The Professor's Drums

MainDrag

Well quite frankly I don't know if they are original or not, but it would be SO EASY for a person with good investigative drive to research what size, color and make the 2112 drums were and EASILY assemble a replicate kit. As ignorantly rabid as some Rush fans are (like the ones who pay >$300 for forged signed drum heads) I know it would make a lot of money...

Interesting.

Now I will get back to finishing my 'Presto' drum kit replica so I can vacation in Fiji after they sell on eBay.

I am pretty certain that the Rush / music collectors who would bid on an item like this, would be pretty knowledgeable and able to determine a fake or not. There are actually some out there who do know their stuff and have spent years researching, getting contacts, and learning. I would have to check my notes, but I am pretty sure the Presto kit was donated by the band to a public institution, so serious bidders would probably shy away from your replica kit. But you are right - there are a lot of unknowledgeable and gullible people out there, so who knows. For example, how high will this travesty go!

FAKE drum head

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Jul 30 2009, 09:33 AM)
[[[snipped]]]  For example, how high will this travesty go!
FAKE drum head

It won't go high at all. I will go shut it down if I can catch it in time.

Syr-G ... anytime you see something that obviously fake drop me an email. I can get those things shut down and removed from eBay. It helps when folks like yourself catch this stuff and email as I can't find it all on my own.

RO!

-M

QUOTE (spitball @ Jul 30 2009, 08:58 PM)
I'm pretty sure I remember that contest in '87. Was it in the magazine issue that came with the vinyl recording of "Pieces of Eight"? Anyone still have that?

Yes it was. May of 1987 Modern Drummer magazine.

QUOTE (PeartDrumsticks @ Jul 30 2009, 06:59 PM)
QUOTE (Syrinx @ Jul 30 2009, 09:33 AM)
[[[snipped]]]  For example, how high will this travesty go!
FAKE drum head

It won't go high at all. I will go shut it down if I can catch it in time.

Syr-G ... anytime you see something that obviously fake drop me an email. I can get those things shut down and removed from eBay. It helps when folks like yourself catch this stuff and email as I can't find it all on my own.

RO!

-M

This is true - I e-mailed Michael not long ago about a fraud listing - it was gone within the half-hour.

Its hard to see something like that selling for a lot. Its very old, and Rush isnt Led Zeppelin or the Beatles. I dont know but I guess there's some very hardcore fans out there that might pay nicely for it. Now his newer sets I can see selling for a small fortune.

If I had a chance to get one of Ged's old basses Im not even sure I would jump on it. It crosses over into a level of fandom Im not sure I want to be. Just seems weird to me even though they are my favorite band. I really dont want to own things they owned, its creepy.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 31 2009, 10:19 AM)
If I had a chance to get one of Ged's old basses Im not even sure I would jump on it. It crosses over into a level of fandom Im not sure I want to be. Just seems weird to me even though they are my favorite band. I really dont want to own things they owned, its creepy.

I'd be thrilled to have one of their instruments. I don't find that creepy at all.

Creepy is wanting a pair of their unwashed boxers, or a vial of their blood.

I can swear that Neil's kit did not have the concert toms until after Fly by Night. Am I wrong, or did I see a picture with the Slingerland kit as a 7 or 8 piece kit? 3 rack toms, 1 or 2 floor toms, 2 bass, snare.

QUOTE (PeartDrumsticks @ Jul 27 2009, 11:23 PM)
I've contacted someone who would know ... he said yes, to the best of appearance in the photos that is the legit kit given to Mark of NYC in the Modern Drummer contest.

I'm working on getting the torn head story too.

Main Drag ... I would love to see some more photos of the kit from the seat view. Couple of close-ups of the bass heads would be really cool too.

RUSH On!
-Michael

I've contacted someone who would know ... he said yes, to the best of appearance in the photos that is the legit kit given to Mark of NYC in the Modern Drummer contest.

That's good enough for me. I trust Michael's word on these things.

To MainDrag: welcome to the forum, sir, and I hope you make a killing selling those drums!

QUOTE (Synthetic @ Jul 30 2009, 07:37 AM)
Well quite frankly I don't know if they are original or not, but it would be SO EASY for a person with good investigative drive to research what size, color and make the 2112 drums were and EASILY assemble a replicate kit. As ignorantly rabid as some Rush fans are (like the ones who pay >$300 for forged signed drum heads) I know it would make a lot of money...

Interesting.

Now I will get back to finishing my 'Presto' drum kit replica so I can vacation in Fiji after they sell on eBay.

dude give it up already eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jul 31 2009, 12:12 PM)
I can swear that Neil's kit did not have the concert toms until after Fly by Night. Am I wrong, or did I see a picture with the Slingerland kit as a 7 or 8 piece kit? 3 rack toms, 1 or 2 floor toms, 2 bass, snare.

Neil added the concert toms right before Caress Of Steel. And if you look at the Fly By Night video he indeed has 2 floor toms, which he did not later. You have good eyes!

these look real to me. I remember noticing the difference between concert toms and the rest of the kit on ATWAS a million years ago...the Hemispheres kit looks right also. I don't know why people get so defensive about this stuff...SOMEONE won these things ( I remember the contest well actually)...no surprise a picture would emerge someday.... or that eventually they would sell.

Look very closely at the 6" tom head: It is a Ludwig Silver dot and has the "Rockers" logo on it. The 8", 10" and 12" heads don't have that on it. These were not made until 1979, so that 6" head could not have been on the heads last used in 1976.

so a 6" head was changed...? Not surprising at all. the drums probably sat in strorage or in Neil's house or somewhere...Hell he may have used this kit as a practice kit once aquiring the Hemispheres Slingerlands.

Bottom line this has the certificate of authenticity as well ( which the original winner is keeping but they will give a copy) ...they are Neils drums.

technically right off the bat the closed toms no longer have the Evan's "mirror" heads on the batters either...so obviously heads were changed since 1976 Edited by druid13

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 24 2009, 07:14 PM)
His name is on the bass drums, definitely something a kid would do. Nice find, although it looks too good to be legit. It could be though.

I'm guessing the winner stuck those on??? I highly doubt Neil would ever put his name on the bass drums......

Putting your name on your kicks was a popular thing to do back in the day, Carmine Appice and Cozy Powell come to mind. I believe the kit in the Fly By Night video was a rental (he had three floor toms set up)

Look here and you will see the squares on the heads where his name was:

Cool auction and I would go with legit.

You guys who Higly Doubt Neil would put his name on his bass drums need to look at the ATWAS gatefold picutres alittle more carefully.....the fact the names were there ( clearly visible on my Vinyl version) is what made it MORE believable not less.

Peart took these heads off for the recording of ATWAS.....for MAssey HAll...but check the front cover...the names are there.

I also remember having a Circus article years ago that clearly showed the "neil" and "peart" on the bass drums......all lower case if memory serves.