Where should I start with Judas Priest?

Sticklah

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 10 2009, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2009, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 10 2009, 04:03 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 9 2009, 05:30 PM)
Ive posted this pic before but it seems like a good opportunity to once again show off this shot i took front row during the screaming tour '82. Pretty killer shot if i do say so myself  1022.gif

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/28/l_f64beb4de4a14d66aa59628f445a9f63.jpg

He wants you, dude. He wants you bad.

laugh.gif

I think GR has some kind of man crush on Halford which is why he keeps coming back to this thread again and again even though he says he hates the band...

laugh.gif

or he's a complete homophobe tongue.gif

Neither, really. Just bustin' your balls, reminding you that your metal idol is a huge flamer. tongue.gif

But hey, I love Queen. 1022.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 10 2009, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 10 2009, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 10 2009, 11:58 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Feb 10 2009, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 9 2009, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Feb 9 2009, 08:12 PM)
Mindcrime came out in '88 and I think it sounds pretty damn good. But as long as you realize you are waaay over generalizing, it's all good home fry.

I was pretty happy when bands like Megadeth and grunge came up to dirty up metal again.  The Preist came out with Painkiller in '90... 1022.gif

Truth. Truth, h-slice. But, the Mindcrime remaster adds a tad more bottom end to the mix, and, thusly, an added dimension. And, yes, very thankful for the early 90's music scene.

so what you're saying is you didn't think there was enough bottom end on your Tears For Fears and Simple Minds albums?

I can appreciate what you're saying here....Or, at least what I think you're gittin' at....But, it was the influence of all these kinda mid-decade POP acts on the other genres that was annoying. I just simply detest 80's production standards, plain and simple. I think I might own two dozen eighties albums total. Pulled out Steve Winwood's Back in the High Life and Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast the other day, and, if not for their nostalgic value, I'd discard 'em.

just bustin your balls, other than Priest, Ryche, Maiden and dare I say it, Winger, I generally despised most of the 80s metal. When the whole grunge thing hit in the early 90s, i embraced it with open arms. Pearl Jam is still one of my all time favorites.

Wait a second............................................................................................................................................

Did you just mention Winger in the same breath as Maiden and Priest? Now it's my turn to bust balls. lol. I still give one of my closest friends a whole lotta flack over buying that unholy cassette when he was a mere pup of 17. He even grew Kip's four-day five o' clock shadow on his silly face and bought a purple guitar.........Let me go on record as saying that I firmly believe that there was nothing, not a thing Metal about Winger. They were about as Metal as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Them and Slaughter and Warrant and the rest of the daytime emmy bands.

Maybe he was in the wrong band, but Reb Beach can flat-out play geetar!

Ditto a lot of the other guitarists in 80s "metal" bands. George Lynch (Dokken), Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme), and Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big) are all amazing guitarists.

I can mostly agree with you: metal got a little soft in the 80s, and every "metal" album had to have a Top Forty single on it. Much better in the 70s and 90s! But some people actually swear by the 80s Hair Band phase, even today.

What you're sayin' there is indicative of the entire decade. FLASH OVER SUBSTANCE. All those guitarists of the late 80's, spent the earlier part of the decade listening to their Randy Rhoads and Van Halen solos, practiced to their fingers were sore and became very proficient soloists themselves. Too bad none of them could compose a song to save their lives.

And, Rob Halford might just be a flamer...It's true. But, at least he's a Top. Kip Winger is definitely a Bottom. lol.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 10 2009, 08:29 PM)
Mindcrime came out in '88 and I think it sounds pretty damn good. But as long as you realize you are waaay over generalizing, it's all good home fry.

I was pretty happy when bands like Megadeth and grunge came up to dirty up metal again.  The Preist came out with Painkiller in '90... 1022.gif

Truth. Truth, h-slice. But, the Mindcrime remaster adds a tad more bottom end to the mix, and, thusly, an added dimension. And, yes, very thankful for the early 90's music scene.

so what you're saying is you didn't think there was enough bottom end on your Tears For Fears and Simple Minds albums?

