The Yankees Thread

Yup, this is the Yankee fan thread. Talk about whatever. Current issues, legends, anything goes. Do note that I have not talked shit in the Red Sox or Mets threads, and would appreciate it if others would do the same with regards to this thread.

A few things on my mind right now:

*They need to keep cutting their prices if they want to fill up the stadium.

*Joba Chamberlain is best used in the rotation, and I wish the starter/reliever debate would not keep coming up.

*I wish people would lay off A-Rod for two seconds. Either that, or investigate everybody who was on that list.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 3 2009, 02:38 PM)
Yup, this is the Yankee fan thread. Talk about whatever. Current issues, legends, anything goes. Do note that I have not talked shit in the Red Sox or Mets threads, and would appreciate it if others would do the same with regards to this thread.

*Joba Chamberlain is best used in the rotation, and I wish the starter/reliever debate would not keep coming up.
*I wish people would lay off A-Rod for two seconds. Either that, or investigate everybody who was on that list.

what makes it so much fun to rip on a-rod is he has the biggest contract in the history of baseball, he's a fraud, a choke artist, and a one way street. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 3 2009, 10:25 PM)

what makes it so much fun to rip on a-rod is he has the biggest contract in the history of baseball, he's a fraud, a choke artist, and a one way street. tongue.gif

He does not produce in the clutch, that is true. But his numbers make him far from a fraud. Yes, me makes a lot of dough, but so do a lot of guys with that organization. Im not convinced (a healthy) A-Rod is the Yanks biggest problem.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 3 2009, 09:25 PM)

100% correct

let's not forget that everywhere he play's you find out his teammates hate him . he wants to be as popular as JETER in n.y. that will never happen and he can not deal with it. me-rod is a 275 million dollar crybaby

A-Rod is the perfect example of living a sheltered life. He's been coddled since he was a teenager, so he doesn't have the perspective on life that ordinary people do. I really think he has no idea how to lead a decent ordinary life. If I had a daughter I'd tell her to avoid people like A-Rod like the plague.

He's an empty soul that can play baseball better than most people.

That said, when it comes to A-Rod I root for the uniform he's wearing.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 3 2009, 03:38 PM)

I agree with the cutting of the prices. I read an article that basically stated that the Yankees simply cut prices from "insane" to just "outrageous". I agree that's not good enough.

Joba needs to show more consistency. He need to build on his last start and continue to do that, only then will the bullpen debate end. Also, I hope Hughes reaches his potential. I think that will only push Joba to be better. Two young studs in the rotation, man I'm drooling.

As far as A-Rod goes...this guy...this is not my kind of guy. He's just another juicer from baseball worst era. He's a sheep. All his stats have a mental asterisk next to them.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 4 2009, 09:39 AM)

I agree with the cutting of the prices. I read an article that basically stated that the Yankees simply cut prices from "insane" to just "outrageous". I agree that's not good enough.

Joba needs to show more consistency. He need to build on his last start and continue to do that, only then will the bullpen debate end. Also, I hope Hughes reaches his potential. I think that will only push Joba to be better. Two young studs in the rotation, man I'm drooling.

As far as A-Rod goes...this guy...this is not my kind of guy. He's just another juicer from baseball worst era. He's a sheep. All his stats have a mental asterisk next to them.

i'm going to check out the new stadium once this year, but i'm hoping they bring the prices down a little more. tickets are outrageously priced and leave you with very little in your pocket to buy a hot dog. sad.gif

my cousin told me about a good deli near the courthouse. he stocks up on hot dogs, kanishes and stuff outside the stadium, and after the game he still has money in his pocket.

First, I am a Yankee fan...all my life

now,

Ticket Prices...no brainer,bring them down-- the Yankees thought WAY too highly of themselves. In the end boys, its a baseball game, and it means an awful lot to a lot of people, for lots of aw shucks, family time, peanuts and cracker jack reasons. not because you're the shiniest.

Joba--no brainer, he belongs in rotation, though at one point, if i had to pick, i say groom him for reliever

A-Rod--no-brainer

that's it, A-Rod is a no brainer. Such a waste. As was said, coddled prince who thinks the world owes him something.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 4 2009, 10:01 AM)
i wonder if there's a stat out there on how many of his hr's actually meant something.

oh, like when he hit's one in the bottom of the 9th with no one on and they are down by 9 ? or, when they are up by 11 and he hit's 2 solo home runs ? yeah, i see your point

1022.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 4 2009, 08:07 AM)
the yankees need to return to finding the tino martinez's, mattingly's, brosius type players, and sh*tcan guys like matsui and damon who doesn't look like he belongs in pinstripes. jmo.

