Should Rush go Independent/ Self-Released

The Owl

As many of you know Rush recently finished up their contract with Atlantic Records.. the last release with the label being "Retrospective 3"..

And with recent interviews it seems almost a certainty that we will be receiving a new Rush album within at most 2 years! 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

So... As Rush are no longer signed with a label at the moment, what is the possibility of Rush going through a smaller independent label or a completely self released album?

There are 2 routes that can be taken... they can do as Steven Wilson did with his solo album, what Spock's Beard is doing with their new album, and what Marillion have done in the past

- Where the album is released through a smaller independent label, or completely self-released a few months before any digital or retail release... then sign a label just to distribute the album for retail a few months later..

The other possible route is the Radiohead method taken for the album InRainbows... allow free album downloads a few months before retail release, and see if the fans will donate if they want to. Then do a retail release later.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like them to take the first route mentioned... I would like a limited edition or pre-release method... that seems to work well for the artists who have done it... It creates buzz for the retail release..

And if Rush were to sign with another label, I would hope they would sign with a smaller label such as "Inside Out" or "Roadrunner" who seem to care more about their artists than the major labels.

I thought Inside Out was almost... gone. unsure.gif Well, but I guess Rush have a lot more money than Spock's Beard, who really have no money... well Spock's Beard have 400-1000 people at their concerts, Rush have about 10000. This is a big difference. Even at the Marillion concert I visited were only 1000 people and it was far from sold out...

So I guess you can't compare that. I guess Rush will be able to record their album on their own and then sell it somehow. Or they'll find another record label, because a label is useful for other things, too. The guys should concentrate on the music only because they surely can afford it... cool.gif

Rush will probably end up going with Rounder Records who is a distributor of the 'Rush In Rio', 'R30', 'Snakes and Arrows Live' DVD's, along with Neil's 'Anatomy of a Drum Solo DVD' and his book 'Roadshow'.

The interviewer from

, brought up the discussion of Rounder Records and Geddy took offense to it since the band was signed to Atlantic at that time.

If I thought it would result in better music, I'd say for sure they should go independent, but as far as I can tell, Rush have so much artistic freedom that it would be virtually the same album no matter how it was released or distributed.

As long as it's produced, mixed and remastered well, and as long as it's great material, I don't care what company releases it...

I'm not really sure if it matters much at this point. A new Rush album is basically going to sell what it's going to sell. If there's a catchy single (a la Far Cry) it will sell a little less than Snakes & Arrows did and if there's not a great single (a la One Little Victory) then it will sell a fair amount less than Snakes & Arrows did. In either case, there's a core fanbase that will buy it with a small incremental increased based upon a good single and that's pretty much it. No one's going to promote the hell out of a new Rush release at this stage of the game as there's little incentive to.

they prob will go with Roadrunner

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 8 2009, 01:37 PM)
they prob will go with Roadrunner

like I said, I would like them to see them go the solo route... but as others have said... that's not in Rush's best interest...... No matter what they do they will have musical freedom..

Roadrunner has alot of history of taking care of their artists.. both on artistic freedom, and promotion of their artists... Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Opeth all have found comfortable homes with Roadrunner...

Roadrunner would be the wisest route.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Sep 8 2009, 11:32 AM)
I'm not really sure if it matters much at this point. A new Rush album is basically going to sell what it's going to sell. If there's a catchy single (a la Far Cry) it will sell a little less than Snakes & Arrows did and if there's not a great single (a la One Little Victory) then it will sell a fair amount less than Snakes & Arrows did. In either case, there's a core fanbase that will buy it with a small incremental increased based upon a good single and that's pretty much it. No one's going to promote the hell out of a new Rush release at this stage of the game as there's little incentive to.

goodpost.gif Pretty much this.

It likely will be Rounder if any!

They won't need to negotiate things for a while anyway. I wouldn't expect Rush to enter the studio yet.....my gut says 2011 or 2012 and a 2012 or 2013 tour.

Geddy and Alex will probably do solo projects and guest appear in the mean time.

Archived