I can appreciate what you're saying here....Or, at least what I think you're gittin' at....But, it was the influence of all these kinda mid-decade POP acts on the other genres that was annoying. I just simply detest 80's production standards, plain and simple. I think I might own two dozen eighties albums total. Pulled out Steve Winwood's Back in the High Life and Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast the other day, and, if not for their nostalgic value, I'd discard 'em.

just bustin your balls, other than Priest, Ryche, Maiden and dare I say it, Winger, I generally despised most of the 80s metal. When the whole grunge thing hit in the early 90s, i embraced it with open arms. Pearl Jam is still one of my all time favorites.

Wait a second............................................................................................................................................

Did you just mention Winger in the same breath as Maiden and Priest? Now it's my turn to bust balls. lol. I still give one of my closest friends a whole lotta flack over buying that unholy cassette when he was a mere pup of 17. He even grew Kip's four-day five o' clock shadow on his silly face and bought a purple guitar.........Let me go on record as saying that I firmly believe that there was nothing, not a thing Metal about Winger. They were about as Metal as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Them and Slaughter and Warrant and the rest of the daytime emmy bands.

Ditto a lot of the other guitarists in 80s "metal" bands. George Lynch (Dokken), Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme), and Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big) are all amazing guitarists.

I can mostly agree with you: metal got a little soft in the 80s, and every "metal" album had to have a Top Forty single on it. Much better in the 70s and 90s! But some people actually swear by the 80s Hair Band phase, even today.

I'm a great fan of the 80's HairBand/HairMetal phase of music. I was in high school and college and it was a great soundrack for those years. For the most part I equally hated the whole grunge movement that killed it. Well, actually I guess I only hated Nirvana. Hard for me to face facts but it was pretty much dead anyways, a victim of its own overblown self. Point being, I agree that sometimes really good musicians do get lost in the shuffle by being thrown into that 80's category. I saw Winger "back in the day" along with two other bands of the time and they were great, a very memorable show. All of these four mentioned above are excellent musicians, and are still working. I even hear there will be a Mr. Big tour of Europe this summer. Lets hope they bring it stateside.

Edited to add: Yeah you're right Winger wasn't what I would call metal but still a good sound and representative of the time.

One question, MCM. Are you female? If so, then completely understandable is your taste in music. 80's Hair Bands were definitely Chick Music. But, a guy going out and buying Def Leppard's Hysteria or Warrant's whatever is just plain unforgivable. When it comes to 80's Metal there is mostly certainly a demarcation line - a guys and a gals section.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 10 2009, 10:30 PM)
One question, MCM. Are you female? If so, then completely understandable is your taste in music. 80's Hair Bands were definitely Chick Music. But, a guy going out and buying Def Leppard's Hysteria or Warrant's whatever is just plain unforgivable. When it comes to 80's Metal there is mostly certainly a demarcation line - a guys and a gals section.

Yes, I'm a girl, and guilty of loving the 80's music, I had the white leather fringe jacket, matching boots and big hair. Just like all the other girls. Motley Crue was my first concert. But if you looked at my cd collection you would be very confused. I only recently purchased my first copy of Hysteria and own no Warrant. (I've never owned any Bon Jovi either) I'm proud to say I own the entire Styx catalog, on vinyl, including the Wooden Nickel years. I also have plenty of Zeppelin,(I think I've now paid for the entire Zeppelin catalog three times) Metallica, Black Sabbath, UFO, Van Halen, Ozzy Osborne, Pink Floyd, Kiss etc.. I may be one of the 500 people that bought a copy of Bruce Dickinson's solo album Tattoed Millionaire. I've also got my fair share of Night Ranger, Poison and Cinderella.

It was a mostly chick thing at that time, but you can't deny that those bands were, for the most part, easy on the eyes. I could go on and on about that. The prettier the better as far as we were concerned back then.

If I remember correctly all the guys I knew at that time were listening to U2, REM, the Smiths or the Cure. Maybe I was hanging out with the wrong group of guys? laugh.gif

Besides, none of my sorority sisters would listen to a 37 minute version of Dazed and Confused, I had to adapt.

1022.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Feb 11 2009, 03:58 AM)

I'm a great fan of the 80's HairBand/HairMetal phase of music.  I was in high school and college and it was a great soundrack for those years.  For the most part I equally hated the whole grunge movement that killed it.  Well, actually I guess I only hated Nirvana.  Hard for me to face facts but it was pretty much dead anyways, a victim of its own overblown self.  Point being, I agree that sometimes really good musicians do get lost in the shuffle by being thrown into that 80's category.  I saw Winger "back in the day" along with two other bands of the time and they were great, a very memorable show.  All of these four mentioned above are excellent musicians, and are still working.  I even hear there will be a Mr. Big tour of Europe this summer.  Lets hope they bring it stateside.

