TV Shows Cancelled Too Soon

rushgoober

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Commander In Chief"

Being a great fan of political dramas (especially the late, great "The West Wing"), I though CiC showed some promise during its 1st and only series in 2005/6.

The writing wasn't as good as TWW by a long way, but the characters were interesting if a little quirky. Perhaps another season would have let it found its feet.

Alas

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 6 2009, 11:16 AM)

Just remembered: the bizarre and unique Chris Elliot sitcom Get a Life.  He's a thirty-year-old who still lives with his parents and works as a paperboy.  Truly surreal plotlines each week, and sometimes he'll be killed (once or even multiple times) in an episode only to continue in the next scene or episode.  (Pre-Kenny from South Park.)  It lasted two or three seasons, and yes, they slipped in quality the last year, but it was still a hysterical show for people with a weird sense-of-humor.

Entertainment Weekly lists it as one of the "25 Greatest Cult TV Shows Ever."

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/060315/92428__chris_l.jpg

Not sure if that show was cancelled too soon since it was hit-and-miss. BUT, when it was funny it was all-out hilarious. I remember this 1 episode where he was being put through some kind of mind control experiment ala A Clockwork Orange ....jeez, that was comedy laugh.gif

ALSO, in the show intro, it was able to use R.E.M.'s usually intolerable song Stand in a funny way

Remember, all of these shows were cancelled for one reason - they SUCKED.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 6 2009, 07:29 PM)

incorrect. i stand by my original answer of Freaks & Geeks.

on the other end, i don't think some shows continue because they're good. there are other reasons possible. but hell, what's good anyways? i loathe reality tv shows but those bastards seem to muliply exponentially every time i return to the states

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 6 2009, 03:29 AM)

VERY often it's just low ratings, not because a show isn't good or even great, it just didn't have time to find its audience. That would be like saying all movies that did poorly at the box office are bad movies.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 6 2009, 07:37 AM)

VERY often it's just low ratings, not because a show isn't good or even great, it just didn't have time to find its audience. That would be like saying all movies that did poorly at the box office are bad movies.

Its similar to why certain bands sell a shitload of albums and others dont. Bon Jovi has sold more records than Rush, but are they better?..No. Same with shows.

Freaks and Geeks is one of my favorite shows. I remember finding it back when it first aired and couldnt stop raving about it. I recall the first episode , where they had " Running with the Devil" playing, and knew it was going to be good.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 6 2009, 05:44 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 6 2009, 07:37 AM)

Its similar to why certain bands sell a shitload of albums and others dont. Bon Jovi has sold more records than Rush, but are they better?..No. Same with shows.

Freaks and Geeks is one of my favorite shows. I remember finding it back when it first aired and couldnt stop raving about it. I recall the first episode , where they had " Running with the Devil" playing, and knew it was going to be good.

Reminds me of a post I did in another thread:

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 13 2009, 05:11 AM)
Some interesting information from a Roger Ebert review 5 years after the movie came out:

"The Shawshank Redemption" premiered at the Toronto Film Festival in September 1994, and opened a few weeks later. It got good reviews but did poor business (its $18 million original gross didn't cover costs; it took in only another $10 million after winning seven Oscar nominations, including best picture).

There wasn't much going for it: It had a terrible title, it was a "prison drama" and women don't like those, it contained almost no action, it starred actors who were respected but not big stars, and it was long at 142 minutes. Clearly this was a movie that needed word-of-mouth to find an audience, and indeed business was slowly but steadily growing when it was yanked from theaters. If it had been left to find its way, it might have continued to build and run for months, but that's not what happened.

Instead, in one of the most remarkable stories in home video history, it found its real mass audience on tapes and discs, and through TV screenings. Within five years, "Shawshank" was a phenomenon, a video best seller and renter that its admirers feel they've discovered for themselves. When the Wall Street Journal ran an article about the "Shawshank" groundswell in April 1999, it was occupying first place in the Internet Movie Database worldwide vote of the 250 best films; it's usually in the top five."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 5 2009, 10:44 PM)
Celebrity Poker Showdown. What was it? Two seasons? Celebrites playing no-limit Texas Hold'Em for charity. You still see World Series of Poker on cable stations, but it doesn't really interest me; I need to see celebrities playing.

