irritating commercials

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 8 2010, 08:10 PM)
Stride

Stride flavor changing gum with all of the water throwing. Dumb.

Speaking of gum, those ads for "do you mind if I pay you in gum?" I hate those. And the last guy on there says, "gee, no one ever pays me in gum", and looks all sad and stuff.

Think the power company would accept a few sticks in lieu of cash this month? Someone else can try it first - let me know how that works out.

Commercials I hate:

Billy Mays ones (RIP Billy)

Crapitol One

Smiling Bob the perverted loon

Anything pimping pharmaceuticals

QUOTE (MusicHead @ Aug 9 2010, 03:39 PM)
Commercials I hate:

Crapitol One

We call him "Boner Bob" around my house. He's creepy - there are some things a gigantic wiener cannot make up for. (I keep wondering if his commercial wife walks like Yosemite Sam, though).

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 9 2010, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 9 2010, 04:12 PM)
I keep wondering if his commercial wife walks like Yosemite Sam, though.

z7shysterical.gif

What? With two pistols? I don't get it...huh? wha? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Aug 9 2010, 05:35 PM)
Any commercial that's volume is 4 times higher than the show you were watching banghead.gif

then you apparently hate all commercials.

another thing I hate is when the commercial appropriateness does not match the level of the show. example, you are watching something kid friendly and you have to be ready to pounce to change channels in case a commercial for a vampire movie comes on.

I hate when they take a song you know n love, and use it for commercial gain. I mean I understand the ARTIST may have had a certain amount of monetary recompense for their song(s), but American Express or Chase, I forget which using the opening few bars to Yours is no Disgrace? What not my fault if I blow up the limit on the fokker? or any use of (I'll Stop the World and) Melt With You..Modern English. Sons of bitches. That was our song, myself and my first wife. Talk about taking sentimental value and dashing it against a concrete wall!

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 9 2010, 11:21 PM)
I hate when they take a song you know n love, and use it for commercial gain. I mean I understand the ARTIST may have had a certain amount of monetary recompense for their song(s), but American Express or Chase, I forget which using the opening few bars to Yours is no Disgrace? What not my fault if I blow up the limit on the fokker? or any use of (I'll Stop the World and) Melt With You..Modern English. Sons of bitches. That was our song, myself and my first wife. Talk about taking sentimental value and dashing it against a concrete wall!

That song is completely, utterly, totally ruined for me ever since the advertising world usurped it. angry.gif It truly has no meaning at all.

Thank god Rush never ho'd out their music to sell candy bars or fast food . . .

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 9 2010, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Aug 9 2010, 05:35 PM)
Any commercial that's volume is 4 times higher than the show you were watching banghead.gif

then you apparently hate all commercials.

another thing I hate is when the commercial appropriateness does not match the level of the show. example, you are watching something kid friendly and you have to be ready to pounce to change channels in case a commercial for a vampire movie comes on.

or that Vagisil "odor" and the "itch you just can't scratch"...oh yeah lemme really take a bite outta my luchtime tuna sammich now!

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 9 2010, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 9 2010, 11:21 PM)
I hate when they take a song you know n love, and use it for commercial gain.  I mean I understand the ARTIST may have had a certain amount of monetary recompense for their song(s), but American Express or Chase, I forget which using the opening few bars to Yours is no Disgrace?  What not my fault if I blow up the limit on the fokker? or any use of (I'll Stop the World and) Melt With You..Modern English. Sons of bitches. That was our song, myself and my first wife. Talk about taking sentimental value and dashing it against a concrete wall!

That song is completely, utterly, totally ruined for me ever since the advertising world usurped it. angry.gif It truly has no meaning at all.

Thank god Rush never ho'd out their music to sell candy bars or fast food . . .

But they did for Nissan.....

The sad thing is, the artist really has very little say in the matter. If the advertisers want that song, they will get it, either by licensing it from the rights holder (which is usually a publishing company, not the artist who wrote the song), or they'll chop it up and edit it enough that they think they won't get sued for using it without permission (and sometimes they're wrong). So it isn't always fair to blame the artist for "selling out" when their song gets hijacked to sell crap.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 11 2010, 11:25 PM)
The sad thing is, the artist really has very little say in the matter. If the advertisers want that song, they will get it, either by licensing it from the rights holder (which is usually a publishing company, not the artist who wrote the song), or they'll chop it up and edit it enough that they think they won't get sued for using it without permission (and sometimes they're wrong). So it isn't always fair to blame the artist for "selling out" when their song gets hijacked to sell crap.

after I posted my hatred for hijacking songs that have much sentimental value, maybe after a period of time they become "public domain" in that they are anyone's to abuse at any time?

And no pedro I don't want you to sing it for me, I thought a YouTube clip or to just tell where and when 2.gif was raped by the advertising world would be enough

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 11 2010, 07:39 PM)

after I posted my hatred for hijacking songs that have much sentimental value, maybe after a period of time they become "public domain" in that they are anyone's to abuse at any time?

And no pedro I don't want you to sing it for me, I thought a YouTube clip or to just tell where and when 2.gif was raped by the advertising world would be enough

Music doesn't become public domain until something like 50 years after the artist's death, and that keeps getting pushed back thanks to media companies and their lobbyists (I'm lookin' at you, Disney). All modern popular music is still copyrighted and owned by someone somewhere, even the Happy Birthday song. Ad agencies do like to bend the rules though.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Aug 11 2010, 09:39 PM)

It was either a Nissan or Toyota Commercial and they used tom sawyer, I believe.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 9 2010, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (MusicHead @ Aug 9 2010, 03:39 PM)
Commercials I hate:

Crapitol One

We call him "Boner Bob" around my house. He's creepy - there are some things a gigantic wiener cannot make up for. (I keep wondering if his commercial wife walks like Yosemite Sam, though).

My kids call him Bob and his wiener. They always say Bob and his wiener commercial is on again. We didn't see them for a long time, but recently saw them again. We actually kind of missed them.