Edited to add:  Yeah you're right Winger wasn't what I would call metal but still a good sound and representative of the time.

Where did you get the Mr Big info? Sounds good.

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 11 2009, 09:16 AM)

I'm a great fan of the 80's HairBand/HairMetal phase of music.  I was in high school and college and it was a great soundrack for those years.  For the most part I equally hated the whole grunge movement that killed it.  Well, actually I guess I only hated Nirvana.  Hard for me to face facts but it was pretty much dead anyways, a victim of its own overblown self.  Point being, I agree that sometimes really good musicians do get lost in the shuffle by being thrown into that 80's category.  I saw Winger "back in the day" along with two other bands of the time and they were great, a very memorable show.  All of these four mentioned above are excellent musicians, and are still working.  I even hear there will be a Mr. Big tour of Europe this summer.  Lets hope they bring it stateside.

Edited to add:  Yeah you're right Winger wasn't what I would call metal but still a good sound and representative of the time.

they just did a press conference this week about japan. i am sure you can get it on youtube

1022.gif

QUOTE (wrekinboy @ Feb 11 2009, 02:16 PM)

Have a look here... http://metalichicka.wordpress.com/2009/02/...tes-japan-2009/

The guys a legend..

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/leemillward/img006.jpg

Should be seeing /photographing Judas Priest/Megadeath next week 1287.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 10 2009, 08:29 PM)

Yes!!!..a WINGER discussion!!

The band themselves were all top notch and Winger himself just did something with i think allan parsons and i believe he did something with Jordan Rudess as well.....the guy is talented. Same with Rod Morgenstein , who teaches percussion at Berklee and played with the Dixie Dregs.

But they looked like poodles and they wrote candy ass tunes back in the hair period. They wanted the cash and they got it!

As was stated before, the guitarists back then were influenced by the SOLOS of Van Halen and Rhoads, but they forgot you needed to also write songs, wich both of those guys could do quite well.

trink38.gif 1022.gif 653.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 11 2009, 09:39 AM)

they just did a press conference this week about japan. i am sure you can get it on youtube

1022.gif

I loved Mr. Big; I don't care what anyone says. A lot of talent in that band.

They were HUGE in Japan, so it's no surprise that they'd reunite for some shows there.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 11 2009, 09:47 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 11 2009, 09:39 AM)

1022.gif

I loved Mr. Big; I don't care what anyone says. A lot of talent in that band.

They were HUGE in Japan, so it's no surprise that they'd reunite for some shows there.

I have the first 3 Mr Big albums and I recently went back to "rediscover" them. I can't say they hold up all that well today. I did enjoy them when they opened for Rush during the Bones tour however.

"are you addicted to...RUSH?!" 1022.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Feb 11 2009, 12:00 AM)
It was a mostly chick thing at that time, but you can't deny that those bands were, for the most part, easy on the eyes. I could go on and on about that. The prettier the better as far as we were concerned back then.

But, isn't that the whole allure of the Hair bands in a nutshell though. The girls fell for these groups because of a poster or a record cover they saw prior to, or simultaneous to actually hearing the music. The perceived attractiveness of the musicians was a huge determining factor in whether or not you'd purchase their products or attend their shows. And, should aesthetics ever weigh into your evaluation of such a faceless thing as music?

Being a guy myself, I've never been able to relate to that kinda mindset. Dudes with an intense interest in music usually focused on the art itself, complelety detached from artist who produced it. Schitt, I think I went four or five years without ever knowing who was even in the band, Tool. And, I wouldn't have a clue as to what the majority of the other bands that I dig look like, unless I happened to randomly stumble upon a band photo. Guys never actively search for that kinda info.

But, that's not to say that a male can't become obsessed with a particular artist whose music he relates to deeply. I just can't see a straight guy having any interest in discovering what his favourite artist's birth sign, favourite color or shoe size is. Or, hanging his photo above the bed. These things have nothing to do with music. They're preludes to a restraining order is what they is.