Why'd they cancel it? Because the presence of popular celebrities might encourage young people to begin gambling?

I do not get the appeal of watching people play cards on TV. I don't even want to watch people play cards in person. If I'm watching TV and that's all that's on, I take it as a sign that I need to go find a good book.

Just my taste. YMMV.

QUOTE (Mara @ Nov 6 2009, 10:59 AM)
Celebrity Poker Showdown.  What was it?  Two seasons?  Celebrites playing no-limit Texas Hold'Em for charity.  You still see World Series of Poker on cable stations, but it doesn't really interest me; I need to see celebrities playing.

Why'd they cancel it?  Because the presence of popular celebrities might encourage young people to begin gambling?

I do not get the appeal of watching people play cards on TV. I don't even want to watch people play cards in person. If I'm watching TV and that's all that's on, I take it as a sign that I need to go find a good book.

Just my taste. YMMV.

I'm with you Mara. I don't get it either.

One recent show that aired this past summer on NBC apparently hasn't been picked up..."The Philanthropist"

I believe the 8 episodes that aired over the summer are available on hulu.com, in case anyone wants to check it out for themselves.

QUOTE (Natch @ Nov 6 2009, 10:32 AM)
Celebrity Poker Showdown.  What was it?  Two seasons?  Celebrites playing no-limit Texas Hold'Em for charity.  You still see World Series of Poker on cable stations, but it doesn't really interest me; I need to see celebrities playing.

Why'd they cancel it?  Because the presence of popular celebrities might encourage young people to begin gambling?

Just my taste. YMMV.

I like playing Hold'Em and can get tips from watching others. But watching the "real" poker masters isn't interesting (I agree with you there), so I liked watching the celebrities.

The celebrities usually make it fun, and actually there can be quite a lot of dramatic tension during the game.

Edited by GeddyRulz

Just my taste. YMMV.

Im baffled by the interest in watching people play cards as well. I think cards is the most overrated form of entertainment. Bores me to tears. Id rather watch a movie.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 7 2009, 12:02 AM)

Just my taste. YMMV.

Im baffled by the interest in watching people play cards as well. I think cards is the most overrated form of entertainment. Bores me to tears. Id rather watch a movie.

Watching it, especially when a group of celebrities are playing and making jokes, is a hell of a lot more entertaining than watchng ANYBODY play golf!

As for playing, to each is own. I think it's a lot of fun... at least, when gambling is involved!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 6 2009, 05:26 AM)

Just remembered: the bizarre and unique Chris Elliot sitcom Get a Life.  He's a thirty-year-old who still lives with his parents and works as a paperboy.  Truly surreal plotlines each week, and sometimes he'll be killed (once or even multiple times) in an episode only to continue in the next scene or episode.  (Pre-Kenny from South Park.)  It lasted two or three seasons, and yes, they slipped in quality the last year, but it was still a hysterical show for people with a weird sense-of-humor.

Not sure if that show was cancelled too soon since it was hit-and-miss. BUT, when it was funny it was all-out hilarious. I remember this 1 episode where he was being put through some kind of mind control experiment ala A Clockwork Orange ....jeez, that was comedy laugh.gif

ALSO, in the show intro, it was able to use R.E.M.'s usually intolerable song Stand in a funny way

Yeah, I have the complete series on VHS box set, thought it was great.

