Who wants to see Rush do some improv stuff?

mfratt

Live or maybe part of a special EP release or something?

I know they like to play live very faithful to their album releases, but I for one would kill to see a 20 or so minute long jam session, either free or based off a certain song.

They don't have to do the whole show with a bunch improv like, say, the Dead would but I think it would be AWESOME to hear some loose, free flow, musical medley of badassery flow from the stage.

Plus an extended bass solo or two biggrin.gif

Yeah...I'd like to see 'em shake it up a little bit.

I don't think you're going to find anyone who doesn't want this! I'd love it. Raw and uncut, mistakes and all, it would be amazing.

THat would be cool, something like Apple Jam which the late George Harrison did on All Thing Must Pass. I think that Geddy and Alex would love it, but Neil always like to have everything down perfectly before hitting the studio.

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Mar 9 2009, 08:21 AM)
Doesn't Neil hate improv? I think it would be great though.

I agree... In his books Neil says he hates improvisational playing so not sure something like this would fly with that attitude. That said, given the spontenaeity of MalNar, he 'can' do it since that song was written fairly quickly.

Would be awesome to see and I'm sure even Neil's 'imperfect improv' would be better than most people's rehersed ad-nauseum playing. wink.gif

Yes, this would be great!

However, if there was ever one negative thing you could accuse Rush of, is the fact that Rush is almost "too structured". The Boys like to keep things the same with minimal change.

It's just like when it comes to their live shows. They like to keep everything completely structured. That's why you see minimal song swaps in concert, and never see any setlist changes from night to night.

On the next tour, the Boys should loosen up completely from the structured system, and just play on the fly. Change up setlists from night to night, play improv pieces inbetween songs, and bring back Al's rants!

Despite what they might think, it would go over tremendously with the fans! yes.gif

QUOTE (Atomic @ Mar 9 2009, 10:08 AM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Mar 9 2009, 08:21 AM)
Doesn't Neil hate improv?  I think it would be great though.

I agree... In his books Neil says he hates improvisational playing so not sure something like this would fly with that attitude. That said, given the spontenaeity of MalNar, he 'can' do it since that song was written fairly quickly.

Would be awesome to see and I'm sure even Neil's 'imperfect improv' would be better than most people's rehersed ad-nauseum playing. wink.gif

True. I don't think Neil quite "gets" that, though. He shies away from acclaim as a "great" drummer, and I don't think it's all false modesty.

I'm sure they all like to just jam - most musicians seem to enjoy it as a break from the structure of practice and recording. But I can see how having an audience would add some pressure.

I'm sure others feel the same as I do - I really wouldn't even CARE about a "mistake" or two, or a couple of measures that come off sounding like crap. If we got a live, off-the-cuff jam, I'd be over the moon!

an improv with no keyboards . that would be nice

1022.gif

Yup. Neil would never do it. As we all know, he has gone on record many times stating that he specifically STRIVES to reproduce the studio recordings as closely as possible in a live situation.

I wonder if theres any way we can all get something together - all us fans here, on other Rush forums and maybe even at Rush con or whatever - get as many of us as possible to sign a petition and forward it to Rush's management.

Maybe if they knew how much their die-hard fans really would love to see something like this they'd do it....

Wow, kinda suprised to hear of Neils reluctance to play improv......

I guess the closest I have heard of an improv from the members of Rush doesn't even include Ged. The Alex/Neil/Billy Sheehan jam is cool10.gif ing

They are my favorite group but their reluctance to ditch the fancy stage show and mix up the setlist is lame.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 9 2009, 01:26 PM)
it would rock but they just don't seem too jam orieneted. LOL. I read and hear about how anal Peart is and "improv" just doesn't seem to factor is more than a small percentage and he's said as much.

yeah, not too jam oriented but.........Neil is a fan of jazz and sometimes plays jazz. I have always associated ( perhaps wrongly) jazz and improv.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 9 2009, 01:38 PM)
it would rock but they just don't seem too jam orieneted.  LOL.  I read and hear about how anal Peart is and "improv" just doesn't seem to factor is more than a small percentage and he's said as much.

yeah, not too jam oriented but.........Neil is a fan of jazz and sometimes plays jazz. I have always associated ( perhaps wrongly) jazz and improv.

Maybe he's disciplined about his jazz. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Mar 9 2009, 01:40 PM)
it would rock but they just don't seem too jam orieneted.  LOL.  I read and hear about how anal Peart is and "improv" just doesn't seem to factor is more than a small percentage and he's said as much.

Maybe he's disciplined about his jazz. tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

As a life long jazz fan, you are correct. Jazz is all about the improv at certain times.

It seems that NEP's nature is to be a perfectionist and being a perfectionist and jamming don't always go hand in hand. I had an ex-girlfriend who was a piano virtuoso when she had written music in front of her... ask her to just jam and she simply couldn't do it.

Some people, even outstanding muscians can jam really well... others can't. Just the way some people are hardwired, I guess.

QUOTE (tangy @ Mar 9 2009, 01:10 PM)
They are my favorite group but their reluctance to ditch the fancy stage show and mix up the setlist is lame.

Yeah...that's how I feel too. It's essentially what I meant in my first post on this thread.

These guys have the ability to go well beyond the "structured set" that they follow.

I really love their stage show. The lights, the comedy, and the videos are all fantastic! But, I think I recall reading an interview with Geddy once where he mentioned that the videos and setup are the main reason they don't switch up sets nightly.

If this really is the case, which I think they have enough ability to get around it, then I probably wouldn't mind seeing them strip down their stage show next tour if it means getting more variety and surprises within their sets and shows.

Archived