I'm trying to think if I've ever had a 'man crush' on any artist, past or present. And, I guess that I actually did kinda have Bromantic feelings towards Chris Cornell for a short stint there in the mid-nineties. The guy just had the most awesome voice. He penned some seriously deep songs. He was the frontman for one of the 90's most awesome bands, who, to me sounded like a cross between Zeppelin and Sabbath. And, I thought that the dude had a very cool Rock Star look to him, either with that mop of hair, or without it. Coming out of a bar one night, I was happy to hear that some girl thought that I looked like him. A few years later, when he came around with his solo band, I saw them live twice and my girlfriend at the time got me a chance to meet him....But, my slight obsession with the guy all stemmed from the music. I bought the first Soundgarden album without ever knowing what the chap looked like.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Feb 11 2009, 01:30 PM)
It was a mostly chick thing at that time, but you can't deny that those bands were, for the most part, easy on the eyes.  I could go on and on about that.  The prettier the better as far as we were concerned back then.

But, isn't that the whole allure of the Hair bands in a nutshell though. The girls fell for these groups because of a poster or a record cover they saw prior to, or simultaneous to actually hearing the music. The perceived attractiveness of the musicians was a huge determining factor in whether or not you'd purchase their products or attend their shows. And, should aesthetics ever weigh into your evaluation of such a faceless thing as music?

Being a guy myself, I've never been able to relate to that kinda mindset. Dudes with an intense interest in music usually focused on the art itself, complelety detached from artist who produced it. Schitt, I think I went four or five years without ever knowing who was even in the band, Tool. And, I wouldn't have a clue as to what the majority of the other bands that I dig look like, unless I happened to randomly stumble upon a band photo. Guys never actively search for that kinda info.

But, that's not to say that a male can't become obsessed with a particular artist whose music he relates to deeply. I just can't see a straight guy having any interest in discovering what his favourite artist's birth sign, favourite color or shoe size is. Or, hanging his photo above the bed. These things have nothing to do with music. They're preludes to a restraining order is what they is.

I'm trying to think if I've ever had a 'man crush' on any artist, past or present. And, I guess that I actually did kinda have Bromantic feelings towards Chris Cornell for a short stint there in the mid-nineties. The guy just had the most awesome voice. He penned some seriously deep songs. He was the frontman for one of the 90's most awesome bands, who, to me sounded like a cross between Zeppelin and Sabbath. And, I thought that the dude had a very cool Rock Star look to him, either with that mop of hair, or without it. Coming out of a bar one night, I was happy to hear that some girl thought that I looked like him. A few years later, when he came around with his solo band, I saw them live twice and my girlfriend at the time got me a chance to meet him....But, my slight obsession with the guy all stemmed from the music. I bought the first Soundgarden album without ever knowing what the chap looked like.

I think we're going a bit off topic here, aren't we??

wink.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Feb 11 2009, 04:02 PM)
The 80s ruled for metal. I'll take a shitty sounding thrash album over some boring 90s rock any day.

I dunno. Choosing between 80s Hair Metal or 90s Grunge Rock is like choosing between "The Beastmaster" on Showtime or "The Beastmaster 2" on Cinemax. Both options kinda suck.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 11 2009, 01:40 PM)
It was a mostly chick thing at that time, but you can't deny that those bands were, for the most part, easy on the eyes.  I could go on and on about that.  The prettier the better as far as we were concerned back then.

I think we're going a bit off topic here, aren't we??

wink.gif

yes we are.

Sin After Sin! 1022.gif

Amazing how a simple question about JP ends up as a discussion about Winger and 80' Hair Metal..

I don't think the allure at that time was based on how the band looked, the music of that time was based on nothing but fun. Yes, the physical appearance of a band might be the initial draw for some for a first album sale, but this theory doesn't always ring true. Some of those bands were very pretty but didn't last long. Some of the prettiest of them were only around for one or two albums and never got past being an opening act.

If I were buying albums on looks alone I would be missing a lot of good music. Chicks don't always buy and listen to music based on the hair/wardrobe of the lead singer. Many do, but not all of us.

As for Chris Cornell, I've never heard that Zeppelin sound in his work. Many people say that, but anything of his I've heard doesn't remind me of Zep at all.

And yes, it is a tour of Japan for Mr. Big, I got it confused with someone else. They were an opener on the Roll the Bones tour? I saw them open for Rush, but I thought it was earlier than Roll the Bones. I have no memory of those years any more.

Archived