But last season episodes were completely strange. fing.gif smile.gif

One I really liked they canceled on NBC was Buffalo Bill staring Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis. Dabney played a Buffalo, New York talk show host who had a Archie Bunker ego style personality. Not exactly politically correct, remember one of Bill's guest on his show was a native American who talked about a craft show coming to Buffalo - "So every one come down will have a gay old time!" Bill snapped and said "Wait a minute, is this what it's about?, Homosexual Indians prancing around abusing the old fire water? The guest looking stunned, ....."It's a craft show". Bill answered.. GET OUT OF HERE THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW WERE NOT GOING TO PROMOTE YOUR PERVERSE LIFESTYLE!!!" laugh.gif

Earth 2

The theme of human exploration and journey is set 200 years in the future on a new planet with mystical inhabitants. Being on early Sundays and often being pre-empted by late-running football games hurt its attempts to gain an audience.

SeaQuest

Humanity begins to colonize the oceans and a hi-tech submarine acts as guardian and security. Sadly, this one started out good with great ideas, but then the writing started to fail.

Freaks and Geeks was instantly the first answer to pop in my head. It's one of the greatest shows ever.

Also, JPod lasted only one season. It was a Canadian show based on the wonderful and hilarious book of the same name by Douglas Coupland. It's about a team of video game designers whose last names all start with J.

http://sharetv.org/images/jpod_ca-show.jpg

QUOTE (softfilter @ Nov 7 2009, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 6 2009, 05:26 AM)

Yeah, I have the complete series on VHS box set, thought it was great.

But last season episodes were completely strange. fing.gif smile.gif

One I really liked they canceled on NBC was Buffalo Bill staring Dabney Coleman and Geena Davis. Dabney played a Buffalo, New York talk show host who had a Archie Bunker ego style personality. Not exactly politically correct, remember one of Bill's guest on his show was a native American who talked about a craft show coming to Buffalo - "So every one come down will have a gay old time!" Bill snapped and said "Wait a minute, is this what it's about?, Homosexual Indians prancing around abusing the old fire water? The guest looking stunned, ....."It's a craft show". Bill answered.. GET OUT OF HERE THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW WERE NOT GOING TO PROMOTE YOUR PERVERSE LIFESTYLE!!!" laugh.gif

totally sounds like Get A Life humor laugh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 6 2009, 06:37 AM)

Programs that don't generate ratings suck. It's that plain and simple.

If it doesn't suck, then it usually grabs the attention of the masses, thus making it a success.

You see?

cool.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 8 2009, 03:46 AM)

If it doesn't suck, then it usually grabs the attention of the masses, thus making it a success.

You see?

cool.gif

By your argument, Cheers "sucked" for most of its first season.

It started very very poorly as far as ratings go, and was in last place. Luckily, the network stayed with it long enough for an audience to catch on to it, and it became a consistent ratings-winner. It was a great show all along, ratings or not.

These days, networks wouldn't give a show like this the time to build an audience. A few weeks in the ratings cellar, and it would be gone. So that's what we're looking at: quality shows that, for whatever reason, didn't find a mass audience. It's not always because "they suck."

It's the same with musical artists. If your first album doesn't sell, you may not get a shot at a second. If you ARE given a second album and THAT doesn't sell either, you're probably a goner. If Rush had started today, they wouldn't have gotten to the 2112 stage; they would've been given the axe before that. Does that mean they "sucked"?

EDIT: I also question your faith that quality programming will be discovered and watched by "the masses." There are quality documentaries on PBS, but "the masses" are far more interested in watching Nascar, so they give THAT the high ratings. Would that mean that Nascar is "better" (or at least "sucks less") than the PBS documentaries??

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 8 2009, 05:46 PM)

You see?

cool.gif

You're joking right? unsure.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 8 2009, 03:09 AM)

You see?

cool.gif

Not at all, I only deal in facts.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 8 2009, 06:14 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 8 2009, 03:09 AM)

You see?

cool.gif

Not at all, I only deal in facts.

THEN you mean that every show eventually ends up sucking since EVERYTHING is cancelled at some point? And every show that has high ratings doesn't suck? Does your theory only apply to tv shows or does it include film and music?

I could probably light my balls on fire, film it, put it on youtube, and generate a lot of attention from the masses as a result. But I wouldn't call that a success or not sucking.

...oh, what a thrill ! Goodness, gracious... tongue.gif