Best album by Dio?

GeddyRulz

What was the best studio album by Dio?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best studio album by Dio?

• Holy Diver (1983)
    • The Last in Line (1984)
    • Sacred Heart (1985)
    • Dream Evil (1987)
    • Lock up the Wolves (1990)
    • Strange Highways (1994)
    • Angry Machines (1996)
    • Magica (2000)
    • Killing the Dragon (2002)
    • Master of the Moon (2004)

Can you tell I'm on a Dio kick? tongue.gif

This is tough for me, so I'll pick after I've given it more thought. (Either "Holy Diver" or "Last in Line.")

Toughie, as I loved early Dio. Really need to catch up on his latter discography. Last album I bought of his was "Angry Machines", which I was really quite disappointed with.

Anyway, I went for "Holy Diver" over "Sacred Heart".

"Diver" is littered with great songs, including "Stand Up and Shout", Rainbow in the Dark" and of course best of all "Don't Talk to Strangers"

QUOTE (tick @ Oct 8 2009, 04:57 AM)
This takes me back to the New Haven Collesium in 1984 !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOJYP27SRs

1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif  1022.gif

I was there! yes.gif

Ah, Dio! - the master of pseudo-spirituality who could weave fantastic tales that seemed to overflow with meaning and depth, but actually meant nothing under close scrutiny.

That said, I used to be a big fan (I was hooked after seeing the video for Rainbow in the Dark), and I saw him twice at the above-mentioned New Haven Colisseum in the 80's! Always a great show...

The only albums I owned were the first two, so Holy Diver takes it for me. Also great work with Rainbow and Sabbath...

I love everything but i have to go with The Last in Line

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 8 2009, 07:11 AM)
Ah, Dio! - the master of pseudo-spirituality who could weave fantastic tales that seemed to overflow with meaning and depth, but actually meant nothing under close scrutiny.

Yeah, I noticed the lyrics are pretty simplistic at their core. Listening along, I don't hear a lot of clever wordsmithing....

When there's lightning

You know it always brings me down

'Cause it's free,

And I see

That it's me

Who's lost and never found

Ummm... that sounds good passing by, but what does the self-realization of being "lost" have to do with lightning?? It doesn't really seem to mean anything, and a lot of his other songs have the same simplicity and absence of real meaning.

That said, I was reading his lyrics in the middle of the night last night - after starting this poll - and actually got scared. A few too many references to "the Beast" and being damned to Hell... and he seems serious about it, while other Metal acts are just posers about it. In the daylight, I've always liked "Last in Line" because it allows for either outcome in the afterlife: "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine." Maybe we're divine and going to Heaven, after all! Maybe.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 8 2009, 06:24 AM)

Yeah, I noticed the lyrics are pretty simplistic at their core. Listening along, I don't hear a lot of clever wordsmithing....

When there's lightning

'Cause it's free,

And I see

That it's me

Ummm... that sounds good passing by, but what does the self-realization of being "lost" have to do with lightning?? It doesn't really seem to mean anything, and a lot of his other songs have the same simplicity and absence of real meaning.

That said, I was reading his lyrics in the middle of the night last night - after starting this poll - and actually got scared. A few too many references to "the Beast" and being damned to Hell... and he seems serious about it, while other Metal acts are just posers about it. In the daylight, I've always liked "Last in Line" because it allows for either outcome in the afterlife: "We'll know for the first time if we're evil or divine." Maybe we're divine and going to Heaven, after all! Maybe.

Some of his lyrics are pretty menacing, agreed. There's a little too many references to evil for my tastes, and he does seem to mean it.

Still, even though his lyrics when analyzed become kind of meaningless, they often SOUND really cool, and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than say AC/DC lyrics (not to put down AC/DC who are still way fun).

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 8 2009, 08:29 AM)
Some of his lyrics are pretty menacing, agreed. There's a little too many references to evil for my tastes, and he does seem to mean it.

trink39.gif

Still, even though his lyrics when analyzed become kind of meaningless, they often SOUND really cool, and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than say AC/DC lyrics (not to put down AC/DC who are still way fun).

trink39.gif

I agree; Dio's stuff sounds great going by, perhaps because of his care with vocal melodies. He writes to suit his vocal style, which by the way was probably the most influential vocal styling in metal. I also agree that his songs have more "depth" than the Cock Rock simplicity of bands like AC/DC. (Go ahead, put down AC/DC! God knows I do it all the time!)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 8 2009, 09:24 AM)

When there's lightning

'Cause it's free,

And I see

That it's me

Everything makes sense when you're on drugs. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 9 2009, 03:55 AM)
I also agree that his songs have more "depth" than the Cock Rock simplicity of bands like AC/DC.  (Go ahead, put down AC/DC!  God knows I do it all the time!)

So what. There's no pretense about them, they just do what they do extremely well. Just like the Stones, there will always be a need for AC/DC rocknroll - end of story.

Dio = 1022.gif

That is all we need to know

The first two albums get all the votes. No surprise. Everyone loves those first two Dio albums. Hell, I don't even care which of them bests the other in the poll; they're both worthy. 1022.gif

Archived