Last Tour? Says Who?

Nootch

Okay, I don't post here much or even read the forum daily, but I keep seeing posts that speculate that Rush's next tour will be their last. Where does that come from? Who has said that? I'm confused. confused13.gif

It's mostly just logic and presumption. By the time the next tour ends the guys will be just about 60, the time between projects seems to grow and grow, it's no secret that Neil HATES touring, and their collective enthusiasm for Rush seems to keep diminishing. If the next tour was their final I can't imagine it would be a 3-month thing...I'm sure their would multiple legs with long breaks in between...but let's say 2011-2012 are tour years, it's just hard to imagine them coming back to start the album/tour cycle again in 2015 or 2016 when they're 65.

If you see 4 or 5 shows in Toronto on the schedule, i would say that is their last tour. Neil has let it be known he does not want to tour after he hits 60. He has other interests, plus a baby now to occupy his time. I'm saving money for Toronto on the next tour because i think that will be the last tour. JMO.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 21 2009, 01:39 PM)
If you see 4 or 5 shows in Toronto on the schedule, i would say that is their last tour. Neil has let it be known he does not want to tour after he hits 60. He has other interests, plus a baby now to occupy his time. I'm saving money for Toronto on the next tour because i think that will be the last tour. JMO.

I'd guess a final tour would look something like the S&A tour...a US leg, then some international shows, then back a bunch of months later for a final round of shows. I'm sure they would announce the final leg as being "the end" both to give fans a heads up and to generate about 50% more revenue. I'm also sure the final show would be in Toronto.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Aug 21 2009, 01:45 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 21 2009, 01:39 PM)

I'd guess a final tour would look something like the S&A tour...a US leg, then some international shows, then back a bunch of months later for a final round of shows. I'm sure they would announce the final leg as being "the end" both to give fans a heads up and to generate about 50% more revenue. I'm also sure the final show would be in Toronto.

No way. S & A was a monster tour and they will never do a tour that size again.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Aug 21 2009, 11:06 AM)
It's mostly just logic and presumption. By the time the next tour ends the guys will be just about 60, the time between projects seems to grow and grow, it's no secret that Neil HATES touring, and their collective enthusiasm for Rush seems to keep diminishing. If the next tour was their final I can't imagine it would be a 3-month thing...I'm sure their would multiple legs with long breaks in between...but let's say 2011-2012 are tour years, it's just hard to imagine them coming back to start the album/tour cycle again in 2015 or 2016 when they're 65.

Yeah, I guess that is pretty logical. I guess I'm one of those who don't want it to end. I lost touch with the band for quite awhile and came back when Snakes and Arrows came out and now I'm a slappy again.

Sadly....I think this next one is it.

I think Rush will tour again with a new album then take a short break and then do a selective second leg.

They will then take a few years off and then launch a "Farewell To Kings" Tour. This will be their last tour.

Final show in Toronto.

I will be there with a bunch of you.

QUOTE (Nootch @ Aug 21 2009, 10:39 AM)
Okay, I don't post here much or even read the forum daily, but I keep seeing posts that speculate that Rush's next tour will be their last. Where does that come from? Who has said that? I'm confused. confused13.gif

I don't know, frankly. This particular topic is kind of a "pet-peeve" of mine. Rumors of Rush's imminent break up have been flying around since the 80's. While some of the reasoning sounds logical what all the speculators fails to consider is the Human factor. No one can truly know what's on another person's mind. Neil has complained about touring and the fans for decades, yet he keeps coming back. Neil Peart is not like Gene Simmons, who's only in it for the $$$! He reached the point of literally being able to do whatever he damned well pleases a long time ago. Neil may hate touring and all that, but he has made it clear that he loves to play. He gets a great deal of satisfaction from a good performance. That's not speculation, that's directly from the horse's mouth! And yet, despite all that, plus all the talk about the next project, there will still be those who will forever be convinced that Rush is calling it quits any day now. As stated earlier, I think a lot of it has to do with insecurity. I mean, Rush's music is so far above and beyond every one else, that's it's hard to imagine anyone keeping that up for an entire life time. I can see that. But until they come right out and say "we're done, Rush is no more", or get so old that they can no longer play (which, if you ask me, is still a long way off) I prefer to remain optimistic. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 21 2009, 07:50 AM)
No one, just fearful Rush fans who want them to be immortal.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif Exactly, I hope they tour more but if not thats fine. They are not getting any younger and life goes on. 2.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 21 2009, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Aug 21 2009, 07:50 AM)
No one, just fearful Rush fans who want them to be immortal.

laugh.gif rofl3.gif Exactly, I hope they tour more but if not thats fine. They are not getting any younger and life goes on. 2.gif 1022.gif trink39.gif

Agreed. trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 21 2009, 11:00 AM)
i think their next will be their last imo.

Why?

I don't think it will be, but I think what would extend the life of the band is for Alex and Geddy to do solo albums and let Neil stay home. Then when he is ready do another album and tour.

Please don't tell me that this is the last tour for The Who!!

Signed,

"All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" cool10.gif

"Who's Last" is a great record. 1022.gif

Maybe The Who should open for RUSH on the next tour.

Remember that wild rumor when Keith Moon died that Neil was going to leave Rush and take over the drumming for Pete Townshend and Co?

Crazy bullshit rumors rule.

RUSH ON!

Geddy did hint somewhat seriously and jokingly possibly about the next tour where Neil really has joined the band now. He used the phrase "one more tour" and Neil is part of the band.

Alex and Geddy would now consider putting him in the press shots and pay him properly for serving his 35 year apprenticeship as the new guy in the band, LOL.

It made it sound like it was their last.

This was on Alex and Geddy's appearance on VH1's That Metal Show in late 2008.

There is more on this topic below:

The future of Rush: farewell tour in 2011?

The VH1 That Metal Show episode with Rush is here.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 22 2009, 11:20 AM)
One more tour and then leave it at that.

Find new bands to love. Move on.

other bands that i love : Maiden= getting old, Priest=getting old,Journey=getting old..........me getting old..........new bands?yer 'avin a laff

Archived