I honestly think we're heading back in that direction. I don't know if any of you have read Torre's book yet, but according to that, the difference is that during the '90s run, Brian Cashman had much more control over the team, and he's a big believer in homegrown talent over expensive veterans. And then in the early 2000s Steinbrenner took the team over, and now that he's given day-to-day control to his sons they've let Cashman have a lot more free reign. You're seeing guys like Robinson Cano come up and be successful from our farm system. I think he's going to be just as good as Dustin Pedroia in a couple of years, and he's going to be with the team for a long time. Young starters like Joba and Phil Hughes (and eventually Ian Kennedy), young relievers like Coke, Melancon, and Bruney. Outfielders like Brett Gardner and Melky Cabrera, and next year Austin Jackson should be coming up. I don't know if you've been following him but he's been absolutely tearing it up in AAA. And when Jorge Posada inevitably retires in the next couple of years, we have a couple of guys in the system at catcher too. Jesus Montero, supposed to be our best offensive prospect since Jeter.

We're also seeing a lot of our aging veterans go, and with them that culture of the early 2000s Yankees. After 2008, Jason Giambi, Carl Pavano, Mike Mussina, and Bobby Abreu all left. Even after the CC/AJ/Tex signings, our payroll actually ended up something like $6m lower than last year because so many guys left. Damon and Matsui are both free agents after the 2009 season, and I wouldn't imagine we'll be trying to re-sign either one of them. Knowing the Steinbrenners, I'm worried they're going to either sign Matt Holliday (who's a great player, don't get me wrong, but we have so many prospects in the outfield that I don't think we need to go out and sign another big name) or offer an ungodly amount of money to Yu Darvish when he declares for the majors. I'd much rather have them save that money, because in a few years they're going to have to offer guys like Cano and Chamberlain bigger contracts, and I want them to have the money to do that.

And I agree with you about Johnny Damon. I've never been able to really accept him as a Yankee, mostly because I can't shake the fact that he was a part of the 2004 Red Sox.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

Puppet King

I was just thinking that very thing about Robbie Cano. He was allowed to grow and that's exactly what we need.

I've said this many times before, the Yankees 90s dynasty was a bunch of homegrown boys...I honest to goodness dont know what they were thinking by signing aging "stars" The Steinbrenners killed that beautiful time.

So hopefully, as you say, we're gonna grow our own, and in a few years, a new dynasty will begin.

Unfortunately, the Yankees position player prospects are not top notch. It's all about fulfilling potential and that takes time and time is something the Yankee bigwigs have trouble dealing with. It's win now, not 2-3 years from now.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 4 2009, 12:25 PM)
Unfortunately, the Yankees position player prospects are not top notch. It's all about fulfilling potential and that takes time and time is something the Yankee bigwigs have trouble dealing with. It's win now, not 2-3 years from now.

That's just how the Steinbrenners are. That's how they've always been. People are going to have to accept that. That's why I'm glad they're letting Cashman control the team more now, because I find him much more reasonable and rational.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 4 2009, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ May 4 2009, 12:25 PM)
Unfortunately, the Yankees position player prospects are not top notch.  It's all about fulfilling potential and that takes time and time is something the Yankee bigwigs have trouble dealing with.  It's win now, not 2-3 years from now.

That's just how the Steinbrenners are. That's how they've always been. People are going to have to accept that. That's why I'm glad they're letting Cashman control the team more now, because I find him much more reasonable and rational.

You know, during the Steinbrenner ownership the Yankees had two dynasties, 1976-1978 and 1996-2000. Both times the teams were essentially built when Steinbrenner was banned from baseball! Gabe Paul is responsible for the 1970's dynasty and Gene Michael built the 1990's dynasty, not Steinbrenner. To be fair, each time Steinbrenner was reinstated his money/spending was the key to signing free agents that filled out the rosters.

Oh yeah, and Cashman is on a short leash. It's believed the Yankees have to make the playoffs for any chance of Cashman not being fired.

Edited by ReRushed

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 4 2009, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 4 2009, 10:01 AM)
i wonder if there's a stat out there on how many of his hr's actually meant something.

oh, like when he hit's one in the bottom of the 9th with no one on and they are down by 9 ? or, when they are up by 11 and he hit's 2 solo home runs ? yeah, i see your point

1022.gif

I am so f-cking pissed off I lost the page with that stat... someone figured that out. The calculation showed how Ryan Howard of the Phillies was essentially way better (as were a number of other players) with HRs because they did the calc to find out how many times the HR helped the team to victory. ARods number, for as many as he hits was very low. translation: yur vibe about his HRs not being at the right time was proven empirically.

Now, of course, I cant find the web page angry.gif