The Beatles' Remastered Discography

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got Let It Be today. sounds beautiful . Revolver is next

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 14 2009, 06:21 PM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 14 2009, 02:50 PM)
KAY Limey had the unfortunate displeasure of listening to a few songs on the radio and all i can say: 062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif and finally 062802puke_prv.gif

eyesre4.gif

Don't worry, all of Limey's Beatle-bashing is a front for his obsession of this great band laugh.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM)
KAY Limey had the unfortunate displeasure of listening to a few songs on the radio and all i can say: 062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif and finally 062802puke_prv.gif

eyesre4.gif

Don't worry, all of Limey's Beatle-bashing is a front for his obsession of this great band laugh.gif

I'll listen to Country music before the Beatles.

And i HATE country music, ALOT.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Sep 14 2009, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM)

eyesre4.gif

I'll listen to Country music before the Beatles.

And i HATE country music, ALOT.

ohmy.gif :glassbreaks:

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 22 2009, 11:40 AM)
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" remastered is pretty amazing. I never notice how good McCartney's bass playing sounds.

One of the most disappointing moments in my life was when I found out that Eric Clapton played the solo in that song and not George.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 22 2009, 03:44 PM)
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" remastered is pretty amazing.  I never notice how good McCartney's bass playing sounds.

One of the most disappointing moments in my life was when I found out that Eric Clapton played the solo in that song and not George.

I felt the same way when I found out McCartney played the solo on "Taxman"!

Just got the White Album today . So far it sounds great

Well, my boxed set finally arrived yesterday morning. I have Mono. Stumbled upon the last Stereo set at Rasputin's in Concord. Double Score!

I replaced all of the "old" stereo versions with the newly remastered versions in my iTunes library. I think I'll give the old discs to my nephews so they can discover the Beatles for themselves.

First thing I listened to was Sgt. Pepper "side 1" in Mono through headphones (which was the way I always listened to this growing up). There are some very interesting differences in the mixes from song to song. Even vocal processing is different in some cases. It is very interesting having been familiar with only the stereo version.

When I got the stereo set I immediately put With The Beatles in my car cd player. Wow! Let me just say it is the same tunes, but there is just MORE. Everything is so much more defined. I have listened (in release order- including singles) from Love Me Do through Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night and I Feel Fine/She's a Woman (I broke Past Masters up into their actual singles sorted by release date so they fall between the albums). The old versions are hollow comparatively. Vocals are clearer and have a nice sheen to them. The instruments are well defined and pop. There is added oomph in the low end so the mixes are bit more punchier than could ever have been on vinyl. On the whole I am very pleased with the way the remasters sound. It's like cleaning the build up off of a window. You didn't realize how clean it could be. Worth replacing the old discs with these. Each of the stereo discs comes with a booklet and a mini documentary on the making of the respective album.

Ok, now here's how they get you. Not only because there were different unique mono and stereo mixes for much of their catalog, but the only way to get all of the stereo remasters from the original 60's masters is you have to buy both boxes. You see Help! and Rubber Soul in the stereo set are remasters of the 1986 George Martin masters. The original 1965 stereo remasters are on the mono discs. This really f*cks with my iTunes a bit because what I want are all of the original masters from the 60's. But because they are on one disc it is hard to replace the other stereo versions. This my own problem I suppose. Anyway, what this means is that Help and Rubber Soul were remastered 3 times each this time. That and there are certain mono versions of songs in the stereo set because there are no real stereo versions of those songs. Also, if you are looking to replace the old versions in your iTunes (rather than just adding these as additional) there are a few songs that are slightly differently named; such as "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" is now "You're Going To Lose That Girl" which is not huge, but filenames are different so it won't overwrite the previous version with the different spelling. You will have to edit before importing. There are a handful of others.

Anyway, I highly recommend getting any of the newly remastered Beatles albums.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 22 2009, 02:44 PM)
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" remastered is pretty amazing.  I never notice how good McCartney's bass playing sounds.

And if that is as disappointing as your life get's...........congrat's . Killer solo