Episode VI? The opposite decision was made.

The conversion still seemed to happen too quickly, tho 007's observations are accurate. Inadequate writing, I think. I missed the first two prequels. Was there doubt being raised during those films?

I've finally figured out why I, and so many others, don't buy Anakin's sudden plunge into the dark side. Again, it goes back to Lucas' failure to properly develop characters in the first two prequels. Let me explain....

Luke decides to kill Mace Windu in that instant only because of one thing.. his love for his wife, Padme. Think about it.. for those of you who are married, if you knew that your pregnant wife was going to die in childbirth, and she truly was the love of your life, then you would do anything to save her.. even force yourself to believe the lies of Darth Sidious. However, this whole scenario is predicated on your deep love for you wife.. and that's where lucas has failed. For you see, the love story between Anakin and Padme was done soo poorly, and was so forced and one dimensional, that I didn't really believe they were that much in love. Frankly, it felt as if Anakin was only f***ing her because she was hot.. and that he'd dump her for the next best bimbo to materialize out of hyperspace. I never really believed the whole love bit between those two.. and therefore, when he chopped of Windu's arms instead of allowing Darth Sidious to die, it was incredibly akward.

I understand that one would turn to the dark side to save one's deepest love; but Lucas' failure to create that love almost ruined an otherwise outstanding movie for me. That's why this movie is not better than IV and V.

Edited by pedro2112

well, I saw episode III today.. It was very entertaining.. But I also was not completely satisfied with Anakin's move to the Dark side.. One minute he was like "what have I done?" The next minute, he is bowing before Sidious... confused13.gif Granted, throughout Episodes II and III, we were shown glimses of Anakin's anger, etc... So we knew he had it in him, but it just seems strange that in one scene he reports Palpatine as the Sith Lord to the concil (Mace Windu) then he disobeys his order to stay put and shows up to "save" Palpatine.. confused13.gif The whole thing just didn't seem right.

I guess it is true that Fear leads to the Dark side... And it was fear of Padme's death that led him to pursue it further.. But I just think he accepts his fate as if that's what's he's suppose to do...

I wish Lucus would have set that whole thing a little better, but other than that it was a good film, not great, but good.... Anakin turning to the Dark side is what we all wanted to see, I think he dropped the ball on that one.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 23 2005, 01:23 AM)
well, I saw episode III today.. It was very entertaining.. But I also was not completely satisfied with Anakin's move to the Dark side.. One minute he was like "what have I done?" The next minute, he is bowing before Sidious... confused13.gif Granted, throughout Episodes II and III, we were shown glimses of Anakin's anger, etc... So we knew he had it in him, but it just seems strange that in one scene he reports Palpatine as the Sith Lord to the concil (Mace Windu) then he disobeys his order to stay put and shows up to "save" Palpatine.. confused13.gif The whole thing just didn't seem right.

I guess it is true that Fear leads to the Dark side... And it was fear of Padme's death that led him to pursue it further.. But I just think he accepts his fate as if that's what's he's suppose to do...

I wish Lucus would have set that whole thing a little better, but other than that it was a good film, not great, but good.... Anakin turning to the Dark side is what we all wanted to see, I think he dropped the ball on that one.

see my comments on that exact subject in the post immediately before yours. We must have been typing at the same time!

oh, and Haden Christansen is just an awful actor.. It's so hard to ignore the bad acting in the last two movies.... I just cringed every time he opened his mouth.. Samual L Jackson was pretty bad too.

The special effects were cool, but a bit over the top.. How much computer annimated sh*t can we put in one film? My god!

Over all, it was entertaining but not as good as I was hearing or hoping for..

trink39.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2005, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ May 23 2005, 01:23 AM)
well, I saw episode III today..  It was very entertaining..  But I also was not completely satisfied with Anakin's move to the Dark side..    One minute he was like "what have I done?"  The next minute, he is bowing before Sidious...        confused13.gif    Granted, throughout Episodes II and III, we were shown glimses of Anakin's anger, etc...  So we knew he had it in him, but it just seems strange that in one scene he reports Palpatine as the Sith Lord to the concil (Mace Windu) then he disobeys his order to stay put and shows up to "save" Palpatine..    confused13.gif      The whole thing just didn't seem right.

I guess it is true that Fear leads to the Dark side...    And it was fear of Padme's death that led him to pursue it further..    But I just think he accepts his fate as if that's what's he's suppose to do...   

I wish Lucus would have set that whole thing a little better, but other than that it was a good film, not great, but good....    Anakin turning to the Dark side is what we all wanted to see, I think he dropped the ball on that one.

see my comments on that exact subject in the post immediately before yours. We must have been typing at the same time!

LOL, I type very slow!!! laugh.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 22 2005, 10:21 PM)
I've finally figured out why I, and so many others, don't buy Anakin's sudden plunge into the dark side. Again, it goes back to Lucas' failure to properly develop characters in the first two prequels. Let me explain....

Luke decides to kill Mace Windu in that instant only because of one thing.. his love for his wife, Padme. Think about it.. for those of you who are married, if you knew that your pregnant wife was going to die in childbirth, and she truly was the love of your life, then you would do anything to save her.. even force yourself to believe the lies of Darth Sidious. However, this whole scenario is predicated on your deep love for you wife.. and that's where lucas has failed. For you see, the love story between Anakin and Padme was done soo poorly, and was so forced and one dimensional, that I didn't really believe they were that much in love. Frankly, it felt as if Anakin was only f***ing her because she was hot.. and that he'd dump her for the next best bimbo to materialize out of hyperspace. I never really believed the whole love bit between those two.. and therefore, when he chopped of Windu's arms instead of allowing Darth Sidious to die, it was incredibly akward.

I understand that one would turn to the dark side to save one's deepest love; but Lucas' failure to create that love almost ruined an otherwise outstanding movie for me. That's why this movie is not better than IV and V.

I think a lot of that was because Haden's acting was so bad, that no one really believed he loved Padme that much. That part of the story was poorly developed, I totally agree. And why did Padme die? That really wasn't explained very well.. "She doesn't have the will to live..." ??? What the hell is that? She died from a broken heart? Again, it would have been more believable if their love thingy had been developed better..