Name an obscure album that you wish...

Hatchet Pete loves to look for the albums beyond the mainstream, he loves what it does for his image...

Yes, that's exactly what I do, while I bother myself furiously in front of the mirror. Which is also why I haven't posted in this thread for the balls of 8 years.

:sigh:

Hatchet Pete loves to look for the albums beyond the mainstream, he loves what it does for his image...

Yes, that's exactly what I do, while I bother myself furiously in front of the mirror. Which is also why I haven't posted in this thread for the balls of 8 years.

Methinks you protest too much Petey! :16ton:

How does one find time to post about albums when there is a mirror in front of them?

• Like 1

How does one find time to post about albums when there is a mirror in front of them?

Only Petey knows. :huh:

Not at all. Just hate your posts.

Using the RIGHT hands.

Not at all. Just hate your posts.

Don't be a hater Petey, I don't hate you. :hi:

Using the RIGHT hands.

I'm left handed.

Songs from Northern Britain by Teenage Fanclub. Great songwriting, beautifully-layered instruments, lush Birds-esque harmonies. Their '91 album Bandwagonesque famously (or infamously) was named Spin's album of the year instead of Nevermind, but this '97 release is, IMO, their masterpiece. Reportedly, Liam (or Noel? the more outspoken twit of the two) Gallagher was listening to them mix it in the studio and declared them the "best band in the world; after Oasis." Little did he know (or maybe he did) Radiohead was about to drop OK Computer on the world.

Anyway, from the opening of Start Again, it just never lets up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb1wlWo16V0&list=PLXiaizMW6pCBpdrdIEdT_tn-mLUlPB7rc

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

How obscure is obscure?

Follow For Now were a really cool band around 1990 or so. Big in the Atlanta scene, and managed to cut an album on a big label. The label of course decided that they didn't like the creative drumming and had replaced him with a machine, and the album doesn't reflect what they had, but nevertheless- check out Follow For Now's funk/punk/metal stylings one their only album.

Split Enz in the early/mid seventies were very odd and very cool. Way before they were New Wave, before Neil joined after Phil left. Mental Notes and Second Thoughts. Cool stuff.

Anything by the Woodbox Gang. If you like Slim Cessna and Munly, you'll like the Woodbox Gang.

Xmal Deutschland. Siouxsie filtered through the German music scene of the same era.

Anything by Admiral James T. Swiss rock and roller that I am a huge fan of. Bring Me the Head of Gordon Sumner, Dark Side of the Moon Boots are good starts.

Death, self titled. The Detroit garage proto-punks, not the metal band. Incredibly good, for fans of the Stooges, MC5, Rocket From the Tombs, etc.

Absynthe Minded, out of Belgium. Self-titled. Very cool.

Beangrowers out of Malta. Also cool.

Belly of Paris- new stuff from Bahrain. Baroque rock.

Black Box Revelation- Belgium again, newer garage rock.

Deus Ex Machina - metal prog sci fi from Singapore.

Are Tengger Cavalry still obscure? - Mongolian style folk metal from China (now based in New York?) and extremely good.

Man Man, Six Demon Bag. Weird stuff and really cool. I like weirdos like Beefheart, the Butthole Surfers, Residents. These guys are weird.

Obscure can be anything of course. For the sake of this thread I thought of something most TRFers might not know but might like. Some at least. Probably not many now that I think about it. Oh well, Nick Hornsby really liked it. Edited by Rutlefan

Pere Ubu, still moving big black boxes from one side of town to the other in the back of your car. Pick any album.

Oh man. If they count as obscure then definitely grab anything.

Dave Thomas is scary creative.

Rocket From the Tombs as well, maybe not as weird but you can see it if you look.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

hell, that album has become popular to dislike among younger music brats... I've been ridiculed for defending sgt pepper, master of puppets, hendrix, the stones, KISS, nevermind, appetite, others. some people my age think that if you like an album your dad owns, you're not really a music fan.

hell, that album has become popular to dislike among younger music brats... I've been ridiculed for defending sgt pepper, master of puppets, hendrix, the stones, KISS, nevermind, appetite, others. some people my age think that if you like an album your dad owns, you're not really a music fan.

My 3 youngest kids all love music I loved, and music that predates me, and even old music I'm not into.

A by product of growing up in a house that played all kinds of music old and new constantly their entire lives.

They all have favorite artists none of their friends have heard of.

I think a lover of music has room to respect and enjoy the music of any generation.

It's pretty jarring when my daughter ridicules something I put on in the car because "it's from the 1980s." Which she says as if she were talking about before indoor plumbing.

I think the fact that I've always listened to current music ensured my kids never felt a divide between generations as far as art goes.

I've never experienced my kids frowning on anything I liked because of it's era.

The favorite American bands thread has reignited a Gun Club obsession (following mid/late-'80s and late-'90s/early-'00s obsessions). I wouldn't think this album is obscure -- it shouldn't be anyway -- but probably a lot of people of this Sabbath/Porcupine Tree-loving forum haven't heard it. Fire of Love by The Gun Club is one of those albums that any music fan, no matter their taste, should have, or should have at least listened to at some point. Early The Gun Club sounds like X meets Mission of Burma meets Robert Johnson meets the Southern Death Cult wrapped into a preview of Pixies Surfer Rosa. Apart from that intro, I'll let the music do the talkin'...

(There were doing quiet quiet LOUD way before Pixies and NIrvana.)

The first two are arguably the signature tracks from the album; these are my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KET6Qrxo4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcPECwHe88

Edited by Rutlefan